• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Has anyone ever tubelessed DT Swiss 5.1 rims?
  • jimmy

I’ve read of folk asking how to do it, and kits being sold for the job which are just normal tubeless gear. has anyone got real experience of it?

Vortexracing

yip, loads of them, I used the DT swiss tubeless kit.

worked a treat

boxelder

A while ago, but used a kit (made by….. something begining with ‘e’), which worked well. Stan’s strips will work fine – come in different sizes

daveh
    Free Member

Been tubeless on a 5.1 for 2 years now. Used the ghetto method, no issues whatsoever. In fact, I’ve just popped a new tyre on there and reused the original tube, saved doing all the trimming again!

Edit: Oh, and its good and secure, 25psi, me 15-16 stone, Hans Dampf missing many side knobs. 😀

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah, run CM’s F&R for ages inc a trip over to Spain without issues

jimmy

Brill thanks

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes. Using the Eclipse kit, which is the same as the DT branded stuff. Have to be dead careful about fitting it – leave it 24 hours for the adhesive tape to cure properly or it slips. Tyre fiting needs a good accumulator/compressor but once on, they stay on, never once had a problem.

br
    Free Member

I used the Stans rimstrip kit in mine, 7 y/o now.

Northwind

I did mine with a DT kit on one end and stans the other, both really good. Tried it with just tape, really can’t recommend that- it inflated without fuss and stayed up but it was very easy to push the tyre off the rim because of the bead design.

docrobster
    Free Member

Yep
    Originally with the pukka dtswiss kit which was a pita to mount tyres on
    Later with rim tape and a stans strip.
    Never had any major burping problems.

vmgscot

Running this setup at present.
    Used Gorilla tape and stans jiz with Maxxis Minion DHF and HR2.
    Good experience for me.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Back in the day they used to be ‘eclipse’ tubeless kits. I think DT bought them out and they became what the DT kit is today.

The kits worked fine but compared to a stans flow (pre EX), a DT 5.1 plus tubeless kit was a fair bit heavier and narrower over two wheels.

I was looking to improve overall weight and system simplicity and moved to Stans rims, but as a product, the DT kit worked perfectly well.

jimmy

So theres more to it then just rim tape, valves and juice?

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Ive got my 5.1 rims set up tubless with the joes rim strips from CRC
    One burp in past 3 years no other problems
    Minion and cross mark tyres

Klunk
    Free Member

been running 5.1 with stans yellow tape for 3 yrs now without issue. used loads of different tyres, from baggy paper thin spesh to proper UST schwalbe and old used nobby nics

carlos
    Free Member

jimmy – Member
    So theres more to it then just rim tape, valves and juice?

Nope, not IME anyway.

1) Remove old rim tape and clean the inside of the rim properly
    2) Wrap the rim with 2 layers of (I used SS) rim tape of the correct width
    3) Fit tyre and tube, leave over night
    4) Remove tube, align logos, fit valve and put in Stans or other Juice
    5) Pump up and slosh about or better still go for a short ride with your pump
    6) Adjust pressure to suit
    7) Sit back with cold beer and post on here how easy it is to do

jimmy

There was more to it, I knew!

align logos

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever tubelessed DT Swiss 5.1 rims?’ is closed to new replies.