Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hardtail 26er or Rigid 29er?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Found myself at a buying point. Not sure what to go with? Any recommendations?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

What sort of riding do you do?

Trail centre?
    Down hill?
    Canal Tow Paths?

jameso

A good salesman would say you’re actually a fair way off ‘buying point’ )

teadrinker
    Free Member

Good Point Jameso 🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

Good Point Jameso 🙂

Riding style, nothing to technical as I live on the Essex/suffolk border so Thetford etc but I do manage to get away to the Lakes and the North Yorks for proper riding but not trail centre riding.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

For rigid I have found my 29er far more capable. even with 1.9″ tyres compared to 2.2″ tyres/

Might not be as much fun possibly.

jameso

It’s more about ‘how’ you like to ride, than ‘where’ imo. Any reason not to consider a 29″ HT as the 3rd option?

teadrinker
    Free Member

Any reason not to consider a 29″ HT as the 3rd option

Cost mainly, at the moment I’m running a pair of Fox Talas that are always on lock out. So I’m questioning myself if I need suspension with the comfort of a 29er.

I’m riding a Kona Explosif at the moment but as nice as it is I miss my old P7 which I have and am considering getting that resprayed and then building that up with my current set up or just take the plunge and go 29er now and possibly get some suspension forks at a later date if needed?

I’m nowhere near at buying point am I 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Do you like exploding wheels?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

What about 650b?, you may be able to fit the bigger wheel in your existing Talas.

jameso

Well I’m a big believer in rigid bikes that are short forked / rigid-specific, but a rigid non-euro-jey 29er that can take a 100mm fork one day sounds ideal otherwise. Unless you go for a 26 that is )

vondally
    Free Member

rigid 29er…..suprisingly spry and compliant

26er with 140 plus forks…..suprisingly silly and daft

so both

binners

You’ve just answered your own question. The answer, as with a lot of things, is an Orange P7

avdave2

So I’m questioning myself if I need suspension with the comfort of a 29er.

I’ve gone from a 26″ wheel at the front of my rigid bike to a 29″ wheel and there is no doubt it’s more comfortable. I wouldn’t equate it to suspension though. The nearest thing to it I find is getting to the end of a section on my hardtail thinking it was a bit bumpy and realizing that’s because the Rebas are still locked out. In other words I reckon it’s similar to having 20mm or so of movement

Being 5’5″ I’m not likely to be buying a 29 suspension bike but I would now look at 29 rigid specific bikes if the current frame ever needs replacing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail 26er or Rigid 29er?’ is closed to new replies.