Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Has anyone bought a bike from the USA? Check these prices out!
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Whilst working hard in the office today I had a look at prices on jenson USA and other random shops. Cant believe how much cheaper sale bikes are!!

Trek Fuel – £1300 on offer
    Trek Remedy 8 – £1500 on offer
    Yeti 575 Enduro – £1700 (£3000 here)

Next time im buying a bike i will be seriously considering including a holiday to the USA!! has anyone done this?

tomhoward

Don’t forget to add sales tax, plus vat when you bring it back (and are honest..) then there’s having to send it back to the US for warranty work.

somouk
    Free Member

If you have a look in New Hampshire there is no sales tax… I was tempted to ship one back when I was working out there and might still do that over the summer when I’m back out there 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

As on the jay scam from the other day it’s 13% Import then 20% Vat + and fees added by the courier

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Go on hols to Canada/USA buy a very good strong DH bike box take a crap 45quid special bike with you
    Buy your dream bike abroad then give the 45 one away..Bobs your uncle costs more to ship etcbut if your building a decent bike or off on hols too….
    DO IT..few of my pals did … 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When the dollar took a really bad dive a few years back I was looking at hecklers and the deals meant you could have a weekend in New York for the UK/US price difference with some of the specials about

BruceWee

Back in 2007 when the exchange rate was $2 to the pound I picked up a Santa Cruz Nomad and bike suitcase thing for $3600. I think the nomad was around £4000 in the UK at the time. Didn’t even have to pay excess baggage 🙂

andycs

Years ago my dad brought me a frame back from the US. He got a receipt from the shop saying it was used and didn’t pay any tax when entering UK. Not sure if this still works, but worth looking into.

matt_outandabout

Why not book a weeks hol, by bike, ride it for a week, ship home?

atlaz
    Free Member

Haven’t we done this one to death. Before too long it will dissolve into an argument over the ethics of dodging the import taxes and VAT. Maybe lock now?

avdave2

it will dissolve into an argument over the ethics of dodging the import taxes and VAT

I find the question of the ethics of selling bikes more cheaply in the US a more interesting topic for debate. And also the price fixing that we accept in the UK which is very similar to what we experienced in the car industry, the book industry and with opticians supplying glasses for many years

BruceWee

Haven’t we done this one to death. Before too long it will dissolve into an argument over the ethics of dodging the import taxes and VAT. Maybe lock now?

But if we didn’t argue about the same things over and over again what would we talk about?

IA

You still pay tax on importing used goods.

variflex
    Free Member

A friend of mine, picked up a cheap second hand £50 bike here, and took it on holiday to the US in a bike case. Whilst there bought a new one (nice Yeti 575), skipped the £50 quid bike and brought the new one back in the same case. No import tax or VAT as technically he took the bike out there and brought it back again 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

T’is how I bought my Parlee, except I didn’t go over there, my mate did and brought two back, one for him, one for me.
    Had it built to order, sized up, sent details over, mate collected it and paid for it there and then, brought them both back in two boxes.

Can’t see any problem TBH.

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t see any problem TBH

You mean other than the fact that strictly speaking it’s illegal.

AlexSimon

I thought we’d found out from a customs guy that the ‘taking a bike out with you’ thing was a complete waste of time as they never check inbound against outbound?

theflatboy
    Free Member

it does sound like a waste of time taking one out with you, surely you just either get away with bringing one back or you don’t – once they clock you’ve brought a fancy bike/frame back from the states with you are they really going to believe you took it with you both ways? 😕

variflex
    Free Member

but if you can prove you took it out (eg paperwork) you can argue bringing it back in is not subject to import tax. HMRC couldnt argue with that logic if you have the paperwork (eg oversized baggage ticket)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Mrs Gasket bought her current mtb from the states last time she went there on hols. Just rode it a couple of times to get it dirty, put it back in the box and brought it home. No problems. No duty was asked or paid.
    She didn’t take a bike out with her. Just bought it there and brought it home.

theflatboy
    Free Member

variflex – Member

but if you can prove you took it out (eg paperwork) you can argue bringing it back in is not subject to import tax. HMRC couldnt argue with that logic if you have the paperwork (eg oversized baggage ticket)

but surely the actual proof of taking it with you would be receipt from purchasing it in the first place which you obviously wouldn’t be able to supply? have people actually succeeded in convincing them otherwise, in the way you’re suggesting? genuine question…

dantsw13

If you get away with it, you get away with it. If you get stopped by customs, they can do what the hell they like. They have the power to enter your house without a warrant.

It all depends how much a criminal record would ruin your day, against saving a few bucks.

cb

Get a receipt from a ‘mate’ that shows it was bought 2nd hand here in the UK. Job done.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you are buying abroad from an unscrupulous seller they can write down a considerably lower value on the item being sent thereby reducing taxes considerably. However, most shops and people won’t do this in ther states but in China and Taiwan it is standard practice :mrgreen:

smell_it
    Free Member

I spent a month in the states, picked up my parlee, rode it for 3 weeks brought it home, no tax no worries. I plan to do similar this summer to bring back a new one to attach my di2 to 👿 be interesting to see what airport scanners make of a suitcase full of electronic transmission and a saddle. I may pre-lube myself and just try and enjoy the attention.

