Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Hardtail after many years of FS
  • grtdkad

I rode a spesh Epic for a few years before switching back to HTs in 2007. Had an uber-light Beone Team HT and now have a carbon Whyte 19 sitting at a smidge under 23lbs. I’ve not regretted moving back on to the HTs at all.
    Get good brakes and good rims/hubs…I use Crossmax XLs

Both of these bikes climb, accelerate and descend (plummet) fantastically, because they have good geometry and they benefit from being light and chuckable. I love them. It would take a lot to make me go back to a FS!
    (Incidentally – aged 43 and 14 stone)

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hornet600 – Member

@Pedalhead – What 29 Ti have you got? Very tempted to switch from 26 to 29

mine’s a Singular Pegasus. Lovely thing

br
    Free Member

I went from an 06 Enduro to a 456.

Yes it was a bit slower over real rough terrain and harder work, but definately more fun and it doesn’t feel like its going to kill me.

And from there I moved onto a 456Ti and have slower lightened it down plus added carbon bars/post which really puts the comfort back.

Its my only bike (through choice) and I’ve a selection of gear/wheels/tyres to swap in/out depending on what I’d doing, and when/where.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I gave up a 26er full sus 2 years for a TI456 hardtail, great bike, fast etc, but not as comfy over the rough. I then sold the frame and forks and got a 29er frame, forks and wheels etc. Problem solved! Faster and rides better over the rough and I still have my fillings and a good back at 44.

Hope this helps.

moose2008
    Free Member

I think a steel 29er hardtail is the way to go and know quite a lot of people who have gone that route after riding FS trail bikes. Their riding has improved and they are quicker more efficient riders. Believe it or not a couple of the guys are even faster on 29er HT’s than their FS bikes on the decents as well, the big wheels do help. I wouldn’t look past a 29er if I was getting a HT, unless you count a fat bike that’s well worth a look too.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail after many years of FS’ is closed to new replies.