Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Harry Potter World – Tips and tricks?
  • geoffj

Planning a trip to hpw for the kids
    Any tips/tricks to make it more pleasant, cheaper or easier?

Ta

the-muffin-man

Were going on Sunday, so I’ll let you know on Monday!

theotherjonv

It’s fabulous. Don’t google too much otherwise the wow! surprises won’t be a surprise.

Top tip for me would be – once you’ve been through the opening introduction bit (no spoilers here) and are let through into the BIG warehouse with all the scenery and props and the like – head to the far corner where the green screen flying car and broomsticks are. You can then jump the queue from the rest of your tour party who are following the main route. Then once you’ve had your photos done, you can retrace and take your time touring the different sets and scenes.

Second tip, at the end once you are in Ollivanders, right at the end of the tour look at the wands on the shelves. Each one is named for someone involved in the film, from Daniel Radcliffe and the main cast, right through to the boy who made the tea on location in Goblet of Fire……. I was amazed at just how many there were, but also to find my mate’s wand (he did a lot of the contracts of employment, being a lawyer at WB)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

TOJ thanks for that, just the sort of thing I was hoping for. TMM, I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

the-muffin-man

and are let through into the BIG warehouse with all the scenery and props and the like

Are you free to go where you want then, or do you have to stay with your tour?

I know you have to book tour times, but is there a time limit on how long you stay?

kcal

bookmarks thread for next set of family holidays. NE Scotland to HPW – how long ! 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

the after dark arts tours are bloody* brilliant!!

* …hell Harry”

You can actually dual with wands, soooooo cool

geoffj

You can actually dual with wands, soooooo cool

*holds head in hands*

The kids are going to be sooooooo excited 😀

pk13

I’ve been twice . They are extending it as well so it must be popular please don’t google it just enjoy it when you arrive. Take lots of photos and a fully charged extra battery.

Harry potter books and films are the connection with my daughter when she was younger. butterbear is rank

theotherjonv

First bit is organised, then you get let into the ‘warehouse’ but you’re free to roam and take your time in there. Then you go to the outdoor sets, privet drive and the night bus, etc, the only rule iirc is you can’t go back. So make sure you see everything before moving on.

scaredypants

do NOT buy more than 1 plastic cup full of butterbeer

dudeofdoom

I really enjoyed it when I went near Christmas…an I’m 46 had to ask for the kiddie passport thing to stamp though 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Trip being planned for next year. Apparently we have to take the kids though…. 😕

the-muffin-man

pleasant, cheaper or easier?

OK – so we went yesterday…

More Pleasant… Just turn up! – all the staff where great, welcoming and knowledgeable.

Cheaper… Not sure on this as you have to book in advance, so I doubt there’s much discounting going off.

Easier… It’s the easiest thing of this type I’ve ever been to. Piece of cake to find (just a few miles off the M25), no queuing to get in the car park, and a pretty short queue at the start of the tour.

My daughter and her cousins absolutely loved it. ‘Best thing ever’ was the verdict afterwards. For a 46 year old bloke who used to watch ever ‘making of’ type documentary when he was a kid there weren’t too many surprises although the attention to detail on the sets and props is amazing.

One main tip though – at the end of the tour either a) blindfold your children and run them out through the shop and to your car or b) prepare to have your wallet well and truly hammered!

Adult rating – 8/10
    Kid rating – squillion out of 10!

geoffj

Well that was ok. Bit of a stalled start, but once we got into the great hall, it was decent enough.
    Butter beer is an acquired taste – sort of like a root beer with an ice cream float on top. One is definitely enough though.
    The model making section was truly amazing.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Must admit there is some fantastic stuff in the souvenir shop!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Harry Potter World – Tips and tricks?’ is closed to new replies.