Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Has any rounded (ish) their BB, and succesfully removed it DIY?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Help 🙁 lbs is charging £40 an hour

cookeaa

What sort of BB is it?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

What type of bb?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

By rounded-ish do you mean the teeth on the inside of a non-external BB?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Its a GXP threaded.. Hold on i will post pic

Bucko

Molgrips.

bearnecessities

Don’t think he can help.

svalgis
    Free Member

Maybe clamp it in a vice?

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Not sure about “rounded” but I had one where the entire external cup sheared off leaving the threaded shell inside. Cut it out with a Dremmel – cut diagnol across the threads of the shell against the threads of the frame. Got it out OK and the new one sent in fine.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I have a shiny box of new style SLX cranks waiting to be fitted since friday 🙁

LBS havent seen it yet actually I just dropped them an email and they say in a worst case scenarion it’s going to be a £40/hour job. 😐

camerph
    Free Member

You could drill a small hole in the top and bottom.

Put a screw in each hole and then clamp them with mole grips.

This would give you enough leverage to turn it I would imagine.

Not sure if this will work but may be worth a try.

tomat0
    Free Member

Stillson wrench will get that out no bother.

oliverracing

yeah – I would take the cranks out and knock the bearings out of their cups then drill a pair of holes as camerph says, but big enough for a decent sizes screwdriver to fit through to use as a lever

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Drilling top to bottom? But there is a bearings inside, can that be easily removed? …

leffeboy

Looks like you’ve already used molgrips rather than the correct tool :(. There may be enough grip left if you have the correct tool? (or at least if the bike shop have it it won’t take them an hour)

steezysix
    Free Member

Buy/borrow a strap wrench – this would hopefully allow you to grip the BB even if the teeth are rounded off?

oliverracing

the bearings are press fit so will be bloody tight but not impossible to hammer out from the other sidewith a flat blade screwdriver (had to do it to a stuck xt bb before)

camerph
    Free Member

Should be easy enough to knock the bearings out wolf.

As olive says a screwdriver through the him should give enough leverage.

Hope you manage to get it out.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I used bb removal tool.. This:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-external-bottom-bracket-wrench/

Have no problem removing an uberbike ht2 BB in other bike. Less succesful in GXP BB..

Actually just fitted BB last wednesday all kosher using parktool grease then hand to fully screw it in then tools to tighten it.. I ride in the thursday.. And wanting to removed it the friday and this happened 😐

Thanks, for letting me know that bearings can easily be whacked out., hopefully that would lessen the stress off the thread.. Then drill.. I cant sourced out a strap thingy without buying one.. Stillson wrench quite expensive 😛 and I dont think I will have enough leverage using molegrips .. Thanks all for the time. Somehow gave me an idea to DIY

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pipe wrench/stilsons will have that out quick smart.

Strap wrench is a waste of time as they cannot transfer a decent torque to that, its mostly for spinning things up as oppose to tightening and loosening

The bearings are under the area you have rounded not the thread , i would leave them in so they give the thin material some strength when your torquing on it, id also say that drilling through it isnt a great idea.

singlespeedstu

I’d start off by using a better bb tool.

One of these.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lezyne/external-bb-socket-tool-ec034141?country=GB&currency=GBP

Then get some threaded bar or a wheel qr and clamp it on nice and tight through the bb.
    A pound to a pinch of shit it’ll come out then. 🙂

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Is this enough? Or have to get a bigger one?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-pipe-wrench-14/26843

br
    Free Member

Actually just fitted BB last wednesday all kosher using parktool grease then hand to fully screw it in then tools to tighten it.. I ride in the thursday.. And wanting to removed it the friday and this happened

All kosher, since when were molgrips ‘kosher’?

Rather than now damage your frame through more cackhandedness, pay the LBS to get it off and buy a proper BB tool, a new BB and search for a video that shows you how to do it.

tomat0
    Free Member

Think i used 18″ wrench when my BB was wedged in. When the problem gets to this stage you want to guarantee results!

leffeboy

Thanks, for letting me know that bearings can easily be whacked out., hopefully that would lessen the stress off the thread..

I once had a very stuck bb where I had to whack the bearing out, then very carefully saw through what was left of the BB inside the frame and gently prise it out. It worked but took a very long time :(. I’d be tempted to see if the bike shop had a better fitting BB tool as it does look from the photo as there is still quite a lot of ‘teeth’ there

The tool you linked to is open ended which means that if it isn’t well made there is plenty of scope for it to widen enough to slip over the teeth rather than grip when things get tough

brant
    Free Member

Big Stilson. Out in moments. Easy.

Bit of Plus Gas if it’s corroded. Simple.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If its only been in there a week, you are turning it the wrong way or have cross threaded it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

BIG Stilsons as above ….. use them everyday getting stubborn lengths of pipe out

leffeboy

If both are stuck after only a week then it is likely you are doing something wrong. Are you unscrewing in the correct direction? Have you taken the cranks off 🙂 . It’s difficult to believe that two would seize up in a week

tmb467
    Free Member

Alternatively wait until you’ve really knacked it and THEN give it to the LBS

Make em earn their cash

£40 an hour isn’t that much when they’ll have it out in 20 mins

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Where are you? Someone might have a big set of Stillons you can borrow. If you are in Sheffield I have some.

Otherwise, depends what tools you have and how medeival you want to get.

Hacksaw towards frame and cut 2 sides off to make flats. Put in a vice or use a big adjustable.

Through drill and screwdriver a good idea

Last resort, hacksaw blade through bb and cut as deep as you dare in 3 places then collapse the shell inwards with mole grips or screwdriver and hammer.

If you don’t have stillsons, no real neat solution and all risk damaging the frame so take it easy!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I dont think i have cross threaded it as I screw it in just using my hand carefullytill I cant screw it in no more, its then i used the tools to tighten (which i thought is a decent tool till now).. I might get that lezyne bb tool as i need it anyway.

Thanks gravity salve .. Im in the midlands..

BB says to tighten. There is an arrow.. i am undoing it the other way..untighten.. Yes removed cranks.. Removing cranks is easy enough.. No issues there.

Sancho
    Free Member

might have been cheaper if you had bought the cranks from the lbs and got free fitting?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

They can’t price match merlin ;

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are they close to merlin when you add in 40 quid labour to get old bb out 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

As above.Stilsons…Two second job.It will come out easier than the proper tool. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

leffeboy

Stilsons rock – I just removed a stuck seatpost with one 10mins ago. Everyone should have one

Edit: quick Jamie, remove that before McMoonter sees it

cynic-al
    Free Member

Leffeboy – the 1989 Rockhopper stuck seatpost?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Has any rounded (ish) their BB, and succesfully removed it DIY?’ is closed to new replies.