Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • hard core 29er anyone?
  • Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Anyone gone 29er and regreted it. I ride some pretty tight techy stuff and just started getting a bit of air under my wheels. I test rode some 29ers and the trek 69er last year at Aston Hill but It snowed and there was so much claggy mud on the tyres that it made them feel so heavy it put me off. Since then Ive read some pretty positive stuff about them and I'm begining to think they might be the way to go for my 6'5" frame. Are ther any 'all mountain' 29ers about that can take some abuse, i suppose wheel strength may be the limiting issue.

djglover
    Free Member

I'd love to ride a 6 ins travel bike with a 50-70mm stem and a 29ins front wheel. I've ridden the FS XC treck one and though it was great, but I really would like to try something stronger and slacker with more travel

rOcKeTdOg

snowed? 😯

i don't want to think about snow

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

i built up a very togh h/tail 29r recently.
    dh strength wheels, wtb stout tyres, 130mm travel bolt thru forks and 200mm brakes.
    it did not feel right.
    too high, too long, too slow on the proper rough, and very hard work at slow speeds.

TooTall
    Free Member

I test rode the Turner Sultan earlier this year – I'm 6'7" and it was the XXL. It could take some abuse and rode superbly.

I maintain that if you are a big bloke and you want to ride a bike like a BMX, stick to 26. I equate 29er to longboards in surfing – a slightly different style and not the same for all things, but equally rewarding but a bit different.

GW
    Free Member

ton – DH strength 29er rims? they'd weigh a Ton! 😉 but even if there were such a thing, there are no decent tyes anyway.

bedmaker

No decent tyres?

There are now

The nicest looking hardcore frame available now is the banshee paradox imo.

Lenz is worth a look for full sussers, don't know if anyone imports them though.

ton

GW – Member
    ton – DH strength 29er rims? they'd weigh a Ton! but even if there were such a thing, there are no decent tyes anyway.

kris holm fr rims, on pro2 hubs, built with sapim strong spokes.
    built by spa cycles.
    these wheel are as strong as any dh 26'' wheelset.
    and clad with wtb stouts thay do make a pretty robust build.

Shackleton

Banshee Paradox. Not sure if it is availiable yet but can't be far off.

Although Banshee are called Mythic in the UK (Halfords copyright rubbish) and are distributed by Freeborn.

As with any 29er wheel choice will make a huge difference. Something like Stans Flows on high flanged hubs with the new Geax TNT Gato 2.3 would produce a very strong, light, wide and tough wheelset suitable for most conditions. Salsa Gordos are even wider but I wouldn't want to pedal them uphill.

Claggy mud will make any wheel feel heavy!

MrTall
    Free Member

Bonesetter off here has just received his Banshee Paradox (running Maxle reba 120's) and loves it so far. He also has a Lenz which he is very happy with.

I have a new Salsa Big Mama full suss which i think is great and i also have a Rockhopper 29er (80mm travel) which copes with everything i throw at it.

You need to try a 29er for a decent test ride (Chevin cycles have some demo's i believe) or i'm sure that you could find a 29er rider close to you who'd let you borrow a bike.

Virtually everyone on here who is tall has gone 29er and stayed there, with one exception (Clubber who went back to 26") although Ton seem to now have one foot in both camps.

I just feel weird on 26" bikes now.

martinh
    Free Member

Had my Paradox about 6 weeks now and love it. Just wants to be chucked around and off things and yet can still be ridden up hill with ease.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want to give it a try (I'm Swinley way). I have to warn you that mine is built up single speed though.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Martinh, if that is swinley near bracknel then i'd like the opportunity to ride your paradox. I'm Guildford way so its a short drive. When do you normally ride?

martinh
    Free Member

Yes, swinley near bracknell. Drop me an email – address is in my profile

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘hard core 29er anyone?’ is closed to new replies.