Don’t mention lbs pricing on here, there are some sensitive flowers.

Speshpaul

“It all depends how much a criminal record would ruin your day, against saving a few bucks.”

Have we got to this so early in the thread? Criminal record ? if you get stopped buy customs you pay the tax or hand the goods over. You don’t pay the tax then get sent to jail.

probably the least risky why of doing this is to book a holiday somewhere you can ride, arrange to buy a bike whilst you are there, have a holiday ride your bike, come home.If you don’t get stopped at customs then happy days. If you do well you’ve still got a new bike and you’ve had a nice holiday.

Going to NY for a 2 day biking holiday might look a little suspect. Best make sure you’re wearing shorts and have taken a file to your knees before walking through customs:-) That 5th avenue its RAD man!

Macgyver

When our tandem was shipped over i got a call from the customs people wanting to know if it was a personal import or for the company (it was being delivered to the office).
    I told a slight porkie and said it belonged to a friend and we were having it shipped ahead of their expected trips to the UK so the bike would be ready for them to use. We could back that bit up if probed as a friend was going to be doing a lot of US/London flights with overnight stays the following couple of months.
    Apparently the customs form didn’t have a box for that so it got through without charge.

Moral to this? you might get away with it of your excuse doesn’t fit into any of the tick boxes on the customs form!

FuzzyWuzzy

Nice advert :p interesting idea though – I take it he’s actually going to get a proper website up and running though rather than facebook shite?

cheers_drive

I may be going to Sacramento with work soon and was thinking about getting a bike or frame and forks whilst over there. So the prices listed are without sales tax? How do you know what that is?

The savings on parts don’t appear to be much or any better than the German sites.

AlexSimon

From looking previously, Santa Cruz seem to be particularly cheap in the US compared to the UK.

cheers_drive – California has a sales tax of 8.25%.
    It doesn’t apply if you buy from out-of-state mail order though.

So if you shipped an item from New York to Scramento, there would be no sales tax to pay.

avdave2

I plan to do similar this summer to bring back a new one to attach my di2 to be interesting to see what airport scanners make of a suitcase full of electronic transmission and a saddle.

You want to try taking a homemade radio cue light through Tel Aviv as Yasser Arafat prepares to announce the Second Intifada!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I used to buy loads of car/engine parts from dealers in the US as they were vastly cheaper for Honda aftermarket & tuning parts.

never paid import duty or vat once 😀

Also he after service is awesome, I had a problem dialing in some cams, phoned the shop I got them from, they gave me their engine builders home number as he was off and told em to call him.

20 minutes later and the nicest guy I’ve spoken to on the phone the issue was sorted 8)

kendo954
    Free Member

few guys i know, took scrap bikes out, bought new ones, rode them for a week and brought them back.

no questions/hassle at all

cheers_drive

AlexSimon – Member
    From looking previously, Santa Cruz seem to be particularly cheap in the US compared to the UK.

cheers_drive – California has a sales tax of 8.25%.
    It doesn’t apply if you buy from out-of-state mail order though.

So if you shipped an item from New York to Scramento, there would be no sales tax to pay

It’s a Tallboy I’m looking at, the price the the website is less is $ than it is here in £! I assume that if I had to stump up for & VAT and Duty I could claim the sales tax back and still be quids in?
    EDIT: I see it’s not that simple to claim back and shipping across state borders is the only choice.

dantsw13

Speshpaul – failure to declare items to customs, or lying is a criminal offence, which carries a possible jail sentance. Customs have more powers than the police, and don’t like being lied to. My job requires an airport pass and security check. If I was found in flagrant breach of customs regs I would be unable to maintain my airside pass, and lose my job.

If people want to risk it, go ahead. Chances are you will get away with it. But for me, and many others it simply isn’t worth it.

With reference to US state sales tax, buying mail order in the states, you still pay state sales tax in the state where you are posting to, so not an easy steal there either.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

then there’s having to send it back to the US for warranty work.

I bought my SC Blur C in the US – SC UK have done warranty work without any Q’s at all.

You mean other than the fact that strictly speaking it’s illegal.

Not if you pay the tax.

Whilst working hard in the office today I had a look at prices on jenson USA and other random shops. Cant believe how much cheaper sale bikes are!!

Definitely deals to be had. I bought a Santa Cruz Nomad C on sale from Competitive Cyclist & saved about £500 including paying ALL the taxes..

Junkyard
    Free Member

The DUDE got morals

campfreddie
    Free Member

i found that when i flew out to columbia and went treking in the jungle, i got some wicked deal on a couple of k’s of cocaine… when i brought them back through customs i told them that it was for personal consumption and that i had actually brought them out with me to begin with.

they just asked for a quick line and then sent me on my way… my moral compass was barely tickled.

zippykona

Can’t the customs men check frame numbers to see where they come from?
    Or is this HMRC induced paranoia?
    They do seem to know a lot. Used to follow Fields Of The Nephilim around Europe. Coming through customs I was stopped and asked how the tour went.
    I looked quite normal as well.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d like to go on holiday with freddie 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone bought a bike from the USA? Check these prices out!’ is closed to new replies.