Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Harrogate – Hen Weekend – Things to do.
  • BenjiM

My wife and her friends are currently trying to organise a hen weekend for one of their number in Harrogate. Is there anybody local to Harrogate that can goive some reccomendations, not just bars and clubs but also other things to do in the vicinity. Any help is much appreciated, they’re rying to organise it tonight. Cheers 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Turkish Baths!!

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

I guess Betty’s tea rooms would be necessary at some point, though the one in town is *very* busy – probably less so at Harlow Carr.

godzilla
    Free Member

Spearmint Rhino?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Yep

Turkish Baths & Bettys – gotta be happy with that, and I can thoroughly recommend B.E.D for a posh evening meal.

Just keep em out of Jimmy’s (they’ve renamed it TIME, but it will always be Jimmy’s to me) 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes – B.E.D. is fab!!

mmm – want to go back to Harrogate again now….

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

And I’ve always loved Hales Bar on an evening – nothing special about it, just somehow always seems to have a lovely atmosphere in there

Rachel

sparkyrhino

Or a trip down the road to mother shiptons cave.its a geological attraction not a sex show by the way

Gribs

Spearmint Rhino?

Has it changed it’s name back? Last time (6 years ago) I was out on a night in Harrogate it’d changed to Wildcats. Always used to end the nights there when I was younger as it was much better than the clubs as the beer was cheaper and the girls prettier.

godzilla
    Free Member

Has it changed it’s name back?

No idea, i will go and look.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Still wildcats. And always rubbish. Avoid Mother Shiptons – shit and nothing to it, just a tiny little cave and a few things hanging up calcifying in the dropping well.. The Academy health club has a nice spa treatments room. Rudding Park recently opened a health club too. Knowing them it’ll be amazing but not been myself. Hales bar is nice ( real gas lights on the bar) as is Old Bell Tavern around the corner. The theatre has some great stuff on too.

Further afield there is Fountains abbey for nice walks or Brimham Rocks for more rustic and natural stuff.

Suko Thai is a great Restaurant or the Tannin Level for European food.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Yep it is wild cats now! Time has closed so need to worry there. Viper rooms is the best club. As restaurants the orchid Thai is amazing! Old bell tavern is good for real beer. Valley gardens not bad for a stroll

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And for a fry up the next morning, Angel Devil on Station Bridge is great.

kayak23

Driving up and down the high street hanging out the top of a pink limo clutching a blow up giant penis?
    That’s the done thing I hear.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah orchid is also very good.

And William & Victoria’s on Cold Bath Road – upstairs in the restaurant for a great fine dining experience.

Avoid Drum & Monkey – still trades on its past good reputation but dreadful now.

CHB

And you are close to Leeds for a proper night out!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Kayak – there isn’t a ‘High Street’ in The ‘Gate. 😛

kayak23

Oh, I see. The ‘lane’ then?
    🙂

BenjiM

Thanks for the replies folks. It would appear they’ve booked into Bettys and they’re going to see The Taming of The Shrew at Ripon Castle. I’ll pass the information on about eats and clubs too 🙂

csb

I guess there’s a large dose of irony in the choice of play?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Driving up and down the high street hanging out the top of a pink limo clutching a blow up giant penis?”

“That’s the done thing I hear.”

Now come we are talking about Harrowgate, its driving up and down in the Bentley covertable sipping Bollinger, throwing £50 notes to the poor unfortunates on the street.

On a more serious note I’d recommend the Spa, and a fantastic meal at the Chinese located in the Spa too.

martinhutch

Harrogate tries to come over all genteel, but you don’t have to scratch far beneath the surface to find its chavtastic side.

If the OP is looking for a daytime activity, how about doing the via ferrata/scramble up How Stean Gorge near Pately? Always good for a giggle.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Harrogate also has a massive drug problem

robh

Has Ripon got a castle or is it a Ripley Castle about 8 miles away?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ripon doesn’t have a Castle, but Fountains Abbey is on the outskirts

http://www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/ its about a 20 min drive from Harrogate.

Ripley Castle is in Ripley just outside Harrogate about a 5 minute drive from Harrogate. Its not really what you would class as a proper castle, but pleasent enough.. and expensive enough to get in to.

There is a ‘Go Ape’ type thing next to the Castle too

http://www.logheights.co.uk/

I would say log heights in the am, lunch at The Boars Head, followed by a look round the castle.

BenjiM

That would be Ripley Castle 😉

ElShalimo

Harlow Carr RHS place if they like flowers/plants/trees etc.

tomhoward

Best entertainment for a load of laydees on a hen do in the centre of Harrogate?

My gaff.

No? fiiiine, ill second Will and Vic’s and B.E.D, had good meals in Restaurant Bar & Grill, Damn Yankee is great for good quality American diner style food. Bib & Tucker do some of the best sandwiches ive ever eaten if they are there of a lunchtime.

Its not my bag but RHS Harlow Carr is supposed to be great (second only to Kew Gardens). Knaresbrough is nice to walk round if its a nice day too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If the OP is looking for a daytime activity, how about doing the via ferrata/scramble up How Stean Gorge near Pately? Always good for a giggle.

They also have teepees on the campsite 🙂 I did their logo and website 🙂

Second walks in Knaresborough – the viaduct over the gorge is a beautiful sight as are the intricate carvings that have recently appeared on Abbey Road.

And does Harrogate have a massive drug problem? I don’t think it has any problems any worse than any other town or city of a similar size.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Harrogate – Hen Weekend – Things to do.’ is closed to new replies.