Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Happy Christmas , – Here's your Redundancy consultation.
  • singletrackmind

Never a good time , but JC a few weeks before xmas isnt the best.
    All done legally and repeated verbatum from the ACAS website.
    Small company with 6 employees ( 5 full time ) . Probably over staffed by 40 man hours a week at current work load , which can change daily.

Its a new manager who has engineered this but the stated saving on wages would have to average 33% from all staff , or 1 full time reduction and a further 20% ish .. Not acheivable as 2 refuse any sort of pay cut , 1 would work reduced hours and 1 go self employed / ad hoc.

Me. i would have gone 4 days week and a small wage decrease, but funding other employees is not the way forward. Problem is my 10 weeks of holiday accrued at full wages , New holiday year starts 1st Jan, plus 14years of service. Stat minimum applies to us, so a lump of approx 6mth take home pay is on the cards.

We were threatened with quick closure and into administration if no resolution was forthcoming so I had to make a very difficult deciision and volunteered for redundancy now. Only way to ensure 10 weeks of holiday is paid , and avoid becoming an ordinary creditor waiting a year for 3p in the pound or whatever is left after the administrators do their ‘ partner investigations at £250per hr ‘.

Have offered to do part time on a self employed basis if they take my recomended route out of the hole , which is doubtful based on past performance.
    Hey ho. stuff happens.

cinnamon_girl

Oh bugger stm, that’s rubbish. 🙁

edlong
    Free Member

Bugger.

Hopefully this will be one of those things you look back at in the long run as being for the best, as these things often are.

stumpy01

Oh no.
    I got made redundant about 5 years ago and that was just before Christmas too.

Best of luck to you…

nonk
    Free Member

Never lost a job without it leading to something better mate keep yons chin up lad

takisawa2

They announced the closure of our old site, & 180 redundancies, the week before Xmas a few years ago.
    Terrible way to treat people.

jamj1974

That’s not good OP. It’s happened to me in the past and I can honestly say its a massive kick in the nuts. Best of luck.

bigblackshed

Happened to me in 2007 & 2008. First one was 90 days consultation and then redundancies in dribs and drabs. I walked into another job with 6 months pay. The second one was completely out of the blue. Not a lot out there in 2008. Was very shit for a while. Then I got lucky and found a good job.

At least there’s a bit out there ATM. Chin up lad.

shermer75
    Free Member

As above, scary times but will most likely lead to a better job!!!

allthepies
    Free Member

We start one on Monday 😯

TimP
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear that STM. Hope it works out ok

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nonk +1
    I’ve had the same thing two years running, redundant at Christmas, but each time things have improved. That said, I’m hoping to avoid three in a row!
    Good luck STM 🙂

nbt

Oh bugger. Horrible thing to happen, I’ve only been through it once and the consultation ended – so I got the official notification – on my birthday. Not a great time. As with others above though, in hindsight it was one of the best things that’s happened, I got a good payout and had a job sorted two weeks after it was confirmed, EIGHT weeks before I actually finished. As well as all the above, remember they have obligations to allow you reasonable time of to go job hunting, attending interviews and so on. Best of luck, and do drop in if you decide to take a break and go on a uk tour again 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Good luck fellah

ourmaninthenorth

Bad news at black rock.

However I applaud your level-headedness and am sure you’ll make the best of the situation. Good luck.

singletrackmind

Annoying thing is the deliberate effort in not making it work. We are not busy . Why not? Because new manager has decided seasonal goods are not the way forward . Ok, Lets see how Tesco get on not stocking Turkeys , Or B & Q not selling Christmas tree lights.
    Its maybe 25% of our usual turnover through Nov / December and we are getting almost hourly enquiries for stock we simply dont have.

Thanks for all your support , there are probably hundreds on here who know me through the BBB , Sexy Swinley Time meets and various riding groups.

I am in the fortunate position to be single , mtg free and have cash in the bank. My monthly expenditure is low but I do still need to earn something, cant retire at 45.

Hoping to find out more in a minute when I go in as the MD was in fri afto.

allthepies
    Free Member

A few brewery jobs going on the Siba classifieds, but not much

http://siba.co.uk/classifieds/browse-categories/?category_id=6/positions-vacant/

One in the Lakes if you fancy a big relocate!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s the new manager who needs to go

muddy@rseguy

Sounds like your company has been circling the plug hole for more than a while now STM.

I know it sounds a bit flippant but Chin up, it may be for the best and a man of your talents should be ok in the long run.

Ever thought of starting up on your own (or with some of your colleagues) in the same business? That’s a tough route ( I know from personal experience) but far more rewarding than working for numpties and you get to learn from all of their mistakes and use the knowledge you have gained over the years to try and do things better.

Del

redundancy sucks. i went through it a couple of years ago. was very fortunate with holidays accrued, and because they swept in one day and said ‘out’, and came up with a ‘double your money if you don’t sue us’ payment, it all softened the blow. i was very disappointed though.
    worked for myself for a while, made some good contacts, now back at the same job, same company, good pay rise.
    it sounds trite but things can and do work out, often for the better, to echo others above.
    relax over xmas and get back on it in the new year.
    best of luck.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your news STM. It never fails to amaze me how inept management can be, it’s like the higher the management post, the less able the individual is to make the right decisions about business (no seasonal stock?!) and also be able to treat their employees appropriately. Good luck for the next few weeks, and with finding a better job. Have not been made redundant, but I did leave a hideous job once with no replacement lined up, which very positive things have come from.

project
    Free Member

Best wishes in getting a better job, singletrackmind, usually redundancies at xmas so it falls in before end of financial year eg 90 days consultation etc.

also what work do you do /did there.

duckers
    Free Member

Any posts like this and the OP should include what they do/did and the location they are looking to work in, see if anyone can help out. We should have an STW jobs board!

cinnamon_girl

Just a thought stm – could GR not be approached, he certainly has the contacts and expertise? Or perhaps there was never any follow-up from what he did?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Happy Christmas , – Here's your Redundancy consultation.’ is closed to new replies.