Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hans Dampf Super gravity Trail or Pace star
  • russyh
    Free Member

So, i know there have been hundreds of threads over the years about trail and pace star compounds. But i’m looking for peoples experiences of a particular tyre for a rear.

So, I’m going to buy a super gravy Hans dampf for the rear ahead of Ardrock. However is a trail star going to make an already draggy tyre even draggier and as such should i forgo a little grip and go pacestar….? I have a Rock Razor for super dry conditions…

So whats the consensus, back tyres are diving me to absolute despair lately.

bedfordrd

I thought SG models were either Trailstar, or Vertstar? Pacestar being limited to the EVO SnakeSkin versions?

chakaping
    Free Member

I have ridden the SG trailstar HD extensively and don’t find it painfully draggy at all, though compared to a Rock Razor it’s slower obvs.

Only ridden the Pacestar in snakeskin 29er form – it was surprisingly fast though.

bedfordrd

BTW – Ran a Pacestar Evo S/S Rock Razor at the Ard Rock last year – it was fine: plenty of grip. But it was also dry – would be different in the wet!

chakaping
    Free Member

WTB fast/tough Trail Boss might be a viable alternative?

jamesoz

Weight would put me off the Wtb Trail boss tough.
    I used a Damp hands super gravy trail star at the ard rock in practice. It was fine if a little sketchy on off camber grass (small side knobs).
    I gambled on rain and swapped to a shorty on the back, draggy stupid mistake that I cursed all the way round until I put a hole in it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Gotta be SG Rock Razor rear

cookci
    Free Member

I tried hd trail star on rear for 6 months and started to dislike the bike because of it.
    Recently just swapped to rear nobby pacestar and its a different beast, much more lively, faster and have the ability to flick the backend out again.

russyh
    Free Member

Thing is cookci I should imagine the Ardrock terrain is going to demolish a snakeskin nn

In the end I have ordered a supergrav trail star dampf, I have a rock razor super gravity already so have, I guess somewhere near the right thing….will bring my airshot so I can change the morning of the race if needs be! No doubt it will make little difference and I will drag the bloody draggy things all the way around for them to fail spectacularly on the last stage

jamj1974

I find the grip on a HD Trailstar is great in anything but thick gloop. It rolls well too in my experience. I would go for that rather than Pacestar.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’ve got Trailstar F&R on my bouncer….only issue is that the rear tread is getting shredded a bit sooner than expected. I might replace it with a Pacestar, as I don’t think the potential loss of grip will be an issue. Overall I’m very pleased with having the same F&R (I have the same tyres on a hardtail too).

vincienup
    Free Member

Trailstar at the back is extra drag for marginal gain IMO.

Trailstar front, Pacestar back is standard for a reason.

FWIW, I’ve done Ardrock a couple of times on Snakeskin Evo Dampfs with no punctures. I only flatted the year I was using tubes because of rims that wouldn’t tubeless easily. Bear in mind the extra weight of the SG casing over the snakeskin evo is probably as significant as the additional drag of a TS rear.

That said, I’m running the WTB ‘Tough’ casing which is the same idea as SG on almost everything as standard right now – Vigilante Tough/High Grip and Trailboss Tough/Fast, so I shouldn’t really be talking about heavy tyres… 😀

riklegge

I used vertstar magic Mary’s front and rear for Ard rock the other year… now that was draggy!

Kahurangi

I used vertstar magic Mary’s front and rear for Ard rock the other year… now that was draggy!

Yeah, but you could have ridden directly up the cliff-edge of Fremington Edge 😆

Sui
    Free Member

This is a general moan about HD’s. They are pooh. The sidewalls even on the snakeskin are as much use against sharp stuff as a used jonny. They also continually “bleed” spunk through said sidewalls. The beading is awful, as i’ve now seen a few split on the bead (mine included last weekend) making them only suitable for tubes. And the grip… well its a case of slip slip slip grip, vs Maxxis which is grip grip grip slip..and they are draggy as heal and no good in the wet.

go by some Maxxis HRII and DHRII

russyh
    Free Member

So I purchased a HD super gravity. Which I could only get in trail star in the end. Will use it if it’s mildly moist and RR otherwise.

Kept away from Maxxis as uk stock seem all over the place and I have very little experience of thei DD casing. I have seen countless exo tyres destroyed in the last 6 months so stayed away.

JackHammer

I have a HD in 650B x 2.35″ medium compound (so trailstar I guess?). They’re heavier than the “normal” ones at nearly kg, they’re nice and supportive for low pressure tubeless. Took a bit of persuasion to get to go up tubeless with a track pump.

I have a vertstar magic mary up front so I’d imagine that’s more draggy than the HD.

andybrad

used HD trailstar and pacestar back to back on the same bike and trails in the same day.

Your right to go with trailstar.

an alternative is (what i had up to recently) a trailstar nobby nic which is slightly faster and a bit more “fun” (just slashed it the other night and will be replacing it with a HD trailstar

Pacestar is crap even as a rear tire.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hans Dampf Super gravity Trail or Pace star’ is closed to new replies.