Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hans Dampf up front, but what to pair up with on the rear???
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’m currently running a Hans Dampf Trailstar 27.5 x 2.35 up front and a Rock Razor 27.5 x 2.35 on the rear (can’t remember the compound).

While I love the Rock Razor in the dry, I find it to be pretty skittish in the wet.

What would be a good replacement to suit our soggy UK spring/summer weather?

I’ve considered the Nobby Nic, or even another Hans Dampf, but this time in the Pacestar compound for better rolling resistance/wear. I’ve also been recommended the Racing Ralph by some, but I think I’ll find it too similar to the Rock Razor in the wet. What are your thoughts?

transporter13
    Free Member

Personally id leave the razor on the rear…or put the hans dampf on the rear and put a decent tyre on the front like a magic mary

ads678

I have a HD up front and NN at the back on my Meta AM and they worked really well in the peaks a couple of weeks ago. Lots of wet rocks.

Never used that combo before but thought it worked well.

mjsmke

I also use a NN on the rear with a HD on the front. A bit draggy in very dry conditions but grip well on a mixture of surfaces.

blairc70
    Free Member

+1 for 2.25 nobby on back, until we get a dry spell, have ordered a minion SS to try for then.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

WTB Vigilante rear fast rolling version. Magic Mary up front.
    Both tubeless.
    Good for Inverness local trails. Mixed, some real muddy bits, dry forest floor, roots and loose.
    WTB easy to set up tubeless good tyre reasonably priced. MM more difficult.
    If summer arrives. Will replace MM with WTB Vigilante soft compound.
    In my opinion the WTB are great against punctures.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’m running a HD at the front and a NN at the back on my xc bike, they seem to work well for me.

Northwind

I’m thinking of trying the new NN, apparently this one’s actually good. But I’m resisting, because of the 2 other times I’ve bought the latest NN because apparently it’s actually good, and it’s turned out to be total pish.

DHR2 is excellent, but not fast…

mildbore

Hmm, I’ve been running a NN 2.35 in pacestar on the rear through the winter paired with a HD front after finding my previous fave high rollers sketchy as hell on Snowdon Ranger in the wet last October. The HD has been great despite the haters on here but the NN is a bit prone to getting sideways in the wet, hasn’t worn well and now has developed little leaky holes all round where sealant seeps out, not on the sidewalls but between the nobs. I’ll be getting a minion soon for the rear

mrlebowski
    Free Member

HD & RR F & R respectively for me.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

NN are very good but if your riding rocky stuff get the double defense version.
    the snakeskin casing is fine around the side walls but I put 3 holes in mine around the tread before swapping it out

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Magic Mary up front with a rock razor on the rear. Otherwise I’m partial to a hans dampf on the rear and magic Mary up front in the winter. The Doris runs a nobby nic (latest version in 2.25 pace star) on the rear and hans dampf up front, and swears by the combo. What has made both our wheelsets turn into grip monsters is moving over to Ibis 741 rims as the extra width really makes the most of these tyres.

mattyfez

Maybe a rocket ron on the back? Probably half way between a nic and a ralph..

nuke

I run HDs on both my bikes twinned with Smorgasbords on the rear, all tubeless

jimwah
    Free Member

I was running 2x Rocket Ron but finding the rear wasn’t digging in too well on the choddy bridleways I ride – since there’s still no sign of summer turning up properly, I got a cheap wired Nobby Nic 2.25 for £12 on CRC a few weeks ago and it’s much better in the loose stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hans Dampf up front, but what to pair up with on the rear???’ is closed to new replies.