Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Has anyone ever been charged with drunk while in control of a mountain bike?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

If you have what exactly do they do to you and can you be jailed?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mandatory jail sentence my friend. Between 3 and 5 years depending on how pissed you are.

allthegear
    Free Member

kaesae – for some really convoluted reason that doesn't come to mind right now, the Police are not allowed to use the breathalyser machines for mountain bikers, especially ones on full suspension bikes. Because of that, they tend to do USA-style "competency tests", with an MTB twist. They tens to ask you loads of technical questions about your bike, including exactly how many and what type of bearings are in use in the suspension and son – you should do just fine – you're an expert!!!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Almost. Once just avoided crashing into a police car. Pissed as a newt. They made me get off and push the bike, and followed me down the road a fair bit.

As soon as they were gone, I got straight back on the bike. They should have nicked me really. I mean, what if I'd knocked someone down, and killed them? It'd be the police's fault. 😐

Talkemada
    Free Member

Mandatory jail sentence my friend. Between 3 and 5 years depending on how pissed you are.

What a load of bollocks! 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

>Mandatory jail sentence my friend. Between 3 and 5 years depending on how pissed you are.

Must be a Scotch thing, no such law here in England 🙂

nickc

I was laughed at by a couple of cops once, and told that "it would probably be better for every-one if I pushed it"

Does that help?

igm

If this is true, best not tell the organisers of single speed events.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

blimey if only they had parked at the end of the road after our clubs Christmas dinner, drunk mountain bikers and icy roads meant more crashes than a ITV4 compilation show,

I didn't feel a thing but by golly i ached like a good un the next morning!!

Ticklinjock

Must be a Scotch thing
    very clever 😆

Flaperon

Think they can prosecute you but rarely do. They can't breathalyse you because there are no defined limits for bikes.

Like others on here, the police have hinted that it might be a good idea if I pushed the bike home instead of weaving drunkenly through Leeds.

Davy
    Free Member

A couple of friends of mine were stopped while riding home from our Christmas fancy dress pub crawl ride. They were on a tandem, dressed as a gorrilla and captain hook, and completely incapable of riding in a straight line/standing up. The police suggested that they used the quieter back lanes to get home, then sent them on their way. 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

And of course they'll ask you the killer question. When you've been on the lash which are the best Tyres….

yunki
    Free Member

a good many years back I noticed a police car in front of me.. they informed me that they had followed me for about half a mile and that I had fallen off on 6 occasions during that time and I would probably be safer pushing the rest of the way home..

I took their word for it…

RoterStern
    Free Member

AFAIK in the UK there is no law against being drunk in charge of a push bike. However over here in Germany where I live you can lose your driving license if you are caught(in fact any offence you do while on a bike will mean points on your driving license).

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Last June after a few beers with a mate I was riding home around 21.30 on a very quiet road with lights & lid when the blues & twos from behind had me wondering where they were going? I was stopped, questioned & given a breath test which I failed. After being given a stop & search card, was told to push the rest of the way as he was on duty for the night and if he saw me riding again that evening he would nick me for drink driving!

richcc
    Free Member

I had a fantastic ride home from boozer on a chopper with no lights. Ended up in the hedge a few times because I was laughing so hard

andyl46
    Free Member

On a moonless night in the country I was cycling home without lights on a cycle path. To this day I wonder why the metal marker posts are black. I was on the ground before I knew it, but it was a very embarrassing off.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I was cycling back from the pub after a few pints once on a similar moonless night along the local lanes. Couldn't really see the road at all on the downhill section through the woods, so was relying on the force and my outstretched legs feeling for the banks on either side of the road for guidance.
    Saw a car coming towards me, so steered left until I hit the bank, then flopped against it waiting for the car to pass. The car took forever to reach me and as it got closer realised it was a taxi and must be slowing down because it was lost. When it stopped I dragged myself off the embankment, stuck my head in the car to see where they wanted to go, and on seeing the uniforms belatedly realised that the thing on top of the car wasn't a taxi indicator.
    I smiled, in the sober way that all drunks attempt and apologised for the lack of lights.
    They smiled back in the way that you do when talking to a drunk, said 'Take it easy' and drove on.

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but after a few pints of strong ale, I just want to ride faster and faster. Maybe the perception of speed is different or its just wanting to get home quicker without being nicked. Dunno.

CountZero

Talkemada – Member
    What a load of bollocks!

I think, considering who the OP is, that that answer is not entirely serious.

