Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Has anyone ever taken their own bike to Australia?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,

Going to Aus in Sept/Oct and would like to take my own bike with me.
    Unfortunately it is too big for the airline's maximum bagge size (not weight, but volume, large package due to integrated seat mast)
    Though of posting it, cheapest courier is UPS and they want £640. Each way.

Anyone done it? If you took it on the plane with you which airline was it and how much did they charge?

Other option is to borrow/hire one there, any recomendations in Canberra area?

Marmoset
    Free Member

Took mine over 10 years ago and I went with BA – I don't recall having to pay anything extra but I came in under total baggage allowance includding the bike (I think it was a 30kg allowance then)

Clean it scrupulously though – I had to scrub my tyres when I landed there – the options were do that or send the bike away for a few days and pay lots of money!

R979
    Free Member

I took mine 18 months ago but I was able to fit it in a bike bag. No problems with Singapore Airlines.

I'm afraid I can't help with Canberra bike shops or hire.

+1 for cleaning. No mud, dirt, anything.

convert

Seats masts thingies are a rubbish idea for this very reason. A friend managed to get his in a bag/box by removing the chainset but they were quite short themselves.

Sam

Another of the drawbacks of integrated seat masts… I'd be inclined to just get it into a box somehow and turn up at the airport. I've taken (normal sized) bikes in both directions many times no problem. If you don't mind not having it for a month or so either side of your trip you could sea freight it which will be much cheaper.

epicyclo

Why not simply buy a bike in Oz and sell it when you go? Or for that matter store it at a mate's for your next visit.

I've got 4 bikes dotted around Oz 🙂

You going for the World 24Hr Solos?

convert

Slightly more constructive thought – buying a cheap frame and moving your kit across on to it then selling on return would not exactly be "your" bike, but a lot cheaper than hiring or freighing out the silly tall one.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

andrewh – you haven't said how long you're going for matey, so it's a bit hard to offer any hard and fast advice.

If it's just for a holiday and there's no feasible way of taking the bike as part of your airline luggage, I'd probably look into hiring a bike from one of the many – very good – Canberra bike shops. Importing a bike into Aus as part of a separate shipment is a real hassle, even if sent as fast as possible by very expensive air frieght – and it can take up to 2 weeks just to clear Australian customs. If you're out there for longer, but not permanently, however, I'd definitely recommend buying a bike out there and selling it when you leave.

I took my bike out with me to Aus for 13 months while I was working out there, along with a few other possessions – in the end I think it must've cost around about £1200 total for the round trip – and I was separated from my things for 2 months on the way out and 4 months on the way back! Hmmmm… I wouldn't be doing that again! Hindsight is 20:20 😀

zokes
    Free Member

I've just spent the night cleaning all five of mine before I emigrate shortly. By spotless, they mean almost showroom fresh! Given my lack of time, I had to resort to a pressure washer unfortunately. I know I've probably guffed up every bearing in them, but they need a good service anyway, and I'd rather get them in hassle free.

Depending how long you're going for, I'd hire…

epicyclo

If you're a single speed rider Australian Single Speed Nationals in Canberra

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever taken their own bike to Australia?’ is closed to new replies.