Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Has anyone been to Afan in the last week or two? trail conditions etc,,
  • domjohn123
    Free Member

Hi everyone

Hopefully heading out to Afan next friday to a days riding. Just wondering if anyone has been there in the last couple of weeks, what the trail conditions are like and also as i havent been there before, what trails are like? and which one would you go and ride? One of the friends that i am going with has been there before so will talk to him as well. 😉

Thanks
    Dom

coatesy
    Free Member

was at the wall last wed, and the conditions were very good. Looking at the rain hammering down now, but shouldn't make too much difference as only a small amount turns to gloop.
    Post-ride food-wise, glyncorrwg's the place to go(few miles further on from Afan), but don't leave your bikes unattended, take them up on the balcony with you.
    Ride wise, Penhydd-short, but good for a flat out blast once you've got past the fire road climb at the start, can get extra loops by avoiding the left turn as you go past the sign for Nant Herbert ruins.
    Wall- bigger and a bit more technical,slightly spoiled by the length of cycle track to get to the good stuff(didn't mention the short cut down to the river, straight ahead as you go under the road bridge).
    Whytes-lots of climbing in one hit, bit short even including Energy, but definitely worth doing.
    July- my favourite, splits from Whytes at the top of the climb, lots more singletrack to make up the extra miles, and a seemingly endless descent to finish off.
    Skyline-Splits fom July and adds another loop(or more)of fire road climb and singletrack,very good ride but you will need to be fit to enjoy it.

tinsy
    Free Member

Trails are allways excellent, no matter the weather, definately no need for mud tyres.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sheldona
    Free Member

Rode W2 on Sat, trails starting to show sign of wear so lots of rocky bits stuck up for tyres to bounce off. This isn't an issue for me just an observation!

domjohn123
    Free Member

sounds wkd, been lookin at someof the helmet cam videos and all the trails look really good and flowy :-), do you think the continental verticals will siut the trails there?

DrDolittle
    Free Member

You will enjoy yourself. IMHO as most of the singletrack is pretty grippy slate/sandstone? traction isn't something to worry too much about. And there is next to no mud. Conti V's would be fine, don't run it below 30psi on the front if pinch flats concern you. A downtube crud guard is a good idea as there will be plenty of standing water, and bring some spare breakpads just incase as the gritty slosh that gets everywhere will finish off worn pads pretty sharpish.

I'd also suggest waterproof shorts and sealskins if you have them.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

OMG! This really has turned into a "What tyres for Afan?"-type thread.. 😯

I was gonna post a tongue in cheek rediculous 'question' of that ilk for a laugh, but I've no need to now!

I thought the "What tyres for Afan?" thing really was some sort of daft urban MTB myth, but it seems to be a question that really does plague some people. 😯

From my last sojourn around Afan – isn't it all pretty well draining cindery, gravelly stuff with a few rocks here and there, that could be conceivably ridden with any tyre, save (maybe) for slicks?

Hmmmm… 😉

Great trail, by the way..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone been to Afan in the last week or two? trail conditions etc,,’ is closed to new replies.