Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hardtail build circa £1k
  • rogp
    Free Member

As above, looking to put together a build for around £1K.

Criteria:

26″ wheel
    Chuckable/freeride type geometry – but rideable all day
    Capable of taking 140/160mm fork

spuddle
    Free Member

Can you save a bit more / work a bit harder and get to 1,250? if so, Stanton slackline 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

It must be because I am lusting after one of the carbon 29r race bike bundles from here, but I keep spotting the bargains on the site.
    This may fit the bill and its all there and done for you, just the riding left & gives you £100 change (prob £200 as everyone busts the budget) for some kit or toward a weekend riding it somewhere nice.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/YBCL197886/on_one_456_evo_x5_sektor_bike___matt_raw_with_orange_decal__16_inch

rogp
    Free Member

Yes, £1250 is not out of the question 🙂

I have a pool of money which has to buy a road bike and this bad boy so what I give to one I take from the other.

Was also thinking Dialled Bikes Alpine sort of thing?

matther01
    Free Member

+1 Slackline. Blue looks awesome…actually they look good in all colours!

Would buy one of their frames but no tapered head tube and thin seat tube for my forks and dropper. I have a sneaky suspicion they are working on this at the moment though, so may wait and purchase one later.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BFe, I bought mine for just that purpose, it has 150/120 adjustable coil forks which work really well. I did spend quite a bit more than that but I have Hope hoops and top of the range brakes.

matther01
    Free Member

I was thinking of a Bfe, just wish the 2012 version came in blue not green.

rgop – add £460 for the slackline frame…so probably a no goer!

Saracen Zen X has got a few decent write ups for £1100 (if you can find one) or you could try a Ragley Pig frame?

float
    Free Member

go second hand and you can get a cracking hardtail for a grand.

rogp
    Free Member

I should add that the seat tube diameter will need to be Reverb compatible as I can’t live without one now

tpbiker
    Free Member

you could build yourself a nice Blue Pig for around a Grand?

matther01
    Free Member

I had an Orange Crush a couple of years ago, but not great for all day riding (probably due to frame sizes jumping from 17 to 19 and I needed an inbetween). It was also really harsh on my backside being alu.

All the reviews I have seen indicate the Cotic Bfe is a good bet for what you want. Frames releatively cheap if you run a straight steerer and get the 2011 model (£300 new). Then just pick up cheap parts on here.

Or like float says just try and get a second hand built up hardtail.

Put a ‘wanted’ add here and search the usual other bike selling sites.

A few here:- http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?q=cotic&category=0&pmin=&pmax=&region=5

steezysix
    Free Member

Have a look at the NS Core 1 – it’s a complete bike based on the excellent Surge frame – CRC have them cheap at the moment.

There are probably some parts you’d want to swap out in the long term, but they’re really fun to rag around and quite pedalable for longer rides.

mike399
    Free Member

Might also be worth having a look at the Ragley blue pig ‘cosmetic damaged’ bikes on CRC.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail build circa £1k’ is closed to new replies.