Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hardtail withdrawal: On-One 456 evo, or NS Surge Evo?
  • johnny

As above, I went all full suss a while ago, and I’ve got hardtail withdrawal… At the moment the 456’s are all listed at £224 (unless you want a 20″ gate) and CRC have the Surge for £228. I’ve had a mk1 Surge before which was great, and I’m leaning that way, but I’d be interested to know of any comments on both.

It’d be built 1×10 with 130-160 lyriks for trail, jumps and light DH.

lovetoride
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, what did you decide? The surge has dropped to £189 plus £15 off! Just don’t know whether it’s too OTT now compared to previous models or whether it’s marketing words. Overall frame weight is the same.

chakaping
    Free Member

The surge! if you’ve already had one you’ll know how good they are.

If you want a 456, I’d wait until the sale season. On one/PX tend to do big discounts then.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Chapaking – do you think the changes on the surge evo to the previous model will make it less of an all rounder?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Surge is 27.2mm seat post so not many dropper options.
    Think the new 456 will take one won’t it?

johnny

I’m still indecisive, as much about whenever I need a hardtail, as much as which one! The Surge is in the CRC black friday sale at the mo- so with the £15 voucher as well, it’d be about £165…

It looks very similar to the older ones, but a bit slacker- I’m also looking at those sliding dropouts and wondering if a 650b wheel would go in there sometime in the future…!

breadcrumb

The 456 EVO II is 30.9, old skool head tube though.

I really rate mine, bargain at £150. I’m sure they’ll drop back down in price again soon…

lovetoride
    Free Member

Not bothered about dropper or head tube tbh.

breadcrumb

I wasn’t bothered about a dropper till I got one. They are a nice thing to have.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

What breadcrumb said. Great bikes

lovetoride
    Free Member

True, mustn’t try one…

Anyone have any experience of the new surge?

johnny

Hmm, can I do a cut’n’shut of the two!? I have tapered forks ready to go, so the surge is preferable in that case. I also have a 30.9 dropper, which would fit the 456…

+1 for any rider experiences on the Surge!

lovetoride
    Free Member

Couldn’t find much on an internet surge either…

kudos100
    Free Member

The surge is my all time favorite bike. I don’t know much about the new ones, but if it is anything like the old one, it will be amazing.

johnny

Yup, I had one of the first surge frames, it was great as both a little jumps/ railing around bike and for trails.

Had a bit of a search round and there aren’t many reviews, but some positive comments. I’m erring towards having a punt though, even if I ride it over the winter and tell it on in the spring, I could get half the cost of the frame back- cheaper than a set of Yeti bearings for the full suss!

Crunch question though: red or green!? It’ll be with white forks…

lovetoride
    Free Member

I reckon green, I have black forks.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Like you say, for the price it is ATM it’s worth a go and lose little if you decide to sell.

kudos100
    Free Member

Red and white will look the dogs.

lovetoride
    Free Member

What forks will you be running on it?

johnny

OK, trigger about to be pulled… It will be red with white forks!

RC2L lyriks- 2 step ones (130, 160) The mk 1 I had before had 140 pikes on, and the frame always felt like it would handle more?

deviant
    Free Member

Post pics when it’s built, I love a burly hardtail.
    Over the last couple of years I’ve had a 456-evo, a 45650b and a Ragley Piglet.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Yeah definitely post some pics 🙂

johnny

So, the surge arrived over the weekend- first impressions are that it looks great, the red is a very bright orangey-red (Endurooooooo….)

Finish is very good, much better than my old Surge- dropouts are sweetly done, the stickers are well done and suitably lary. Weight feels about the same, but it looks meatier than the old mk1… I balanced it on some wheels and fork to get an idea of geometry, but it won’t get built until after Xmas now, as I’m off on my jollies at the end of the week…

johnny

Pants- flickr is rubbish…

Try here

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’m on my 4th Inbred/456, now got the 650b, it’s fantastic value and a great ride – gets loads more use than my Nomad!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail withdrawal: On-One 456 evo, or NS Surge Evo?’ is closed to new replies.