Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Has anyone ever attempted stand up comedy?
  • sharkattack

I recently had my first experience of live comedy and it was brilliant.

I love stand up comedy and when it’s done well it’s amazing. Until now I’ve only seen it done on TV and DVD by professionals who make it look easy.

Recently I went to my first local gig at a comedy club to see a bunch of unknowns doing their thing and it was brilliant. There was three touring comedians who I’d never heard of who were all excellent. There was also a couple of locals doing their first ever bit. They had five minutes each and were both very funny. The crowd has very supportive and there was no heckling or abuse and it was all good vibes all night. I actually can’t wait to go back. So much better than passively staring at a cinema screen or sitting in a pub.

It’s the first time I’ve seen ‘normal’ people doing stand up and the first time I’ve seen the connection between thinking “I could do that” and then getting up and doing it.

Which leads me to my question…
    Has anyone ever had a bash at stand up? It’s not something I could ever see myself doing. I’d be paralysed by fear if I was plonked on stage with a microphone.

But this being STW, there must be someone here who’s tried it!

bokonon
    Free Member

I used to compare a student stand up night in the early 00’s, we had such unknowns as Ross Noble and Jimmy Carr performing to 100 people or so.

I was pretty crap, shouted too much and generally wasn’t really that funny, but I was generally pretty pissed and just carried on regardless – this had the effect of making the actual comics look good, well, that’s what I tell my self anyway. Haven’t done much since, did a few bits here and there, other student gigs that kind of thing – I know make my living standing up in front of people teaching, so it was probably good training.

fasthaggis

Has anyone ever attempted stand up comedy?

Every time I log on here 😉

Used to do some short comedy sketches on the local stage as part of a show,two handers mostly so I could always blame my partner if it was crap.
    🙂

Bregante

No, because I’m genuinely not funny. My mate is though and he’s doing really well on the comedy club circuit around London. Its still very much a hobby at the moment but he’d love to go full time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/roblavs

miketually
    Free Member

I friend organises a set of local comedy nights and has put on shows for 4 weeks at Edinburgh. He’s had Reginald D Hunter, John Bishop, Sarah Millican, Chris Ramsey, Jason Cook, and the like at his before they got big.

I like to think that I could do it: (I like to think) I’m reasonably funny, and my job involves talking a lot to groups of people and includes improvisation and funnies*.

*I’m a teacher, as were/are lots of stand-ups

jekkyl

I’ve often thought I could have a go at writing an act but getting up in front of people is a different matter.

seven
    Free Member

done a best man’s speech twice, once to an american audience.

Those were tough gigs 🙂

maccruiskeen

He’s had Reginald D Hunter, John Bishop, Sarah Millican, Chris Ramsey, Jason Cook, and the like at his before they got big.

*tries to picture Sarah Millican before she got big*

juanking

Went to a cousin of a mates a long time ago and he was pretty radge, he’s a lot better now, Rhod Gilbert.

molgrips
    Free Member

done a best man’s speech twice, once to an american audience.

Those were tough gigs

I did a best man’s speech, it was the easiest speaking I’ve ever done. They were all pissed up, happy, loved the couple and I’d made a good impression. I had a few obvious safe jokes in and everyone laughed like hell.

sharkattack

Lots of friends of friends of friends stuff here. I was hoping for some real life meaty horror stories to be honest 😉

theotherjonv

I was at a works do one time where everyone there was expected to perform some sort of entertainment – some sang a song, one recited a poem (a Robbie burns one, fwiw) and I thought I’d attempt some ‘stand up’ as my part. I only told one joke before I was booed off, but it may have been that the joke was considered vaguely unsavoury as opposed to my skill in telling it. In hindsight, probably best given the quality of the ones I had lined up after it.

Cougar

I did a best man’s speech, it was the easiest speaking I’ve ever done. They were all pissed up, happy, loved the couple and I’d made a good impression. I had a few obvious safe jokes in and everyone laughed like hell.

It really is Easy Mode, you’ll never have a more sympathetic audience. Last one I did, I got a World of Warcraft joke in and got away with it.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Michael McIntyre attempts it all the time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever attempted stand up comedy?’ is closed to new replies.