Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Harry Ramsdens – RIP
  • tadpole
    Free Member

perhaps they lost their sole?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Old Peculier (and all the other brews) are still brewed in Masham.

bottled somewhere else though. I did the brewery tour about 6 weeks ago

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Stuff is brewed in Masham, and that goes localy only ie in to the Dales.

The rest is now brewed in Newcastle or some where by one of the big breweries.

Edit: Stand corrected now!

“The Carlisle brewery was closed in 1987, and brewing of some Theakston beers was transferred to Scottish & Newcastle’s Tyne Brewery.

In 2004 the business returned to family ownership after being purchased back from Scottish & Newcastle by four Theakston brothers. Major development works at the Masham Brewery enabled the company to announce that brewing of Theakston Bitter would return to Masham in 2009.[3]”

Philby

Went for fish and chips at Murgatroyds in Yeadon earlier this year but couldn’t get in as queue was out of the door, so drove down to Harry Ramsdens. Not been there for years and remembered the queues and ornate interior but found the place nearly empty and the building more faded glory than modern restaurant. Meal was OK and not too expensive, but not somewhere I would choose to go again. Interesting comparison between old fashioned Harry Ramsdens and modern day Murgatroyds and the relative demand for each bearing in mind they are only a couple of miles apart.

jota180
    Free Member

Best chippy in Leeds by a margin

http://www.theskyliner.co.uk/

Cougar

Isn’t “best chippie in Leeds” a bit like saying “best singer in Millie Vanilli”?

scaredypants

Harry Ramadan’s over the road

now THAT is kwality branding

carlosg
    Free Member

I used to work in a warehouse that was next to Harry Ramsdens and in the 4 years I worked there only went to the chippy once. The chips looked anemic and the batter on the fish wasn’t much better , it’s one of those places (like ‘The Magpie’ in Whitby) that trades on it’s past history not the quality of it’s wares.

Might have to try the ‘Skyliner’ one day but my favourite chippy is ‘Midgley’s’ on Butcher Hill/West Park , monster portions/tasty/cooked properly.

Tiger6791

Tis sad, my sister used to be the Postman Pat and my mum lives down the road by the Land Rover garage.

Guiseley is just a lot of retail parks now

konabunny
    Free Member

perhaps they lost their sole?

Sometimes products belong to a specific time and plaice.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Ah, Bless the Northerners with their itchy woolen socks.
    We have chains of bike shops, they have chains of chip shops.
    Harry Ramsdens in Brighton was where I had one of the most disappointing fish’n’chips I’ve had in a long time.
    Had some lovely fish’n’chips in a cafe in Ilkley mind. Fantastic. And from a cafe in the centre of Bradford.
    POSTED 20 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You went to a Harry Ramadens in a sea side town? There must have been a load of proper fish shops, with fish straight from the sea you were there to look at.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Jeez, it’s a good job people dont believe what they read on the Internet… Chinese whispers and all that. Boddingtons cask bitter is still brewed in Manchester, at the Hydes brewery in Moss Side. Theakstons andBlack Sheep are both brewed in Masham. Newcastle Brown Ale is brewed in Yorkshire now though, in Tadcaster, at the old John Smiths brewery. As is the way of the world. They should rename the stuff though, it is rather misleading, particularly after 9 bottles.

Edukator
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s time to brush off that early nineties expression:

Media-driven recession

konabunny
    Free Member

Why?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I miss the smell of the old Vaux brewery in Sunderland.

I was also jealous of the of the lab technician who used to come into the Vaux pub I worked in. He’d order 3 pints, stick a thermometer in one, some powder in the other, and drink the 3rd.

He never seemed stressed.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

A couple of blokes from Vaux set up the Double Maxim brewery in Hetton I think, so you can still drink some of the better beers they made. I know what you mean about the brewery though, it was the heart of the city, sponsored the football club and all that, and the site dominated the city. The same with the Newcastle brewery. History and heritage count for nowt these days though, for some people at least.

samuri
    Free Member

The corporate takeover branch in Manchester served horrible food. Only went there once, never again.

jota180
    Free Member

Jeez, it’s a good job people dont believe what they read on the Internet… Chinese whispers and all that. Boddingtons cask bitter is still brewed in Manchester, at the Hydes brewery in Moss Side.

as I said, no longer at Strangeways

Theakstons andBlack Sheep are both brewed in Masham.

that’s what I said

Newcastle Brown Ale is brewed in Yorkshire now though, in Tadcaster, at the old John Smiths brewery. As is the way of the world. They should rename the stuff though, it is rather misleading, particularly after 9 bottles

That’s also what I said

Which bit of the internet Chinese whispers did I get wrong? 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

If we’re going to be pedantic, the bit about 9 pints, the bit where Gateshead is not Tadcaster, and the bit about Theakstons. 😆 Oh, and what makes you think my post was aimed at you?

jota180
    Free Member

the bit where Gateshead is not Tadcaster

I think you’ll find that Newky Brown was moved from the City Brewery to the Fed brewery in Gateshead long before they moved it to Tadcaster
    but never mind

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

GG I wasn’t incorrect totaly. Theakstons was produced outside of Masham for quite a few years…I just missed the bit that it had moved back to Masham 🙂

I suppose if your going to brew awful beer you might as well have it all in one place ie Tadcaster. Does anyone actually like Samuel Smiths, or does the low price tag drag people in?!?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – No worries matey, Theakston’s didn’t seem to make a song and dance about the move back to Masham for some reason, so a lot of people still think they brew elsewhere.

I know what you mean about Sam Smiths, but if you find a good pub that serves the beer correctly it can be a nice pint, if quite bland. Most Sammy Smiths pubs serve up vinegar though, but people still drink it as it’s so cheap. The bottled stuff is magic though – try the Taddy Porter, or the Nut Brown Ale. It’s nothing like the Newcastle (Tadcaster?) stuff. 😉

I think you’ll find that Newky Brown was moved from the City Brewery to the Fed brewery in Gateshead long before they moved it to Tadcaster
    but never mind

I actually used to brew the stuff at the Fed, so I did know that. I think you’ll find innacurate pedantry gets you nowhere. 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

I actually used to brew the stuff at the Fed, so I did know that.

Good for you, I worked on the project to move it there

Didn’t think I was being inaccurate or pedantic by saying that they moved the brewing from Newcastle to Gateshead, because that’s what they did, it’s hardly a small insignificant point

They later moved it from Gateshead but that was obviously after they’d paid no regard to the name of the stuff, which is what the whole thread is about

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Didn’t think I was being inaccurate or pedantic by saying that they moved the brewing from Newcastle to Gateshead, because that’s what they did, it’s hardly a small insignificant point

It’s not an insignificant point, but I never said it was. You came in all defensive and pedantic regarding my post for some reason, if that makes you happy, then so be it.

Oh, and back to the OP, I pass that Harry Ramsden’s regularly, it will be strange to see it not there.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Harry Ramsdens – RIP’ is closed to new replies.