Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Has anyone been to Bangalore? Looking for advice/help…
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Well, I was successful in getting a new job and it involves me heading out to Bangalore, India to work.

I'm flying out this Tuesday! I know pretty much nothing about the place. I'll be working in Domlur and hope to be staying near by. Initially I'll be in a hotel near Cubbon Park.

A little nervous at the moment…..

Any pointers would be very very much appreciated.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

anyone?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

If its anything like our place you'll be chauffeur driven from office to hotel, if you do venture out then the drivers will probably take you anywhere you want for next to nowt. Don't give beggars any money or you'll be sorry!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Jabs and always double up on the 'protection', with a smear of tabasco sauce in-between.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

got my jabs.

How hot does it get? And what happens if you do give beggars money?…

tron
    Free Member

Too hot. The upside is, if you go out on the booze and puke all over your hotel room, the hotel staff often assume they've given you food poisoning, rather than that you can't take your ale.

jahwomble
    Free Member

It gets very hot indeed, We only spent about two days there but I bought some really nice trainers in Bangalore,if you give beggars money, they mither you for more, it's not the end of the world.

Cars are boring, tuk tuks are dirt cheap if you make a deal to go off the meter and just agree a price.

India Is generally brilliant, my wife and I worked out there for a few years, it delights and disgusts in equal measure from one minute to the next though. Everything involving any kind of bureacracy can be a bit long winded though.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I've been told to only drink bottled water – never from a tap.

Is there anything else I should look out for?

TheSponsor
    Free Member

Not much practical help I can offer ,but can offer my experience.

Was there working in Feb 2009 and it was very hot then.

Didn't get out much beyond the hotel and office environs because we were driven everywhere, but that allowed us to see fair bit of the city.

It was much greener than I expected and some fantastic architecture.
    Traffic is crazy, but saw no "road rage".

The disparity between massive wealth and abject poverty right next to each other was a shock.

Armed guards and barriers at the hotel took some getting used to and there was massive security at the airport.

The people we worked with were really friendly, willing and hard working, but from my experience the office culture was such that no-one would admit to not understanding something.

Didn't need the mosquito repellent I was issued with. Stayed in a 5* hotel and it provided at least 2 litre bottles of water in your room every day. Food in the hotel was good – all cuisines catered for. My work has people out there all the time and that seems to be the norm in all the 4*+ our people have stayed in.

As I said didn't get to see as much of the city as I wanted, but definitely enough to make me want to go back to do so.

Good luck.

Rio

Have worked out there a couple of times, but always staying in hotels – usually near the old airport. Traffic is dreadful – expect it to take a long time to get anywhere – if you've got a driver they'll know that and allow for it. Don't be surprised if your driver takes you down some unexpected short cuts to avoid the traffic – unsurfaced roads, through slums etc. It's a good way of seeing the place… Now that they've put all the tuk-tuks on propane the atmosphere's breathable – the whole place used to have a blue-ish smog of badly maintained 2-stroke exhausts.

The difference between the wealthy and the poor takes some getting used to – if you think UK's unequal you've seen nothing.

Food is great if you like a curry. NASA bar in MG road is a bizarre experience (if it's still there). I think it's still monsoon out there – prepare for serious random downpours but at least afterwards the streets are nice and clean. The rest of the time it gets pretty hot. But generally an interesting place to be – enjoy!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks, I'm quite looking forward to it. I'm working so will be pretty busy but I still think it'll be pretty interesting.

For the first trip on Tuesday I'm staying in a hotel near Cubbon Park. I'll be working over at the Embassy golf links business park.

Is it easy to get hold of cash? When I get off the plane can I simply find a cash machine and withdraw rupees?

The hotel provide breakfast and dinner, but what will I do for lunch? Can anyone reccomend anything?

It's all the small things that keep popping into my head… I've not travelled anywhere really as you can probably tell – hence the questions.

.. and another, I'm told most speak English due to the fact that there are so many languages and dialects. Is this the case?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon…. lol

corroded
    Free Member

You've not travelled much and you're off to India? Baptism of fire, I'd say! I've only passed through Bangalore (on the way to Hampi, which is worth the trip if you get time) but some things are universal in India:

– English will be spoken widely
    – be aware of the latest scams, the elephant dung on shoe was used on me many years ago but there's bound to be something more cutting edge in Bangalore (the Lonely Planet Thorntree forum will have latest tip-offs)
    – don't be scared of the local food but be vigilant – I've escaped stomach upsets by being paranoid about unwashed fruit and vegetables (or washed in dodgy water), though it's probably something else entirely that's kept me from delhi-belly. I'm sure there are tons of Western fast food places in Bangalore but you can't beat a good thali and lassi
    – there are plenty of places to change money (at the airport, the hotel etc – I've never used a cashpoint in India, though I last visited five or six years ago so I'm probably a bit out of date by now)
    – try to be open-minded and patient – India can be hugely frustrating and even irritating but getting wound-up doesn't do anybody any good
    – have fun!

