Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Has anyone been that inconvenienced by this?
  • Badger
    Free Member

STW seems to be getting a bit of a bashing on BM.

Now whilst I know its a serrious problem for the guys at STW towers – the general opinion in the soapbox area is that somehow STW have caused a massive ID theft nightmare and inconvenience to the 30K STW users (on the old STW site).

But well… really?

I mean its one password and your email address – what can they really do? I don’t remember the sign up form (I signed up when it was Gofar.com) but I suspect address, mothers maiden name, the 107digit passkey to your underground vault of treasure were all oddly missing from the form.

So in the hope of spreading some objectivity here …. has anyone actually suffered in any measurable way by this hack?
    (I’m not including STW staff here, who’ve lost advertising revenue, customer good will and a hell of a lot of lost sleep)

Badger

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Yes, since my identity was stolen I’ve been suffering from an identity crises.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

I’ve had a large increase in spam since, no idea if it’s related to the site hacking though?

Ambrose

Nope

z1ppy

bugger all here, only inconvience was the site being down and having to use BM & BR – good god those places are so dead.

BM boast 100K users (apparently), well where the **** are they?
    They ain’t posting thats for sure.

Merlinman

I suspect the 100k comes from the combined users of all the Magicalia forums?

Mark

BM had a very early campaign back when they launched where they went farming for email addresses at bike events. You got free stuff in exchange for your email address. I believe they netted tens of thousands of email addresses that way which they converted into user accounts. I imagine a small fraction of those accounts are actually ever used. Although it does provide a huge database that can be used to send out newsletters containing ads and marketing info, which is not something we’ve ever really been too hot on here at STW.

Stumpi
    Free Member

A little inconvenient, but hey ho.

Very glad it’s back, I hope the boys have weathered the storm well, and lets all look to the future.

As for BM, well…….

G
    Free Member

No issue whatsoever, but can I still be on the team to go round to evilzones house and stamp on people faces? no special reason except I don’t like geeks who are that gutless that they can’t do their badness face to face, preferring to hide in cyber geek space

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I been getting a stoopid amount of phishing spam from ebay, halifax, abbey, alliance and Leicester since the hack. connected? I don’t know, but play safe out there kids

coolfurcats
    Free Member

EH… Hello?? TESTING, TESTING… 123… Yup seems to work.:D No probs then. I hope every one had a Happy New One and congrats to chipps and Co for geting everything sorted for us.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m getting a few more spam emails but that’s why I have a hotmail account for this kind of stuff and don’t use a work one etc or one I use for all my purchases etc. Just need to deidcate them to junk and then they all go over there.

Can’t say I’m bothered though, could be worse but glad got STW back

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I had nothing to do all Christmas. Great inconvenience so had to go for a ride.

Now injured and thinking of suing STW

😉

tankslapper
    Free Member

Dearest one

I am currently supporting a small African spam producing nation – Its a great feeling knowing your helping a dead presidents son, a former army colonel and finance ministers who are living in exile but want you to look after $1.5million US Dolla mista.

Causing me problems? No! I’m gonna be rich I tells ya RICH!

Peregrine
    Free Member

Only inconvenience caused has been the lack of a decent bike forum.

No increase in spam – if anything i get less recently.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

hello all iam back in mk2 form (ha ha) not had any probs yet apart from using br got its sh*t on there please promise you won’t go for so long again please!!

scraprider
    Free Member

not really . i (like most) have more than 1 email account , 1 for stuff , and one for family type stuff , stuff one just gets deleted every 24 hours ,as i remove any pass words etc, well done on getting the site up again, i get more sh*t from try before you buy music download sites to honest 😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Someone tried to hack into my PayPal account recently, don’t know if thats connected or not.

project
    Free Member

There have been a few offering support on Bikemagic, buy a mag etc, but they got shot down.

takisawa2

No inconvenience as of yet, but I registered on STW with my works email address so will probably have some spam to keep me amused in the morning.

I did register & post a “Hello” on BikeMagic…
    …& quickly got some abuse by the biggest bunch of cock-sucking knob-jockeys I’ve ever come across on a bike forum. So I canceled my account ASAP.
    My god what a shite-hole. Totally bereft of any form of intelligent life, & seemingly run by a few die-hard tossers waffling on about them having 100k members vs STW’s 31k.

julianwilson
    Free Member

BM boast 100K users (apparently), well where the **** are they?
    They ain’t posting thats for sure.

yeah, i have an account and i haven’t posted on there for years. Or looked on there for at least a year, come to think of it. IIRC i registered cos of the monthly competition thingy. Actually i rarely if ever get any mail from either BM or STW.

epicyclo

No problem so far. Changed my user name and passwords here and elsewhere though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve lost millions on the stock market, my house has halved in value and my wife has run away with a sailor all because some hacker got hold of an e-mail addy I registered with but never use and some random password I can’t remember. I guess I got off lightly.

project
    Free Member

…& quickly got some abuse by the biggest bunch of cock-sucking knob-jockeys I’ve ever come across on a bike forum. So I canceled my account ASAP.
    My god what a shite-hole. Totally bereft of any form of intelligent life, & seemingly run by a few die-hard tossers waffling on about them having 100k members vs STW’s 31k.

so name names, some are quite funny and some youd definately push out of bed on a cold night, they do seem to have an alternative look on the world though.

weeble
    Free Member

No problems here.

druidh
    Free Member

No noticeable increase in spam (mibbe Virgin Media are stopping it all?). No other issues to date.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

that would have been me takisawa2. oh happy days 😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve had no inconvenience but what’s Bikemagic?

grahamh
    Free Member

I was away most of the time and had no internet access.
    The only inconvenience was having to register again.

hilldodger
    Free Member

no security/spam issues here, I kept the ‘random’ password I was given when opening account and have a stw-specific Gmail though….

project
    Free Member

Bike magic is a popular website for mountain bikers, with lots of informative information and tests, they also seem quite freindly on the times ive looked in.

tops5
    Free Member

On that subject, my uncle Sid was a victim of ID theft………………………we now call him ” :lol:S”

tops5
    Free Member

Bugger – ruined the punchline!

allyharp

I totally forgot Bikemagic existed! Would have been handy when this board was down. Must check it out soon.

charlieboyuk2
    Free Member

Yeah, Bike Magic was always worth a look. There is http://www.cyclesocial.co.uk too – early days for them but really nice site, like facebook for cyclists.

Thing is is with ID theft, many people use the same password across many uses…this in conjunction with an email address is what opens up the way to abuse that you don’t realise is happening for a long while… I saw it happen at a company I work for.

Nico
    Free Member

I’ve been using Shecylces while this site was down.

No increase in Spam but my dog now has neatly trimmed claws and I am “dating” a Christian.

marty
    Free Member

still no increase in spam here (gmail seems pretty good at catching it), little inconvenience. think i changed one password.

if you’re using one username/password for everything (including sensitive stuff) you deserve a kick in the baws…

most of the content was look at my bike and what bike should i get with a few help me buy stuff for my bike threads.

An inconvenience that is has gone? NOPE 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

No problems for me.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone been that inconvenienced by this?’ is closed to new replies.