Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hard times ahead – poorly mum
  • So, my mum (mid 60’s) has been complaining of memory loss for a couple of months now and been to see GP’s etc. We joked on a family meal not long ago about how she’d remember her appointments. A couple of weeks ago, she started to become quite confused and distressed and was repating herself a lot.

This has degenerated considerably over the past week, to the point she can’t complete a sentence and has a total lack of energy and loss of some motor functions on her right side. Finally today she was referred and admitted to hospital (after some frustrating visits/consultations previously) and has had a brain scan.

We are awaiting the results, but it seems like the options are down to a brain bleed, organic brain disease, or a tumour – I’ve not personally spoken to a doctor, this has come from my sister.

No real point to this post and I’m not really feeling sorry for myself, just feeling awful for my poor mum. To see such a normally strong willed person so confused and in her moments of clarity realising that she might not be coming back from this is very upsetting. 🙁

Back from the hospital, sat drinking a large Jack, some mellow tunes on and not looking forward to what we are going to find out tomorrow

marmaduke
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that man, that sounds tough as hell especially if she’s aware of what’s going on. I certainly fear the day my parents begin to release their grip on the present.
    Much strength. Maybe look up mindfulness if you want a way to get a little bit of perspective on things, some of my very down-to-earth mates have found it a helpful way to distress. Either way don’t forget to look after yourself.

1-shed
    Free Member

Similar here, be supportive and don’t forget to have quality time together.sometimes that is just soup and a sandwich and time to talk or listen. I went down to my parents, mowed the lawn, cooked tea and mum and dad were so happy. You will work it out.

Cougar

All I’ll say is, don’t jump to conclusions.

If it is an injury like you say, brains are remarkable things for healing. I have a tale it’s too late tonight to go into here but, been there, and from a very bleak situation it worked out in our case. Fingers crossed mate.

matt_outandabout

🙁

Never easy. Just going through similar with my dad, only he has dicky heart valve, infection and something else they can’t figure out going on 🙁

Trekster

Same here, as my old man says “I’m knackered” loads wrong but probably the worst being a herniated asophygous. This along with dodgy heart, arthritis and knackered lungs for which he has finally been given oxygen tanks for home rather than being whisked into A&E every other month! Due to all his other problems nothing much can be done for the hernia which can restrict his eating and could pop any time. It was suspected originally that he had cancer….
    Mum died a couple of years ago having suffered dementia for 10yrs. This was brought on by a post op stroke, she had the toes of one foot amputated after a various vain burst. Dad looked after her till he could no longer do so because of his health. Having to let mum go into a home broke him……
    The 9 months she spent in hospital post op were tough. Watching them at home was tough. The year she spent in the home was good but even tougher watching them both going downhill. The days when mum was bad were bad!

project
    Free Member

Once your mum gets a diagnosis youll feel more at ease, its a horrible situation the wait to know, but the NHS does do these things quite well and for free.

Just be there for her.

anagallis_arvensis

My dad was diagnosed with a brain tumour last August. It’s been grim if I’m honest but on the plus side he’s still with us and despite getting weaker a weaker and sleeping lots he hasn’t been in pain much.

slowoldman

My mum went through a spell of confusion what I can only describe as “dislocation”. For a while she was asking dad when they were going home . They were at home. She was getting very upset that no-one agreed with her. It turned out to be a thyroid issue of some sort which medication sorted out very rapidly.

samuri
    Free Member

Bummer. Listen, my dad was diagnosed with a brain tumour back in ’86. He had 4 operations and died in 2010 from a completely unrelated issue. Each time the tumour was getting bigger we’d know because he’d start talking about strange smells. Quick op, laser or maybe a knife, back to normal.

Doctors are **** awesome.

duckman

Sorry for both you and AA,to the OP,as others have said the waiting is the worst,good luck.

Definitely a tumour, quite large and spreading from the left to the right. Should know by Tuesday whether it can be reduced, or is aggressive. Lots of tears yesterday. I don’t think mum has actually grasped what’s going on yet though

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hey, stay strong – take care of yourself and your Mum. Fingers crossed for you all.

csb

May 2008 my mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour. Things escaped quickly to the point she died in a hospice in October 2008. I had to do all the decision making with the hospitals and social services. Dad was in bits.

What I learnt was that there are no right and wrong answers, just tough decisions on care, interventions or not, and when to be honest with people. Not sure mum ever accepted her fate.

Good luck and as above, take time to reflect, use others as a support. Focus on the small things that make a difference to her comfort.

scaredypants

Best wishes to you and your mum, str

anagallis_arvensis

I would say you need to start seeing a MacMillan nurse asap. My dad had surgery which reduced the tumour a lot. He also had radiotherapy which was tough as it meant going to hospital 5 days a week for 4 weeks. He was then diagnosed with another primary cancer in his bladder and was told he needed treatment on that. He told them to stuff it. That was around xmas time. Luckily in some senses my mum was a Mac nurse for 20 odd years so she could help him with some honest views of the pro’s and cons it also means she has lots of support from friends who know their stuff. Start talking to people who can help now and get your mum talking to them too. Good luck.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hard times ahead – poorly mum’ is closed to new replies.