Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Happy new frame day to me (aka wanna see me Bird with nothing on?)
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Got myself a new Bird Zero frame. Was very tempted by the 11 speed GX build but managed to control myself. I’ve sized up to a large (I’m 5’8″) for a bit of extra length and have bought a works -1 angleset. Hope it works out how I think it will. I test rode a medium and I’m feeling confident I’ve made the right choice :-). Any other Zero owners out there?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes. Very unsafe bike in my opinion. I keep finding myself riding attempting things I wouldn’t previously have considered due to the overconfidence this bike creates. Like the Nevis Range Orange last week, resulting in a what kneepad thread 😳

Rubber_Buccaneer

and here is the Whippet that will be stripped to get the Bird up and running

Rubber_Buccaneer

resulting in a what kneepad thread

I’m already kneepadded up so no worries for me 🙂 Except, er, I don’t often wear them 🙁

bikeneil
    Free Member

I hope you’ve got a strong spine and no fillings :mrgreen:

singlespeedstu

Beefy. 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Looks great! But you better make sure your pedal technique is super tidy – your BB will be almost on the ground with those forks and wheels…

Rubber_Buccaneer

My pedal technique is middling but the forks will be 150mm pike DPAs and I have some 650b wheels but have to admit I’m going to give 26s a go. The drop isn’t ridiculous so it may work.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Well that’s the Whippet sorted

Rubber_Buccaneer

And my Bird Zero is up and running. Not the most aesthetically pleasing mix of bits you will see on here today I know 🙂 Looking forward to a test ride and praying I like it.

teasel
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, what’s wrong with the Whippet…?

thegreatape
    Free Member

One assumes that photo is just banter.

teasel
    Free Member

Indeed. Just wondered why it got demoted.

taxi25
    Free Member

No reason ever needed. I’d imagine the Op fancied something new.

teasel
    Free Member

Well, yes. Of course.

I was just curious as to why he swapped the parts or stopped using the frame. Can we just let the OP answer, if he should feel so inclined.

🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

The whippet isn’t really going in the bin, just a little joke 🙂

The reason for the change is all because of an ex demo G150 I bought at the start of the year. I thought it would be good for a trip to Spain and stuff like that but expected it to be far too heavy and wallowy for my usual riding. It isn’t and its changed my whole attitude to weight, geometry and having fun when riding. It made me want something different from my hardtail and hopefully the Zero is it.

teasel
    Free Member

The whippet isn’t really going in the bin, just a little joke

No, really. I got that bit. I clearly need to give a less naive impression than I’m giving at present. 🙂

But yeah, I get the whole weight thing. It’s easy to become obsessive about lightweight hardtails when in reality, unless they’re very light (Njee-esque) then a little extra heft isn’t that noticeable in general use. Except the climbs, of course, and even then it’s not a real issue if you’re fit(ish). And a tougher build opens up the trail to different lines, too.

teasel
    Free Member

Nice bike, BTW. Shame about the rear tyre…

bearnecessities

I reckon a pair of skinwalls would nice against that colour – lovely colour ’tis too.

teasel
    Free Member

reckon a pair of skinwalls

You **** ****!

thegreatape
    Free Member

That frame can take quite a battering, even from the heaviest clumsiest riders. According to a mate obviously.

bearnecessities

You **** ****!

Insightful genius? 🙂

Thankfully, I’m old and DGAS enough to just be happy with what I like, and I think I’d like that colour frame with a pair of skinwalls

That said, also like chinos, John Lewis Aspen Curtains and my bike is sat in the spare bog, so my opinion is probably shite in here 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Shame about the rear tyre

Did you clock the white bars…both were bargains from on-one. Less than a tenner for a tyre and I can’t really see it on the back 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Happy new frame day to me (aka wanna see me Bird with nothing on?)’ is closed to new replies.