Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hans dampf -super gravity or not for the alps on my meta am with flow-ex?
  • jsm

Anyone got any hans dampfs? I’m thinking about going tubeless with them for an all mountain/freeride alps trip. I guess my options are super gravity version or normal, anyone got any experience of one over the other? the normal are still dual ply.

I was thinking of vertstar front, trailstar rear, to keep down rolling resistance and wear.

maxtorque

I’d like to say “yes”, but the day after i got my tyres, i also got a less welcome break………..

😉

dantsw13

Oh no!! Bad luck MT 😥

One of my mates runs HD tubeless all year on his Nukeproof, including Alps duties and is very happy with them. I’ve just set up my Heckler for the Alps (1×9, 160 Marz55’s) and I’ve gone for the On-One Chunky Monkey/smorgasbord combo set up tubeless and I love them. I did the Ed Oxley Alp Prep course in Hebden Bridge with them, and they were just right. The fact that Ed had the same combo on his Prototype El Guapo 29er suggested I was on the right track.

rondo101
    Free Member

I ran Fat Alberts (non-suer gravity variety) tubeless for 2 weeks last year in Les Arcs with no problems, other than that they were ready for the bin when I got home. I’ll be running HDs this year as that’s what they were replaced with.
    But then Les Arcs is more “AM” than “DH” IMO & if you’re going more gnar you might want the added protection of the super-gravity carcass.

jsm

what versions of the compound?

100mphplus
    Free Member

Been running HD trail star Fr & Rr tubeless on my Flow rims for over a year now and they have been ace.
    Wear on rear hasn’t been that bad, I raced every UKGE, took the bike to Whistler for 2 weeks and did numerous UK trail centres on one rear, front still had plenty of life in it but change the rear in March for the first of this years UKGE races.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Vert star compound probably a bit overkill for AM and would be V draggy.

lucien

Maxtorque – great pic for a caption competition

jsm

@100mphplus was that the normal or super gravity version?

maxtorque

lucien
    Maxtorque – great pic for a caption competition

And also a “spot the total idiot” competition…. 😉

rondo101
    Free Member

what versions of the compound?

Trailstar/Pacestar (softest on the front, whichever way round that is) on both Fat Alberts & now for the HDs.

chris_db
    Free Member

I run HD’s in the Pacestar compound F&R on my Nerve (Flow rims) and I am very happy with them. I did have a trailstar version but found it too soft and ended up with knob damage…. 🙄 ..prematurely…. 🙄 ….

legend
    Free Member

You’re not alone, I’ve made many instances of premature knob failure with Schwalbe Trailstar tyres. Trailstar seems to tear, whereas Vertstar wears down, how does Pacestar do in comparison?

(My experience is based on Muddy Marys and Big Bettys on the DH bike)

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Trailstar front, Pacestar rear here. I really rate them for everything other than thick mud.

Wear has been ok so far, they seem to be holding up better than my old nobby nics.

Run them tubeless at around 25psi on Crossmax SX wheels.

100mphplus
    Free Member

“100mphplus was that the normal or super gravity version?”

Must be ‘Gravity’ since I’ve only just found out about ‘Super Gravity’ 5 mins ago after googling it. 😆
    Bought them early last year when they first came out for general sale in Germany which was about 2 months before they were available here.

chris_db
    Free Member

You’re not alone, I’ve made many instances of premature knob failure with Schwalbe Trailstar tyres. Trailstar seems to tear, whereas Vertstar wears down, how does Pacestar do in comparison?

So far all that’s worn off are the stipples – wear rate seems really good and I haven’t had any similar damage as the trailstar compound. I do a fair few miles so I’m very pleased with them, best tyres I’ve used in 20 years…

C

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hans dampf -super gravity or not for the alps on my meta am with flow-ex?’ is closed to new replies.