Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hardrock groupset upgrade
  • tanisdraven
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Will this groupset fit my 2010 Specialized Hardrock?

SLX groupset

My main question is around the crank and bottom bracket. Will any groupset fit the Hardrock or is there a certain size?

Here is the original Hardrock spec

The original bottom bracket is a Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm

Will the above groupset fit this frame?

Thanks guys.

Rosss
    Free Member

That will all fit fine however I’d question why your doing it. SLX is a great groupset, I use it on my Ibis but I think you’d see a much bigger performance hit for that money on frame and fork. Just a suggestion on my behalf don’t take it too heart but yes that groupset would fit fine and could be moved onto a new bike down the line.

tanisdraven
    Free Member

Hi Ross thanks for the feedback. I’ve already upgraded to a Rockshox Recon fork, and changed the wheels to Shimano Mach 1s.

I like the Hardrock frame, plus also it keeps everyone else’s expectations low when you arrive on a Hardrock!

So if is strip the frame and dump everything off it that groupset (which includes brakes) should be fine? There are no implications in changing the bottom bracket? The new SM-BB70 Bottom Bracket would fit the Hardrock frame?

Thanks for the advice!

khani
    Free Member

As above, it’ll fit fine, but for me wheels and fork would be first. The frames are actually pretty good..
    The stock wheels and fork are heavy, you’d shave lb’s off it with some Hope hoops and a Reba/fox 32 upgrade..

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yes the slx chainset and bb will fit but it would not take much to find a much nicer frame.
    Older m5 rockhopper frames are very good and cheap

Rosss
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got the upgrading down to a tee! The BB is a different style and will require a new tool if you’re doing it yourself however it’ll fit fine, They come with 3 little plastic spacers to enable it to fit 68 or 73mm bbs. Your current brakes are Avid but i’d just bolt the new brakes to the old adaptors and rotors as you dont get new ones with that groupset it’ll work fine unless anything is wornout.

EDIT: If you do get the groupset I’d get it from Merlin, A fair bit cheaper, in the UK not China and you get rotors : http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-m670-triple-groupset-sale-65626.html

tanisdraven
    Free Member

Wow – thanks Rosss!

There is only the “top swing” in stock. Is that the one I need? Has cables as well as rotors!

tanisdraven
    Free Member

Last question.

Could you tell me what the difference (other than £50) is on these two packages? The are both group sets with brakes right?

Groupset One

Groupset Two – £50 more

Rosss
    Free Member

In it’s most basic form top swing refers to where the clamp is in relation to the cage of the front mech if I remember correctly. Don’t take my word for it but I think the seat tube is regular and straight to the BB so it wouldn’t matter either way as there is nothing to obstruct the mech? As for the groupsets i’m not sure what the difference is, I think the cheaper one is a one off deal where as the more expensive one allows you to chose cassette range. Once again don’t take my word for it but i’d be good if someone could correct/agree with all that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

299.99 Has SPLINED rotors – do not buy unless you have shimano centrelock (rahter than 6 bolt) hubs (although you could flog the rotors and would probably get a pair for less than the difference)

tanisdraven
    Free Member

RIght – I have Shimano 475 6 bolt disc hubs so i need the more expensive package I guess

Rosss
    Free Member

I highly doubt they’ll give you adaptors for the brakes anyway so i’d get the cheaper package and just sell the new rotors on and buy the ones you need as and when. Simpler that way and you could easily buy two new rotors for less than the £50 difference

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye, true enough, just buy it and use the rotors you’ve got for now

tanisdraven
    Free Member

The cheaper package has a 180 front rotor. I currently have 160mm rotors front and rear so I guess I should get a front rotor too and some new brake cables 🙂

Thanks for all the advice guys – you really helped a very confused newbie!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

No just stick with what you’ve got, no cable required as they’re hydraulic brakes. The brake callipers will just sit in the adaptors you’ve already got on your fork (unless post mount in which case will the calliper will bolt straight to the fork) and rear brake mount. I’d advise getting someone local who knows their way around a bike to show you.

tanisdraven
    Free Member

D’oh! course no cables!

Thanks again!

Speshpaul

Matey,
    noticed your are in shropshire, me to. email me if you need anymore help.
    cheers
    paul
    paul.sal AT btinternet.com

fr0sty125
    Free Member

SLX Brakes £110
    SLX Crank £90
    XT Cassette £37
    SLX Gear leavers £43
    SLX Rear Mech £35
    KMC X10 Chain £20
    SLX Front Mech £20

Total £355 but you get an XT cassette which might be important if you ever consider going 1×10 with a 42t cog.

I would suggest you consider 1×10 anyway that would mean not getting a front mech and not getting that pair of levers but getting a Zee one instead that would be £43 less. Then spend £35 of that on a Narrow Wide chain ring, you could also consider ordering a 42t cog for your cassette. This would give you a range of 11-42t very similar to SRAM 11 speed sets 10-42t.

You may not want to do this but if you are buying a new groupset I would at least think about it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hardrock groupset upgrade’ is closed to new replies.