Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hardtail, same old questions!
  • marksnook
    Free Member

So I have a set 27.5 wheels and forks kicking about so I figured I would build a hardtail up for days when 150mm rear travel just isn’t needed. Having a 150mm fork the standard hardcore hardtail thing seemed like a decent option. However having a small budget for a frame, 200 ish, options are limited. I can get a dartmoor primal which is Ali, I would like steel though. Has anyone ridden the dartmoor? Basically I want something as playful as my kona process, but hardtail! Rode a mates 456 in 26″ and wasn’t impressed so reluctant to go 45650b. Or second hand steel if I can find something? Or shorter fork and piglet in sales? Am I thinking about this too much?!!

prawny

There’s a nice P7 on eBay for £300ish. Quite tempted myself, loving being back on a hardtail at the mo.

honourablegeorge

Croc have some nice Ragley frames close to your budget

marksnook
    Free Member

You mean crc?! There is a piglet on crc for for 250 which I reckon I could push to, they only have the blue pig left in a 14 inch though which I think is just too small. Worried the longer fork would ruin the piglet. Maybe sell the fork and buy a 130mm fork. P7 is nice, if I get near to 300 there are a couple more options, where do draw the line though ha ha

chiefgrooveguru

A couple of mates really rate their Dartmoor Hornets (I think that’s the model) with 6″ forks up front and they’re both quick on them.

With big forks I’m not hugely convinced of the benefits of a steel frame – to make the front end stiff enough to cope with the leverage from a fork that long (and how hard you can hit things) and keep the wheel pointing the right way under torsional loads, I don’t believe there’s much vertical compliance to be gained over an alloy frame.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah that kind of makes sense, only ever had alloy hardtail anyway so guess I wouldn’t notice the difference! Can I reduce travel in a set of yari forks? They are 150mm at the minute. I like the look of a steel frame and most people seem to rate them so fancy trying one. Alloy with long fork or piglet with shorter fork then

dannyh
    Free Member

I ride a Primal 27.5 and I really like it. I run 140mm Sektors on it. I built it up after my 45650b cracked.

Compared to the 45650b I find it much more sprightly, but haven’t really noticed the extra stiffness (supposed) as the 45650b has the ‘gas pipe’ seatstay arrangement, which I think takes the steel feel away. Previously I rode a 26er 456 evo 2 which I really liked, but this had the four-piece seatstays and was much more compliant.

Anyway, I find the Primal a really nice shape. It is a bit longer yet a tad steeper than the 45650b, which I count as a positive. It looks lovely in the red and is very good value. I can’t vouch for long term durability yet, but if anyone will break it, I will. Of my four previous hardtails I have cracked three (the evo got nicked).

johnw1984
    Free Member

How tall are you?

Selling a 2016 Commencal Meta AM HT frame with a Works 1.5 deg angle set for £100 posted. It’s XL though.

I ran it with a 150mm Fox 34 and it was brilliant.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ so an xl may be on the big size! Would have been sweet though!

Cheers Dannyh, between the primal and the ragley piglet I reckon. Dartmoor say the primal would work with a 150mm fork. I want something fun but good for XC too. My kona is a whole lot of bike for peddling on bridleways! I found the 456 a little dead feeling if that makes sense, didn’t make me want to jump off of everything or ride far!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cotic Bfe, just built mine up in 26″ flavour and it’s a joy to ride.

dannyh
    Free Member

By ‘456’ I assume you mean 45650b? As I said above, the seatstay arrangements on that and the 456 evo 2 (26″) are totally different.

45650b:

Evo 2:

You can see how much slimmer and more graceful-looking the evo 2 seatstays are. These made that model feel much more ‘steel’ to me.

Get a Primal! Another good feature of the Primal is that it has a full integrated headset, so if you are going to build it yourself, you don’t need to get the headset pressed or own a press. I know some people swear by two blocks of wood and a hammer, but I don’t – not on a new frame.

marksnook
    Free Member

I reckon it was the evo one I didn’t like, it was bright yellow and 26″ wheel that’s all I remember! To be fair though I don’t like his current set up so with my bars and everything set my way it could be a different beast.
    Cotic is an option second hand, there are a couple 650b bfes about, keeping an eye open!

Like the miami vice colour on the primal and the red!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail, same old questions!’ is closed to new replies.