Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Has anybody found themselves underbiked with PIkes or Fox 140's etc?
  • vinnyeh

In this country at least, is there any need for the likes of Lyriks, Totems, Fox 36's outside of the more heavyweight stuff in trail centres in Wales and Scotland?

Konastoner
    Free Member

I origionally had pikes on my Heckler and while I found them to be very good I felt that the bike had more to give. Swapped them out with Lyriks and was a different feel alltogether, probably has something to do with the better damping. The down side is that climbing is noticably more difficult, but the downhils out weigh the pain and suffering on the climbs 🙂

jeff

Similar story here – one bike with Pikes one with Lyriks – the bigger forks are noticeably better, especially on the rocker stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    J0N
    Free Member

Rarely found myself under sprung unless I'm out of control, but I have found my forks/head angle too steep for some stuff. However if I did have a slacker head angle I probably go faster then find I needed more travel.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Dunno what country you're talking about but in Ireland? – Yes. Frequently.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Why only trail centres??

I'm sure a lot of natural stuff warrents bigger forks?

I might not needthe 36s on my Heckler, but I certaninly think it feels right.

And yes, there is every chance that I'm "overbiked", but since when has this whole thing ever been about waht you need??

More likely, what you want.

messiah
    Free Member

Why do people think Pike forks are so good?

I found the damping is a bit pish and they frequently blow up on the bigger drops I do – they are easy to fix though and the problems were semi cured with a Push upgrade, but had I the cash my bike would be wearing Lyrics. I also find they chatter in rock gardens and are not as torsionally good when compared to my 180mm Travis – even though I run the Pikes at 120mm most of the time.

Pike's are overated.

jam-bo

my DH bike is out of action at the moment so i'm riding my five/pikes at the DH track quite a bit.

took a bit of getting used to but impressed with how well it's coping. lyrics would be nice but there is no need for them….

fozzybear
    Free Member

i run lyrik on my heckler..
    why?
    because i run my setup ready for alps/DH/trails/trail centres/xc, wind them down for trail/xc and up for alps/DH.

to many people in mtb worry about what others think IMO.

i just ride anything i want on it.. funny that. i just get out there and enjoy the riding and don't worry about what others think..

overbiked or not.. yer people come past me on a climb… WWWOOOOWWWWW l33t dud3!! some point fingers and laugh to friends about being "all the gear and no idea!" just because you ride a bigger bike than the trail requires, do you not think we know this???? i have one bike i can ride anywhere i want. lets see those people come down a trail in the alps with your whippet sub 30lb xc rig.

mboy
    Free Member

Ne'er a truer word spoken IMO…

Why worry if I choose to ride a bike with 170mm of travel on XC rides if I want to? It's up to me! I prefer having the equipment to let me really rock the downhills, and I'll endure the climbs. That's not for everyone, some people ride silly light bikes to get the benefits on the uphills and they are happy to go slower on the downs.

Certainly I'm in the camp where it's always better to have too much rather than too little when it comes to travel…

vinnyeh

i just ride anything i want on it.. funny that. i just get out there and enjoy the riding and don't worry about what others think..

just a question, I'm not particularly worried, just curious about whether folks reckon it necessary to run forks like that.

A few of you seem rather insecure about the issue though..

fozzybear
    Free Member

insecure? nah. just enjoy my riding. got back from a week in the alps never felt happier to have my lyrik, even tftuned serviced them as they are 2 years old and needed a little tlc (plus i got the coil u-turn fitted and the air 2 step removed).

i could have run pikes in the alps and locally, would have felt pretty underbiked over there as i ran 140 fox RLC's 2 years ago and apart from having fox's normal brake dive issues i just blew though the travel. I know i will be going back again and also visiting my local DH spot for a play soon so it's a compromise for me.

i can't afford to have a 3-4" for local loops and a 5-6 for the alps so i made a compromise, yer it's not one to some peoples tastes but frankly IDGAS what they think!

if your not visiting alps/DH tracks i would question running lyrik, a pike or revelation would maybe be a more suitable choice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Having riden some of the Singletrack north of Reading yesterday I'd have to say yes, every other bike we saw seemed to be lyric'ed or 36'ed!!!!!

God knows how they coped, I was regreting the 2.35 tires and 5" forks whilst looking enviously at the lightweight bikes of the rest of our group!

Never felt underbiked on my 5" hardtail except on rocky climbs where a couple of inches out back would aid traction and help keep some momentum.

grumm
    Free Member

I would buy those Lyriks from Merlin right now if it wasn't for the 1.5" steerer 🙁

markd
    Free Member

i just changed to talas 36 from pikes for 2 reasons
    1. they look better on the bike
    2. they are better damped, stiffer, more controllable, steer better, don't dive as much, smoother and plusher.

took some pikes to the alps, 140mm was fine travel wise, all i was wishing i had was a 'better' fork that was stiffer and more controlled. thats why i ended up going bigger. they will stay on 130mm pretty much all the time (on a zesty) but the 160mm ability means they can go to DH mode pretty simply.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Has anybody found themselves underbiked with PIkes or Fox 140's etc?’ is closed to new replies.