Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Harris (Isle of) trail tips
  • Oblongbob

Hello STW hive mind. I’m off to Harris on Sunday for a week with the family. Hope to get a few rides in while I’m there. I hear there is some great riding to be had…any suggestions on where it might be found?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’m here with work at the moment. Postmans path from Rhenigidale road to Urgha (and back) is good fun- I did however get two pinch flats the last time!

Some purpose built trails in Lews Castle grounds (Stornoway)

Haven’t done much else, distracted by climbing!

I’ll have Monday/Tuesday evenings free if you want to do a Stornoway spin..

Pyro

Yeah, the loop from Urgha Beag, north to near Maraig, south east on the road towards Rhenigidale, then back over the bealach is the classic loop in the area. Bit of a carry after the footbridge on the return, but a fun descent, just watch for the rain bars.

Oblongbob

Hi both. Thanks for hr suggestions. Much appreciated. RTG, thanks for the offer, I’ll drop you a line if that looks doable.

epicyclo

Waterproof boots, and do a bit of cross country.

balfa
    Free Member

We did a fab bikepacking trip last year (see video below). Highlights were the Postman’s pass and the old coffin road which has had lots of work done to it reccently. The track through the centre of North Harris was good too but is more quad track than single track but makes up for it in remoteness and views. There was also some interesting bits of single track on the west side of south Harris to combine with the coffin rd (best to descend west to east). Let me know if you have any specific questions.

[video]http://vimeo.com/182753525[/video]

epicyclo

See if you can rescue this at 57 58.8N 007 04.8W

“Anyone in Harris currently???

“My name is Stuart Griffin and I am part of an elementary school project from a small school in the U.S. Back in December, we launched a small drifter sail-boat (1.5m) in the Western Atlantic. Amazingly, that mini-boat (with a GPS Tracker) has landed on the shore of the Isle of Harris on June 24th, 2017. Judging from Google earth images, the shore is rocky there. Hence, timely recovery of the vessel is critical to avoid destruction. We seek any assistance you could offer, including specific contact info of the persons in the area who may be able to assist in recovering the vessel, which was named the ‘Sheilds Surfer’ by the students of our school. As of 0748 GMT on 6/24/2017, the vessel was located at:
    57 58.8N
    007 04.8W
    It looks to be about 0.5k from the B887 road and approximately 1.5k from both Gobhaig and Huisinis. We hope for the vessel to be recovered intact and then delivered to a local elementary school. Then, the students in your school can open the cargo compartment and learn about and connect with the students in Lewes, Delaware who launched the Shields Surfer. Please forward this message to anyone locally whom may be able to offer assistance, as time is of the essence to avoid damage to the vessel. It is small enough to be picked up and carried by one or two people.”

Facebook link

Oblongbob

Thunderbirds are go!….I’ll see what I can do. Wait for the post asking for someone to rescue me at 57 58.8N 007 04.8W…

Thanks all for the other trail ideas and info. Very useful.

chickenman

Balfa. Is that the coffin road up from Luskentyre across E? Rode that a few years ago and it was doubletrack then bog; been improved I take it?
    Ride into Sron Uladail from Abhainn Suidhe + back for the view of Britain’s most impressive cliff.
    The LRT S of Mangersta in SW Lewis goes through some grand scenery if you hike up from the pass and walk round for a view of the impressive E facing cliffs above Loch Dhoibadail.

balfa
    Free Member

Yes the coffin rd has been improved presumably since then. There was evidence of ongoing work when we were there. We rode it after heavy rain and found no bog just well built stalkers path on the east side which was great riding. The coffin rd is shown in the video between 2:08 and 2:35.

chickenman

Great vid BTW.

Oblongbob

Indeed, really enjoyed the vid too

epicyclo

Bowglass to Loch Mhiabhaig is a good one, but a definite hike a bike as you come down to Loch Bhoisimid unless it’s been very dry. Plenty wildlife.

I had a pretty hefty fall there because I was too busy watching the scenery instead of the track, ie some great views. 🙂

kcal

We did a big loop round as per epicycle – did it clockwise. – I really enjoyed it but as above, a lot of hike a bike. The rest of the party weren’t so keen, but to me it was proper MTBing!

epicyclo

kcal – Member
    …The rest of the party weren’t so keen, but to me it was proper MTBing!

If you don’t have a bit of hike a bike, you’ve obviously missed the mountain part of the mtb. 🙂

Harris is definitely a place for waterproof boots or at least SealSkinz socks.

Oblongbob

Managed to escape for a couple of hours and road the coffin road loop. Short, but lovely. Path has indeed been improved, and there are barely any boggy bits. Had a minor mechanical moment when an old puncture in my back tyre opened up again and I got doused with sealant as it sprayed out at an impressive rate. Tube had to go in, which made me nervous on the many water bars on the descent. Definitely recommended as a nice wee loop.

whitestone
    Free Member

Done the loop epicyclo mentions but anti-clockwise, think it’s called “Clisham Loop” in one of the guidebooks. Must have been pretty dry as the only pushing was on parts of the climb out of Langadail – probably about 50% rideable that climb. Great views of Sron Ulladale as you descend.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, the clisham circuit is a braw day, as is rhenigadale in both directions. Lots of real nice singletrack south of tarbet as well, get a 1:25000 it’s all marked on there.

scotroutes

The walkers version of the Hebridean Way has now been completed. That should open up a few longer off-road sections for those with the right mindset and a bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Harris (Isle of) trail tips’ is closed to new replies.