Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Has anyone built their own bike storage/workshop area?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

We’ve just moved into a place with a lot of back garden, and I’m considering building somewhere to store my bikes and maybe a place to work on them, etc, so that I can keep the garage clear for other things.

I’ve never built anything like this though, not even a shed, and was wondering if anyone here has done anything similar?

Just after ideas and inspiration really…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I got a summerhouse / log cabin, 10′ x 12′ from B&Q last year which is used for the bikes / storage / workshop. Is F’ing marvellous. After years of making do, stooping and banging my head, I’ve got a proper area where I can work on bikes / whatever without getting in anyone else’s way.

dovebiker

Yup, mines a 10’x12′ summerhouse that I modified – insulated the roof, used a waterproof roofing board and cedar shingles. Mine’s made from 40mm thick solid walls, not the balsa-wood jobs downs B&Q – came in kit-form on a truck and took 2 days to build and still going strong 10 years later. Fitted it out with a workbench, storage and electrics. Plenty of roof-overhang means I can use it with the bike trainer in winter with the doors wide-open

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds similar to mine tbh, certainly not balsa wood, 28m IIRC. Took me about 3 days working on my own to build it up and felt the roof. Planning on fitting electric to it this year when I get around to it!
    Was made by Shire Garden buildings. They sent a bloke with a van all the way from East Anglia to the IOW to deliver it.

squealer
    Free Member

I’m in the middle of building a garden building myself, as with you I’d never done anything like this before.

It’s surprisingly easy to do. A bit of common sense and the right tools and I created it entirely from scratch. I started a thread here a couple of days ago which I’ll update later.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mine was a flat pack kit.
    Just take your time, work methodically and its fine. Incredibly satisfying when its finished.
    Digging out a 10′ x 12′ base, filling it with hard core and then concreting it nearly killed me though!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone built their own bike storage/workshop area?’ is closed to new replies.