Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Has anyone ever thought (£££££ content)
  • Kryton57

… **** it, I’m just going to buy all this, with this <insert credit card name here> and actually done it?

crikey
    Free Member

Not me, but I have a friend who took a Kawasaki Ninja out for a test ride, rode home, put it in his garage then drove back to the shop and said ‘I’ll have it, how much?’, and bought it there and then.

wrightyson
    Free Member

A friend of the wife, and her husband had 50k (apparently) at one time on cards, new cars, us holidays etc etc. Me and the good lady, well if we can’t pay for it we don’t have it. Sure we sleep a lot easier at night..,,

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve occasionally done it but only when I’ve had the money to do it.

Last time was 7 years ago with a brand new Mazda 3 Sport. Still have it now though and don’t intend on giving it up.

Rockape63
    Free Member

It frightens me how easy it is to get in debt, as its so difficult to get back out of it. Like Wrightyson, if I haven’t got the money I don’t buy it. Holidays, cars, bikes etc. the only debt I’ve had in the last 10 yrs is the mortgage.

Kryton57

Rockape, me too.

But 50k on cards? Jeez, I had in mind a new telly and some decorating.

toppers3933
    Free Member

used to. got me into all kinds of shit. don’t do it anymore. im now firmly in the ‘ if i dont have the money, i dont buy it’ camp. and a lot happier for it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sadly there’s was a huge case of “keeping up with the jones’ ”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I did it with an Orange 5. Did the test ride, went back to the shop & ordered a frame with different bits to the demo bike. Best 3.4K I ever spent!
    It was cash though, not credit card. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Silly – should have paid on the CC and got the insurance cover.

tomhoward

I fancied a takeaway tonight and I thought **** it, I’m having one. Paid cold hard cash.

I know.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Brought a road bike two years ago on the CC when I spotted one at half price. Best thing I have ever done. Dropped the thick end of 4 stone and met shite loads of good folks.

redsox
    Free Member

used to. got me into all kinds of shit. don’t do it anymore. im now firmly in the ‘ if i dont have the money, i dont buy it’ camp. and a lot happier for it.

Yep! I’m paying off the debt I accumulated due to stupidity and lack of patience. Sure I’m skint a lot of the time, but I’m now not buying shit I don’t need, which is liberating. Amazing when you’re not slapping it on a credit card how much more expensive and pointless a video game looks (just one of many examples) 😀

Northwind

My main bike- very happilly stuck it on the card, don’t regret it at all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Went to get a Fridge freezer, worked back from the really expensive ones, got a good deal and left with a 60″ tv too… still 18 months interest free at an amount we can actually afford. Means we have somewhere to put all the pig now it’s chopped up.

Some things I pay cash for, some things go on the credit card, sometimes I buy things I can’t afford, sometimes I think ‘I can’t afford that’, sometimes I have a huge debt, sometimes it’s not so huge, sometimes I make a ridiculous amount of money, sometimes I spend a ridiculous amount of money – it’s all a bit meh! One thing I don’t do is lose any sleep over it!

bommer
    Free Member

We had somebody take a test ride on a Brompton – we were charging full price for the bike on a card and then refunding the charge when the bike was brought back. Chap goes out on his test ride, never saw him again.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Once in another life I was like this. I knew things were getting bad, so before the financial vultures started circling overhead, I got a pair of Float RLCs on the card.
    Then it turned into 2 years of financial meltdown, nearly got declared bankrupt, but managed to get bailed out that time and havent touched any credit or run up any debt in the last 3 years.
    I sleep better now.
    Toying with getting a new credit card, using it once a month for the shopping, paying it off in full every month to try and build up some sort of credit rating.

Dickyboy

As a student I cut my credit card up & sent it back to the bank – they sent me a new one by return & my good intention of hitching to the south of france turned into a bit of a trains, planes, automobiles & alcohol fueled event 😳 never really been tempted to overspend since

Sancho
    Free Member

I bought my merc like that, but that was a debit card not a credit card.

mattbee

I got it all out of my system when I was a student, and 18 years later I’ve pretty much paid it all off.
    Now I buy stuff with cash I’ve got. Doesn’t make some of my purchases any more sensible but at least when I get buyers remorse it’s not followed up by a credit card bill.
    If I didn’t have my wife to rein me in I reckon I’d be far more profligate.

totalshell

use our T***o credit card to buy everything, everything for home and work.. current average spend is 12k a month.. we get gadzillions of clubcard points.. went to Airkix and legoland last month on them..
    p.s. pay it off in full every month..

