Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hardcastle Crags/Hebdon Bridge
  • Mugboo

Went walking there yesterday, Pecket Well/Crags up the valley back down Widdop Gate, to the Mill, up to Heptonstall (pint), back upto Pecket Well (pint, Landlord, mmm).

Questions??

The path we took up the valley towards Widdop (not by the river, not the BW up top, goes past a last house as it leaves the tree’s) looks good if heading towards the Mill, is it?

The set of very worn steps with one or two tyre marks that we walked up when we headed for Heptonstall look good as well..

Having walked some lovely looking BW’s i’m confused, they all look like downhills, how do you all get back up? I heard a rumour some folks even ride SS round here, can this be true, how big must their legs be??

I only live over in Wilsden, think i’ve got some exploring to do!

Mugboo

Thats the one ton, looked good fun. Also the stony path next to the river a little further on from there, towards Midgehole working mens club.

Whats the rights on riding down there? I obviously wouldn’t do it on a Bank holiday…

brant
    Free Member

I obviously wouldn’t do it on a Bank holiday…

I am sure there are them that will though 🙁

Ed is available for guiding – http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/ – and can save you a lot of hunting/wasted trips 🙂

RDL-82
    Free Member

hey ‘ton’ or anyone who has a good knowledge are you allowed to ride the route marked or is it a cheeky one as i always go up shackleton and round to new laithe moor, but fancy going through the woods, if you can.

cheers

Ed-O
    Free Member

Questions??

The path we took up the valley towards Widdop (not by the river, not the BW up top, goes past a last house as it leaves the tree’s) looks good if heading towards the Mill, is it?

Oh yes.

The set of very worn steps with one or two tyre marks that we walked up when we headed for Heptonstall look good as well..

Yes again.

Having walked some lovely looking BW’s i’m confused, they all look like downhills, how do you all get back up?

Road winching. Plus lots of other bridleways coming out from different valleys. All in a clover leaf style. We don’t really do loops here.

I heard a rumour some folks even ride SS round here, can this be true, how big must their legs be??

Climbs are steep but they are generally short.

I only live over in Wilsden, think i’ve got some exploring to do!

About 20 years worth yes 🙂

Mugboo

Cheers Ed’o, you ever free on a Monday?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I obviously wouldn’t do it on a Bank holiday…
    I am sure there are them that will though

like the Bog Trotters boldly going there today :o)

jimleach
    Free Member

There will be lots of kids walking today, be carefull! There are shit loads of good trails round here, you dont have to ride the most populated.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

“think of the children” ??

jimleach
    Free Member

Think of everyone, including yourself. The vast majority of good riding around hebden is cheaky, but a certain amount of common sense and damage limitation has to come into play. Personally I rarely ride in the crags and never on a weekend or a bank holiday. There are plenty of other really good technical trails that are less populated.

Simon

Mugboo, me and Chase keep meaning to get over the hill into Calderdale for a change of scenery, we’ll have to plan a trip, maybe one evening now the nights are lighter.

jimleach
    Free Member

Its worth the trip, great riding and plenty of good watering holes for the post ride pint 🙂
    As Brant said, if you want a guide… Ed’s yer man.

Mugboo

Sounds good Simon, me and Paul are around a bit earlier on a Monday, I’m off and Paul can be as well. Any good at some point?

Simon

Might have to see if I can get a Monday afternoon off work, I’ll need to be back home for around 7pm though.
    I’ve got Monday the 27th off but it’s the day after the Kielder Enduro so riding might be the last thing on my mind.

Mugboo

Sounds good Si, we’ve got all summer.. If we can’t sort out a Mon then we’ll wait for mid summer. I’ll check my calendar re-27th.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I get every other Friday off it anyone wants to meet and be shown a few bits and pieces of fun stuff 😉

bomberman
    Free Member

Davey, any word on improving the trail from Norland to North Dean woods? particularly how to cross the bog?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yeh, don’t. The bit after the bog doesn’t flow – its better to drop off Norland down to Gollums Pool and then across a bit and then climb up to the Terrible Turns and then drop from there onto sh*t spreader hill. I’ll show you if you want sometime next week after work 😉

Simon

Sounds good DBW, Fridays are doable for me with some planning.
    Did you get over to Bingley/Harden/Cullingworth for a ride?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Still on my to-do list Simon!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hardcastle Crags/Hebdon Bridge’ is closed to new replies.