Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Has anyone ever bought a car through the Ford Direct scheme?
  • devash
    Free Member

Evening all. We’re currently looking for a nearly new Ford Focus and have come across the Ford Direct scheme available through Ford dealerships where you can get a nearly new car between 6 months to a year old, low mileage, with a two year warranty and RAC check included.

I’ve read some good reviews of this scheme online but I’d be interested to hear experiences from anyone on here has purchased a Ford through it. Was the warranty fairly comprehensive? What was the general condition of the car etc?

The nearest Ford garage with an extensive range of Ford Direct cars is a good two hours drive away so I’m looking to get as much info as possible before making the trip.

nickdavies

At under a year old, the warranty is largely irrelevant you’ll get the same as you would buying anywhere given the 3 year warranty from new. It’s more the older cars with 3rd party warranties you need to be wary of. Really, you’re just buying a ford from a ford dealer, if you were buying closer to 3 years old obviously the benefits of the ford scheme would be more important. But yes, service is good – expect cars to be nearly immaculate and in my experience not badly priced. I had a 6 month old focus titanium X from them and it was perfect over 3 years. Also the servicing is good they chuck in a years Europe breakdown cover which could cost more than the service. I’d buy another nearly new ford happily.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks Nick. Always had Fords in the past and never had any issues with them so agree the warranty is more piece of mind than a necessity.

Current car is a Renault, our first and last. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    servo
    Free Member

You can get a great discount on new cars. I bought my focus using drive the deal website and it was over £5000 off RRP. You get a bigger finance contribution from Ford on a new rather than 6 month car. Dont forget you can pay off the finance any time and keep the deposit contribution.

My car was meant to be over £25K but I got it for £19.5K. Brand new, first owner with all the options and colour specified by me.

If you don’t want to use drive the deal you can still use their price to beat a local dealer down. My local dealer got down to £20.5K after initially refusing to budge from RRP.

Thinking about buying a Focus ST estate in the spring 😀

rocketman
    Free Member

The direct scheme is the same as many others. Ford management/staff/dealers cars they’re encouraged (and taxed) to change every 3-6 months and these nearly new low mileage cars go into the scheme.

At the moment Ford have scheme for new cars whereby you sign up for a PCP and get £700-800 off whatever price you’ve agreed with the dealer (remember RRP is pure fiction). It’s possible to clear balance at the end of the first month without penalty @ <1% interest

drivethedeal is good if you’re not too fussed about a particular spec and can be used as leverage but some dealers simply won’t budge

The best thing about Fords and Ford dealers is they’re hardly an endangered species and there’s always another one. Personally I would not drive two hours to look at a Ford. If it’s part of the same network cars can be swapped or failing that your nearest dealer will have a comprehensive list of what’s available. Although you may be wary of buying something you haven’t actually seen or driven ime they are very good at prepping the car and any little nicks or scuffs are taken care of. Sadly you don’t know who’s used (or abused) the car from new and they do have a disposable feel to them. Also surprisng how many have been owned by people who smoke/have BO/eat lots of curry

mike_p
    Free Member

A mate of mine works for Ford, he says Ford Direct is the outlet for ex-cars of Ford staff (not demonstrators, these are dealer-specific). He always has two new Fords on his driveway provided by the co., and never keeps them for more than a year. It’s these that get disposed of via Ford Direct. Some have been well looked after, others not so much, same as with all used cars.

hooli

We did, car was immaculate, so clean that you would have been hard pushed to tell it was 2nd hand.

Not the cheapest place for a 2nd hand car but that’s a given with a main dealer.

simon_g

You can get a great discount on new cars. I bought my focus using drive the deal website and it was over £5000 off RRP. You get a bigger finance contribution from Ford on a new rather than 6 month car. Dont forget you can pay off the finance any time and keep the deposit contribution.

This. Assuming you have the time to wait for a new order, it’s really worth seeing what a broker (drivethedeal, orangewheels, carwow, etc) can do.

Just tried a middling Focus (1.5 Ecoboot Titanium) and it’s £15582, or £5762 off list, PCP finance at 2.9%. Cheapest equivalent I can find on Ford Direct is £15241, for a 2015 car with 6k miles.

teesoo

We bought our Mondeo at just under a year old through Ford Direct. I was told that they came from some sort of central ‘pool’ so that any Ford dealer could get you the same car. Meant that we could play one dealer off against another for the best deal. Had to pay a £500 deposit to have the car brought to the local dealership, but this would have been refunded if we weren’t happy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To me its just the same as buying any used Ford from anywhere. Still has warranty etc. Not sure what benefit you are getting as a customer?

devash
    Free Member

Better warranty. About a thousand pounds cheaper than anywhere else.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Better warranty

Why is it a better warranty when the car is still under manufacturer warranty?

A few months ago we bout a 10 month old Fiesta from a garage. No Ford main dealer could get within £1.5k for a similar car.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got my SMax through that scheme – 2500 miles and 9 months old. Full 2yr warranty, full AA cover (so basically the same as a brand new car), and about £8k cheaper than the brand new sticker price (though no-one pay’s the full sticker price). No problems, it was just like buying a brand new car. Not sure how you could see any downside to it?

devash
    Free Member

A few months ago we bout a 10 month old Fiesta from a garage. No Ford main dealer could get within £1.5k for a similar car.

Cool

GrahamS

Ford Direct is the outlet for ex-cars of Ford staff

Yep. Both our Fords (Focus and Fiesta) belonged to my brother and sister in-law before us, who both worked for Jaguar back when it was part of Ford.

They used to get cars for six months then sell them on to family members through the Ford Direct scheme. 😀

All stopped now that Tata are in charge, unless we want a Jag of course.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever bought a car through the Ford Direct scheme?’ is closed to new replies.