Kryton57

totalshell – Member
    ….current average spend is 12k a month… p.s. pay it off in full every month…

This is a typo right, or do we have a high roller in our midst? £12k a month!?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

use our T***o credit card to buy everything….
    …we get gadzillions of clubcard points

+1 (but more like £1k a month for us)
    Pay it off every month, and get loads of useful free stuff – RAC membership, Eurotunnel crossings, a garden shed etc.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Passed a bike shop en route from being dumped by an ex and bought a road bike on impulse.

It was a low day for me 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

I helped out on a mates stand at the London Boat Show ooohhhh back in 01/02 ( scratches head) and the first Thursdays are normally for the press, well the show was closed for 2 hours, incl the press, except exhibitors were open.. Anyhoos a tribe of Arab Sheiks came meandering and bought the two biggest mega power cruisers right there, right then. We all were aghast at the rumours that went around saying things like ” I’ll take that & that *clicks fingers* ” as one of the men in black takes out a black card…..

Me, well I’ve just paid £25 for tea & cake in Betty’s in That Harrogate. I am empowered 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Went to see iron man 3 the other day courtesy of tesco. Same as above, absolutely everything even down to a £1.20 paper shop spend goes on the credit card to get the points, then pay off at end of month!

tonyd

Thought about it a lot but I have an aversion to debt.

tomhoward

Me, well I’ve just paid £25 for tea & cake in Betty’s in That Harrogate. I am empowered

I’ll be passing in 20 mins. Save me some?

edit. that said, £25 in bettys buys you a cake and a brew. Carry on….

warton
    Free Member

my take on it is it’s very easy to get into debt and pay it back at 0% interest on Credit cards these days. So if I want something bigish that I can’t afford outright, I’ll buy it, and then make sure I commit to paying off the debt in the same time it would have taken me to save for it.

I don’t really see a difference.

khani
    Free Member

edit. that said, £25 in bettys buys you a cake and a brew. Carry on….

When I went (a while ago) £25 got you a big pot of tea and one of those three tier plate thingys full of cakey goodness..
    Mmmmmmmcakeygoodnessmmmm…

FuzzyWuzzy

My best road bike started off with the idea of getting a really nice frame but mid-range bits to keep the cost sensible, but once in the shop with the parts catalogue out I soon ended up with Dura-Ace and other fancy bits, and a credit card balance I’m still paying off two years later :p

kiwijohn

as one of the men in black takes out a black card…..

A mate who was a waiter got to say “Sorry, we don’t take amex”

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought a track frame the other day on (admittedly 0%) credit, because I thought they were a special factory clearance on sale and I’d miss out. They weren’t on sale, they are always that price apparently 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I’m pretty rubbish at this frankly. Always have a bit on cards, gradually chip away at it, then buy something else I don’t really need. Doesn’t bother me hugely, can always pay far more than minimum off, a bit of interest isn’t really the end of the world. Could get myself into a lot of trouble though, got nearly £25k of credit across 3 cards.

I’m very seriously considering buying my next car on a credit card, (c£12k probably), as the interest rate on my Barclaycard is more favourable than most loans.

ononeorange

I was recuperating from surgery earlier in the year and was pulling apart my Pro II rear hub (stay with me). I realised that I didn’t have one of the Hope bearing tools, wanted to have the proper tools so rang up a decent bike shop and they agreed to split a set and send me what I needed. Of course, during the conversation we naturally turned to their demo bikes and by the end of the conversation I’d bought one.

Seemed a result for a sub-£10 tool being missing!

footflaps

Could get myself into a lot of trouble though, got nearly £25k of credit across 3 cards.

Not an ideal situation to be in, would only take a small change in circumstances, eg loss of job, to suddenly be swamped with debt.

mightymule
    Free Member

Many, many times!

Only in cash though.

djglover
    Free Member

I often use cards 0% to make big purchases. I wouldn’t buy anything on a credit card unless I had the savings to pay it off, or thought I could raise the cash in the 0% period.

Risky, but saves ’00s in the long run and helps you get stuff earlier 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Not an ideal situation to be in, would only take a small change in circumstances, eg loss of job, to suddenly be swamped with debt.

Sorry, should make myself clear – I could potentially amass £25k of debt if I maxed out all my cards. I have nothing like that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever thought (£££££ content)’ is closed to new replies.