Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hans dampf question for a daft sod
  • dubber71
    Free Member

Just received my hans dampf tyre and I couldn’t see a rotational symbol, I’ve put it on now anyway, but is there a way it should have gone?
    Cheers Paul
    It’s the 27.5 Evo one

honourablegeorge

Knobbly bits on the outside, other than that you’re good.

Northwind

You can reverse them once the edges get worn on the knobbles too.

everyone
    Free Member

Talking of knobbly bits on the outside was it on here the I saw someone managed to mount a gatorskin inside out then proceeded to complain it was wearing weirdly?

kerley
    Free Member

Is that possible. There would be no bead to seat on the rim?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you look at the tread you will see its symmetrical, so whichever way you mount it it will be the same. So no need to have a direction symbol.

Kahurangi

^ this guy actually looks at this tyres rather than just following instructions.

Doesn’t really matter anyway, you’ll have taken them off and put them in a bin after a month when you rip the shoulders off.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Jon Taylor, if that was aimed at me, yes I do. I even dare to fit tyres rotating the wrong way if I think they might be better that way.

Oddly my hans still have their shoulders on them after a years abuse.

alialiali
    Free Member
    Kahurangi

Jon Taylor, if that was aimed at me, yes I do. I even dare to fit tyres rotating the wrong way if I think they might be better that way.

Oddly my hans still have their shoulders on them after a years abuse.

I bet you’d even fit a “front” tyre to the back wouldn’t you! Scoundrel!

My Mrs destroyed a HD on the rear after a couple of weeks. Trailstar, I think.

wallop

Doesn’t the trailstar go on the front? It’s grippier than pace star so I would assume it’s softer.

mboy
    Free Member

Doesn’t really matter anyway, you’ll have taken them off and put them in a bin after a month when you rip the shoulders off.

Spent today at BPW, only the 6th ride on my Hans Dampf Trailstar fitted to the front of my new bike…

Many of the side knobs are 3/4 of the way to coming off already!!! After bad experiences with Nobby Nic’s it’s taken me 3 years to try out another Schwalbe MTB tyre (I love their road tyres coincidentally) and this happens!!! 😕

bigyinn
    Free Member

Soft on the front, otherwise you’ll rip it’s knobs off on the back.

Kahurangi

Yeah I don’t have the Schwalbe nomenclature memorised (Vertstar, SuperGravity, Trailstar, Pacestar, whetever) but it’s the medium compound one.

Can’t remember now and it’s gone back to Wiggle.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Having done four enduros this year and various trips to stainburn and out three times a week on my usual trails with a HD trailstar on the back and Magic mary gravity on the front I still have all the side knobs, does that mean im riding like a pussy or just lucky (actually don’t answer that).

Steve77
    Free Member

Wait, you can wear tyres out and then just send them back to Wiggle? Did they refund you?

Kahurangi

Wait, you can wear tyres out and then just send them back to Wiggle? Did they refund you?

It’s not worn out, it’s not fit for purpose. If a 50 kg rider tears it apart in a week riding it has failed.

hora
    Free Member

Whats the difference between trail and pacestars? Which one rolls lighter/better?

mjsmke

Trailstar are softer so more grip but more resistance and wear faster.

I run a trailstar Hans Dampf up front and a pacestar Nobby Nic on the back.

gelert
    Free Member

OP: Hans Dampf have a reversible tread pattern. Just make sure you line up the tyre logos with your rim logos and you’ll be fine 😉

I’m about 75kg kitted up.

My preference is HD TrailStar SS on the front now. I destroyed a HD TrailStar on the rear in 400 winter miles. The front one from my winter wheels is still fine and about to be abused at Antur Stiniog for the 2nd time. It was Antur that killed off the rear HD back in February.

On my summer wheels I’ve put a HD TS SS on the front and a Minion DHR II EXO TR 60/62 on the rear this time. Surprisingly by 150 miles the Hans Damp on the front had the beginnings of side knob rips but they haven’t gone much worse now they’ve done 250 miles and a race.

I haven’t found a better front tyre yet though than the HD. It grips really well in all conditions for me. I used to run High Roller II EXO TR on the front and that was very good until it got icy. No tyre is great on ice but the Hans Dampf was better than the HR II.

At the medium / soft end of the compounds I’ve seen the TrailStar and Maxxis 3C tyres tear up really bad. It’s just the nature of the beast when you want the best grip and confidence to go faster they’ll wear out quicker.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

trailstars do wear quickly on the back. got one i fit for events if it’s going to be rocky / rooty terrain. after using in on less than 15 rides its not wearing well. not lost any of the shoulder lugs yet, but they are half way off. use a pace star for day to day riding and they hold up fine. would only use trail star on the front other wise it could be very expensive

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Here’s my rear Pacestar when I finally decided it was worn out.
    Side knobs hanging on in there pretty well – non torn off, just worn to undercut!

Have heard a few reports of them shedding knobs so I’ll be watching my new ones though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im guessing skidding probably rips the knobs off, rather than riding.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mine are just about OK after about 2k miles of bimbling around the Ridgeway. Just starting to see sidewall damage from flints but I’ll definitely replace with the same.

honourablegeorge

Jon Taylor – Member
    ^ this guy actually looks at this tyres rather than just following instructions.

Schwalbe USA did a Q&A on Pinkbike lately – they confirmed there was a bad batch of tyres where knobs weren’t as durable as they should have been – it’s a warranty issue, they’ll replace the tyre.

I’ve had zero issues with mine – admittedly not in a massively rocky area.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hans dampf question for a daft sod’ is closed to new replies.