• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Has anybody put a 150mm Pike on a 26" Five?
  • roverpig

If so, what did you think?

I think the 26″ Five was designed around a 140mm a Fox Float and I think the A-C of the Pike would be a fair bit longer. So, less stable, right?

chiefgrooveguru

What does ‘stable’ mean? Slacker head angle = more stable at speed but higher BB = less stable?

The Five AM used to come with a 160mm 36 which is much longer than a 150mm Pike.

Lummox

If you’re talking about a 26″ frame I’m running 160 lyrics currently but ran 150 revs which I feel were the best match to the bike

Suggsey
    Free Member

My Five AM is fitted with Fox36s. It’s a bit of a challenge climbing really steep technical climbs as its a tad light on the front end but to be honest I specd it and brought it as an Alps/Uplift/big days in the mountains bike. So in short depends how where you’re going to ride it as to how you will get on with it fitted with the longer forks. In my opinion it would probably be fine for everything in the UK and Alps trips as long as you’re not into triple crown fork hucking!

creamegg
    Free Member

Yes and then after 2 weeks i went 160mm. Slight compromise on the climbs but awesome on the descents. This is with both shock bushings being offset

Northwind

You can change the length of the Pike pretty easily so the worst case scenario is, you don’t like it and you either machine down or replace the air shaft to switch it to 140mm.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Running Fox 36s on mine (26″) at 150mm, have also tried 160, 140 and 130 (talas). Personally I think 150 Pikes would be the perfect choice, the a to c is slighly shorter than my 36s, if I had the cash they’re what I’d have on mine.

chrismac

Did this ages ago it’s great. I’m thinking of having them extended to 160 as I will use it mainly at trail centres and in the Alps. I’m thinking that offset bushes will keep the B&B height in check

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

160pikes, not seen anything that stops me going up, great going down. I’ve had 150 Too, it’s only the rear suspension That ever lets down a five imho.

roverpig

Thanks folks; sounds like it’s worth a try.

creamegg
    Free Member

Go 150mm then if you fancy 160mm its an easy and cheap change up to 160mm which is easily reversible

grey

I ran 150mm Talas 36’s on my Five no problem.

chrismac

Pitch pro. I agree, I’m investigating a cane creek dbinline. I find the standard fox cud blows through its travel way too easily

Burchy1
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve tried 140mm old Pikes, 160mm lyriks and 150mm new Pikes and IMO 150mm was best for me.

The new pikes coupled with some offset bushes works well for me.

Northwind

chrismac – Member

I find the standard fox cud blows through its travel way too easily

That’s where you’re going wrong, foxes don’t have the right gastric system for cud, you want cow cud.

pnik

I had problems with my rp23 blowing through the travel seems it’s not uncommon, volume reducer seems to ha be improved things significantly. not perfect but cheaper than a new shock.

Matt24k
    Free Member

150 mm Revs on mine with travel adjust. Downhill at 150, long climbs at 130.
    I will try the volume reducer in the RP23 when I finally get home to ride it again,

roverpig

Thanks for all the comments. I swapped the 140mm Fox Float 32s for a set of 150mm Pikes (both 26″). Only done half a dozen rides and still tinkering with pressures, but so far it seems to be all positives.

The change in A-C was 17mm, which slackened head and seat angles by about a degree and raised the BB by 5mm. Nudging the saddle forward a bit took care of the seat angle and kept the pedaling dynamics the same. The slacker HA and longer travel, plus a bit of extra stiffness up front helps a bit on the way down and I’ve not noticed any extra problems on the way up yet. I thought I might notice some negative effect of the higher BB on the corners, but it seems to be more than offset by the extra mid-stroke support. It’s certainly easier to put some weight on the front.

It may be partly to do with the extra length, but I prefer it at 30% sag than 25%. Still good support, but lovely small bump sensitivity.

Anyway, just wanted to report back in case anybody else was considering the same change.

br
    Free Member

Axle to Crown sizes, all 26″

521mm – Fox 32 150mm
    529mm – RS Rev 150mm
    532mm – RS Pike 150mm
    542mm – RS Pike 160mm

I’ve just been looking and Alltricks have 160mm 26″ Pikes at £340! But for me 521mm (I’ve 32’s at the mo) to 542mm is just too much, especially as I’ve bonded headcups so an angleset is not an easy option.

qtip

150mm Revs on mine plus offset bushings. You have to work a bit harder to keep the front wheel planted on steep climbs (requires a bit of upper body strength), but overall I love the setup.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Has anybody put a 150mm Pike on a 26" Five?’ is closed to new replies.