Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Has anyone done the rp23 mod??
  • renton
    Free Member

Been over on the MTBR site reading up n the mod people have been doing on the rp23 shocks fitted to thier 5 spot to stop it blowing through the travel.

Has anyone on here done it and if so was it easy enough to do and did you get good results.

The issues I have is that I am blowing through the travel on my 5 spot just going off a high kerb even with the sag running less than recommended?

Apparently this mod takes up a bit of the space in the high volume bit of the rp23 and adds a little ramp up to the end stroke of the shock?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Although I don’t ride a 5 spot, I’ve done the same mod on my DHX air using some detergent bottle for the shim (bit thicker than plastic milk carton) and can sing it’s praises~ the shock remains supple for the small stuff, yet provides good support and ramps up nicely~ given the problems you’re having, I’d heartily recommend it.

renton
    Free Member

cool thanks for the answer!!

Any tips for when I do it ?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Did this too my Fox RP on my old 5 spot i had,made a massive differenc had to play around with how much plastic bottle i used to shim it with.

Just try it,Nothing to lose.

b45her
    Free Member

or you could just buy the kit and do the job properly.

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Spring_Volume_Tuning_Kit.html

renton
    Free Member

yes but why pay £25 when a piece of plastic strip will do the same job for about 20 pence

superfli
    Free Member

Yes I have done it to my RP23 on Heckler. After only a couple of weeks of riding the standard RP23 that although it was nice and plush travel, it was getting through it far too easily whilst on correct sag and relatively tame trail riding.
    Cut a CD spindle case up and made a shim. Very easy to fit, although I had taken the shock off, you dont need to. Sorted the shock out brilliantly. Ramps up nicely now and only bottoms out when expected to. Still reacts very well to smaller bumps.

Highly recommended 8)

crofts2007
    Free Member

crofts2007
    Free Member

Tried it on my 2009 spot with the pushed RP23 fitted, helped in not blowing through the travel, but ended up fitting a Van RC with a Ti coil, as I prefer coil to air. Matches the coil Sectors on the front.
    Shock has been transferred to my 2011 spot and still rides well!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Another one here. I’ve done this to the RP23 on my 5 Spot with a piece of CD spindle case and it makes a huge difference. You can run a little less pressure and let it sit slightly lower in the travel without it bottoming except on really big hits. Easy to do as well.

renton
    Free Member

JUst done this mod and been playing around on the bike at work now.

does exactly what its meant to do and has changed the shock quite a bit for the better.

Its now got a nice ramp up towards the end and Im also running less air pressure than before.

well worth doing in my opinion !!

cheers

Steve

supertacky
    Free Member

Anyone measured the thickness of their home made shims?

Gary_C

Yep. Done it on my ’10 Spot after reading the thread on mtbr.

schnor
    Free Member

+1 on a bit of a CD case thing. Works a treat and doesn’t take long, use it on my pitch to stop it bottoming out.

[edit]

OT – I used this last week on my shock / fork seals (instead of float fluid) and its top stuff, really smooth. Super soft hands for a while too TBH 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

AFAIR, you shouldn’t need to do this to 2011 turners onwards because the air cans are sized appropriately. I read that somewhere on mtbr when I was researching this very thing.

renton
    Free Member

Mines a 2010 mate!

crofts2007
    Free Member

Mine is a 2011 (out of) warranty (but excellent CS from Turner) replacement, came with no shock.

mactheknife

Keep us updated Renton on how you get on. Ta

chvck
    Free Member

What sort of dimensions for the cut out piece are people who use the CD spindle using?

renton
    Free Member

will do !

Im off for my first proper ride in about a year tomorrow so getting pretty excited !!

carlphillips
    Free Member

@neiloxford… 😆

nickkent
    Free Member

I did this on my Cotic Rocket. Vast improvement now, I don’t know why it had the high volume can on in the first place.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Will it work on my 2010 Enduro with RP23?

mactheknife

WTF Renton, best bike you could ever own (IMO) and you are flogging it??

renton
    Free Member

Ha Ha actually I was selling it as I got offered a very good deal on a 2012 5 spot which has the bigger head tube so if i ever wanted to change the forks I wouldnt be limited to 1 1/8th forks !!

I wasnt arsed if this one sold or not though to be honest as Ive got it dialled now to how I want it and someone else has managed to come up with the cash before me so this one is here to stay !

@mactheknife… you are right it is the best bike I could ever own !!

cheers to neiloxford…….. 🙄

renton
    Free Member

oh and the rp23 mod works a treat !! 😆

granny_ring

Sounds like something I should try.
    Any more info on size and thickness of the shim and where it goes please or maybe even a link to show how to do it. Ta.

righog
    Free Member

??? Has anybody got a pic of a ghetto shim ???. I have been looking today and it looks like the original mod from MTBR was a strip of thin plastic bent to fit inside the can, whereas the fox one is the full ID of the of the can.

kendo954
    Free Member

have you a link on how to do the mod?

righog
    Free Member

This is the one I found on MTBR…I looked for a pic of a homemade shim but with no luck so far ( I guess they are all inside air cans ATM)

rp23 shim

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

As always, slap a volume reducer in that puppy! Or change to the LV can!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isn’t that whats been suggested?

righog
    Free Member

A nice write up of the mod here ( using a thin plastic strip, rather than a full ID )

RP23 Mod linky

drew

I cut up an old drinks bottle to make the shim. I’m about 12.5 stone in full riding kit and the dimensions suggested by the OP in the mtbr link worked a treat.

daver27
    Free Member

important to note you can only do this mod on the XV sized cans, the smaller can models would require the proper fox reducing kit.

i did it on an RFX i had, made an awesome difference, but swapped the whole can out for an LV one. which was even better.

about to do the same to my new bike (the shim mod) as i have to run it “Just” too firm to stop bottoming.

if memory serves, the shim i made was around 22mm wide, altering the width adjusts the volume reduction, but you need to make sure you don’t cover the holes in the inner can.

can’t recommend doing it enough

svalgis
    Free Member

Being a flyweight fellow (~135 lbs) that experiences no issues with bottoming out with ~25% sag, would I still benefit from this mod in some way?

daver27
    Free Member

Svalgis,

In theory yes, you could run a lower shock pressure to get the suspension more active/plusher without it bottoming out.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone done the rp23 mod??’ is closed to new replies.