Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hardtail frame for a big lad…
  • topgunsteve
    Free Member

Right then chaps, a little advice if you please.

I’m thinking about building a new hardtail but not sure what frame to use. The tricky thing is that i’m 6’4″ and hefty so I need at leats a 21″ frame and these seem few and far between. I already have a FS Trek Fuel EX8 for fun at the trail centres etc but I’m after a fast little hardtail for whipping around the Surrey hills and the odd race or two so ideally after something based on a 100mm fork. Also don’t want to spend a fortune, sub £500

Suggestions if you please

Shibboleth
    Free Member

What about a Chameleon? I have an XL that’s going to be for sale…

EDIT: Sorry, 130mm fork is ideal on this…

si-wilson
    Free Member

The new Chumba HX1, works with 100-140mm forks, has an EBB if you wanted to run singlespeed and a tapered HT all for £399

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/hx1.html

big_scot_nanny

Gotta suggest a 29er. I’m on a Chumba HX2, on 120mm (but can be specced with 100mm), and it is fantastic. STIFF! I about the same height and weight as you.

Kev

si-wilson
    Free Member

The new HX2 is also available for £399.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Clubber… already posted on that thread, hes smaller and after a new bike, I want frame only

big_scot_nanny… not sure about 29er, need to try one out.

This stems from the fact that I built my GF an On-One 456 (in pink) to get her into MTB (she’s enjoying it which is a releif, even did Afan in the snow at the end of Nov without any problems, only her second time out). Basically when i’d finished the build I thought, damn, I want one now, but its too small for me and my bros 20″ 456 is a fraction too small.

Don’t want to go above 100mm forks because if I’m going anywhere that warrants more travel I’ll be using the EX8

Like the look of th Kinesis Maxlight XC3 but still not sure about the sizing, has anyone had any experience with these th XC3?

topgunsteve
    Free Member

HX2 looks sweet but they only do it in a Large whihc in my experience is only 20″ max, too small. Never ridden a 20″ frame that is an acceptable fit

clubber
    Free Member

Ok well more specifically, I’m 6’5″ and happy on my 20″ Inbred and my XL (21″) Singular Swift.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Both the large HX1 and HX2 are 21″ frames with 24.5″ effective TT lenghts.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Clubber… I have been considering the Inbred as the sizing guide is different to the 456, what size stem do you use? do you feel at all ‘perched’ on top or is it just right?

topgunsteve
    Free Member

on closer inspection I quite like the look of the HX2

TooTall
    Free Member

On One ScandAL – light, racy, works well with 100mm forks. Taller and heavier than you and mine has survived 4 years. If you are passing Bristol, more than welcome to try it.

clubber
    Free Member

456 and inbred are basically the same ‘fit’ – at least I had both of mine set up the same and they felt very similar – the kind of thing you forget after 5 mins riding. IIRC the 456 has a slightly steeper seat tube. I certainly don’t feel ‘perched’ on top.

100 or 110mm stems on mine.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Nice.. think I’ll be going for a geared set up, too much of a woossss for single speed.

I’m 18 1/2 stone.

TooTall – thanks for the offer but I doubt I’ll be anywhere near Brizzle any time soon.

perhaps I should steel my bros 456 for the afternoon and have another ride

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Girl Friend’s 456

big_scot_nanny

it is brill, I love mine, now adding a FS 29er as fully drinking that cool aid now!

big_scot_nanny

topgunsteve – HX2 is nice, great frame, does exactly what it says on the tin, staggering stiffness and tire clearance. New version looks even nicer.

I would also consider the canfield yelli screamy (sp?), it looks fabby-do also.

Kev

awesom-o
    Free Member

+1 for the HX2, I’m 6’4 and it fits like a glove…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail frame for a big lad…’ is closed to new replies.