DavidB
    Free Member

Our road club xmas party does 40 miles home after a lunchtime in the pub. I quickly regretted the 3 pints and wine.

naokfreek
    Free Member

My old Kona has done it again, a few to many vino blancs at the old mans yesterday…on the way home managed to ride straight into some railings on Brentford High Street, both knees, both hands and upper left arm are very sore and rather bloody. I'll never learn.

At least i did'nt brake anything unlike its last victim, broken arm, and a face that looked like it had gone ten rounds with a brick.

anagallis_arvensis

I have woken up with huge hangovers and no idea how I got home many times in the past and found my bike neatly parked in the hall…… I've also ended up in casualty… never been arrested though.

kaesae
    Free Member

Bikes, bevy and BBQ's my idea of heaven!

kaesae
    Free Member

I find once I start to ride if feel much better and can ride reasonably well.

Talkemada
    Free Member

AFAIK in the UK there is no law against being drunk in charge of a push bike.

There is. I don't know the exact wording of it's title, but you can be done for riding a bike on public roads, whilst being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. I think the legal limits for driving apply. You can be done for riding a horse whilst drunk, too. As they can't penalise you like they can car drivers, they can fine you a hefty amount.

I have woken up with huge hangovers and no idea how I got home many times in the past and found my bike neatly parked in the hall…… I've also ended up in casualty… never been arrested though.

Same here, re the bike being safely inside. I've woken up in a panic, wondering where TF my bike was, but it's been fine. My flatmate once found my bike outside the flat, not locked up, one night. My most expensive bike, too…

Not ended up in casualty or been arrested while on my bike, apart from the time I got done for screaming abuse to some chunt in a BMW.

Last year I had a crash late one night, whilst pissed. Have no recollection of the crash at all, but suffered concussion, broke my favourite helmet, done my elbow, shoulder and hip in (elbow is still a bit fecked). Missed a mate's wedding because of the concussion. 🙁

I'll never learn.

Hopefully I have. I don't get pissed if I'm on my bike any more. It's not worth the risk.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

That's the actual offence if anyone really cares, Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988.

No breathalysers, no specific limits, no points, it's just naughty to cycle if you're too pissed to do it properly. Fines are (I think) up to £2500, and bridleways are included.

Much like the leatherman/penknife laws that were debated earlier in the week, if a) you're not being a bellend and b) the policeman isn't either, you're very unlikely to get done for it.

kaesae
    Free Member

Can you get banned from driving for it though?

thegreatape
    Free Member

No

kaesae
    Free Member

Sweet!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Can you get banned from driving for it though?

That would be a but silly and unfair, because someone who doesn't have a driving licence won't then suffer any 'punishment'. So, the deterrent factor to non-drivers would be non-existant. Hence why you can get a hefty fine. Over a grand, I think. I could be wrong though.

In that respect, the German law seems a little daft. I can imagine all the non-drivers riding around pissed all the time! 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

Talkemada

Mad laws you mean like the banks stealing billions and people being jailed for not having TV licenses?

For every one law that makes sense there are three that are mad at least.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Kesae, the Law can be an ass at times, and yes, there is injustice. Mostly though, I think our Law is pretty good really.

kaesae
    Free Member

The rich use the judicial system and courts like it was their own personal play gound and the laws favour anyone with money. Yes our laws are better than other countries but the judicial system is still a pantomime and the law is a farce.

kaesae
    Free Member

Since it’s that season again, has anyone been stopped for being drunk on their bike?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My friends brother in law got done. Because he was an arse when stopped he got arrested, night in the cells and fined. Dunno if he got fined fro drunk in charge or drunk and disorderly.

Having spoken to senior traffic cops about this they will only arrest you if you are being an arse. Otherwise you get told to walk your bike home. Some cops will let your tyres down to make sure you walk home

br
    Free Member

Many, many years ago a neighbours son ended up in (Magistrates) court and got a small fine for riding drunk – can’t remember the circumstances etc, but it can’t have been serious as he was flying jets for the RAF within a couple of years.

RealMan
    Free Member

Fines are (I think) up to £2500

That’s what I’ve heard as well. I’ve always found myself to be more stable on a bike then on my feet when drunk..

kaesae
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve found that as well, that if I do ride when drunk or when I did in the past, I didn’t really feel the effects of the drink.

Maybe it’s just the increased circulation and air intake.

I would love to see a race with people who are drunk wearing silly costumes, that would be very funny!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever been charged with drunk while in control of a mountain bike?’ is closed to new replies.