Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hart Rate of 247?
  • Leku
    Free Member

Did my usual 10km rum this morning and used a hart rate monitor for the first time in years.

I hit a maximum of 247 near the end (tired legs but far from totally cooked). I’m 47 and a quick google suggests my max should be about 177.

Am I dying? Dodgy Garmin monitor?

cyclistm
    Free Member

247 always used to be the default error on my old Polar

Leku
    Free Member

I hit 220s & 230s several times on run with 247 near the end.

molgrips
    Free Member

Show us a graph?

It’s theoretically possible I suppose, depends what your typical values are though. The signals are susceptible to inteference though – high voltage power lines used to mess with mine.

mintimperial

Polyester or nylon-mix clothing? Static build up on man-made fibres can cause interference with HRM sensors, especially when it’s windy.

If you felt ok you’re almost certainly fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I thought you got actual heart flutter around 220 beats per minute
    It will be an issue with the monitor rather than you IMHO unless you were running away from a lion for 20 minutes in which case it may be correct

Leku
    Free Member
    Leku
    Free Member

Howies sports wool blend top. No lions.

DickBarton

Suspect it is a wonky receiver reading – I regularly have my HRM at around 190 – always had a fast heart rate so it doesn’t bother me…I sometime get 210…a few months back, got out for a pedal and my average rate was 220 and my highest was 244 – but I felt better than when my rates were ‘normal’…I put it down to a glitch with the readings…

qwerty
    Free Member

I think it would warrant more concern if that little red line was your ECG 😉

chip
    Free Member

I had a max reading on my polar once at + 220 when out for a run on quiet roads late at night and was quite worried till I remembered that some muppet drove by very close and beeped his horn as he passed which gave me a fright and put the high reading down to this moment.

Made me think that you could actually give someone a heart attack by giving them a fright.

Flaperon

Electric fences used to be able to add about 50Hz to my Polar HRM measurements. Might be similar here.

It’s not you, anyway, look how it leaps up instantly at 5 miles.

wait4me

It could be pointing to an irregular heartbeat. When I was in A-Fib my heart rate was very high, and a bit of googling showed that many people find out by seeing unusual readings on a HRM.

Probably a glitch, but just be aware.

lukedwr
    Free Member

My garmin does the same, when either the battery in the HM is going or it can’t get a good contact.

stevious

I’ve had the same thing on windy days when my HRM has dried out so can’t get contact. Usually stops when I get sweaty enough.

ourmaninthenorth

Pretty much one of two things: wonky HRM or wonky heart. If you start seeing this sort of reading more often, head to the doctor.

Leku
    Free Member

I’ll borrow another monitor and check the results. Run was on Bristol Downs so no big electrical pylons or fences.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Time for new batteries

Drac

Take it manually if your monitor shows that again, they pickup any electric impulses given off by muscles so not accurate. If our £19k machines can’t always give an accurate reading then your £200 watch isn’t going to.

matt_bl
    Free Member

My old garmin soft strap did exactly this. Googling showed that a number of people had the same issue, especially if they went through the wash.

I bought a Polar strap, which has worked faultlessly since.

Matt

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s staggering. Usually, you can buck the trend, but that’s only if you’re behind someone elks.

Etc.

stevious

Oh deer.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

try changing your clothing and do another run. My old garmin would occasionally go high. I’d stop and hold onto a lampost and ping my hrm stap and it would drop to something sensible.

In the end I bought a new computer and strap and have been busting a gut to reach the upper limits but so far not hit 230 :).

I’d go along the lines of how you felt at the time and if it is consistently high. All else go see the quack.!

singlespeedstu

10KM of rum?
    I’m not surprised your heart was racing. 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

247 ?

Jesus Christ !………..FENTON !

cheers_drive

My Afib pushes it that high but I can feel it happening. If you feel fine I’d put it down to a sensor problem – battery or clothing.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hart Rate of 247?’ is closed to new replies.