ozzo
    Free Member

always eat the veggie food like the locals.

ride in a tut tut but make sure the asshols put the meter on otherwise just get out.

the polution is terrible with all the traffic

higgo
    Free Member

My experience seems very close to 'TheSponsor's. I was there with work on a trip that also included Mumbai, Pune and Chennai. We ended up in Bangalore for the weekend but were looked after either by our hosts or the drivers for the company I work for. It was a fascinating, mad place particularly the wealth, absolute poverty and proximity of the two. I would go back in a second, particularly as it was five years ago and I'd love to see how the place has changed. A colleague of mine hated every minute and couldn't wait to get home.

higgo
    Free Member

p.s. I cleaned my teeth in the hotel tap water, ate buffet salads, ate on the internal flights, ate (hot) street food and didn't have any botty problems.

TheSponsor
    Free Member

When I get off the plane can I simply find a cash machine and withdraw rupees?

There was a booth in arrivals where I bought money with my credit card. I arrived at 4am local time so I reckon it'd be manned for all arrivals.

If you're working for a company in a business park you may find they have a canteen. Ours was on the top of very high towers and open on all sides – fantastic views. It was open 24 hours as the company dealt with pretty much all time zones so you may find the same set-up.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Excellent information, huge thanks.

I'm interested to know what the elephant dung on the shoe scam was?…

turboferret

Can't really speak much for Bangalore, only been there briefly, but if you want an idea of what the traffic is like, a couple of vids from Hyderabad below 🙂

The Ride Home

Bullet to Work

I've got a spare bike here, and there's a good cycling club, so if you fancy a hop up to Hyderabad one weekend, let me know!

You might find my Bullet quite entertaining/terrifying too 😮

Cheers, Rich

konabunny
    Free Member

I'm interested to know what the elephant dung on the shoe scam was?…

"hey, mate, you've got elephant poo on your shoe, eww!", as geezer's mate helps himself to your wallet while you/he wipe it off. Can also be (more prosaically) ice cream/whatever else is lying around. Common tourist scam (not just in India).

Zedsdead
    Free Member

well, I just landed and have arrived in my hotel.

The drive here was interesting….. haha! It's mental but it works!

I've been up for over 20 hours so I'm off to bed, I shall let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the offer TF – but after experiencing the driving I think I'll leave it lol.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Zedsdead – Would appreciate yours thoughts on the place, living in India etc. I have the opportunity to work in Pune for 3 years, and currently trying to decide whether its a yes or no.

Let me know how you get on! 😀

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Only been here a few hours but already I would say most definitely yes.

For me I had no idea what to expect and I'm not a well travelled person so it's all quite daunting. However, I'm open minded and I couldn't pass up the opportunity of a life time. I knew that if I didn't do it I would only look back and wonder what if?….

Who knows what's around the corner? What type of work is it that you would be doing?

oopnorth
    Free Member

Work would be running a large global design studio.

I am out there in september to see what its like, accomodation etc….then its decision time!!

Keep us updated on your progress / thoughts!!! Enjoy!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I'm an engineer. I'm out to set up a new office here. Another thing I thought about was "would I rather spend a winter in Scotland in the pishing rain and freezing cold or in India?" lol

I'd say do it. It's a massively interesting place with tonnes of history.

Plus I can now confirm the food is mucking fagic! lol

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Do it! Definitely do it!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i'll never forget my mate and his new wife went to india on their honeymoon, they went on a safari type 3 day break, they were coming back to the hotel in a old bus, the bus broke down in the middle of the street, they were sat there waiting for it to be fixed and his wife said (in a shocked voice)

"is that bloke down there doing what i think he's doing"

my mate looked out of the window and this bloke was 'knocking one off' staring at his wife!!

still makes me laugh….

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Ha ha! Yes it quite mental! The drive from the airport to here is about an hour and it's crazy but it somehow works!!!

Going down the road you see building works in amongst housing in amongst squalor in amongst shops in amongst cows in amongst someone taking a crap in amongst a million other things – it really is mental! haha!

But it's amazing! The people are what makes it so special, they're very friendly and will talk to you for hours. They are genuinely interested in what you have to say. And they are brilliant for all the local information.

I'm so glad I did it, it really is the chance of a lifetime.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, we have done some travelling in the north of India, a month on our honeymoon. So we are kind of prepared for what its like! 😀

Keep us up to date on developments!!

higgo
    Free Member

still alive?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone been to Bangalore? Looking for advice/help…’ is closed to new replies.