Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hans Dampf compunds?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Looking to buy a Hans Dampf for Calderdale and similar riding, and there’s at least two versions available from Wiggle:
    Evo Snakeskin and Performance Dual Compound

I’m not tubeless, and it’s for the front of my Blue Pig on Pike Mk1’s.

Which should I get?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Not performance.
    You need snakeskin protection on the front.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well I find the pretty shit full stop.

But you don’t want the performance ones. Normaly trailstar front pacestar back.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mjsmke

They also do Trailstar and Pacestar compounds. Trailstar is softer and faster wearing but more grip. Pacestar is harder and slower wearing.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well I find the[m] pretty shit full stop.

Is there no gorram consensus on tyres anywhere then? Arrrgh!

drovercycles
    Free Member

Schwalbe generally, where they do two versions of their tyres, combine all of the high-end options in one tyre and all of the budget options in the other tyre,

So it is here – the Evolution model has a better carcass, better puncture protection, and grippier compound, whereas the Performance version has the inferior options in each category.

The Performance tyres are often what is supplied as OE and are OK as a basic tyre but the Evolution are much better in several ways – grippier, tougher sidewalls, more puncture-resistant, lighter….

If you can go for the Evo version, I would certainly recommend you do.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The above sounds likely 🙂 The difference is price is huge!

I was thinking of buying from you, seeing as you took the time to type that, but I can’t see you stock ’em?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    Well I find the[m] pretty shit full stop.
    Is there no gorram consensus on tyres anywhere then? Arrrgh!

Tyres are a very personal thing and dependent on a whole range of factors such as riding style, trail conditions and terrain. The best thing to do is to use a range of tyres on various trails you know well in a variety of conditions, after a while you will work out what works for you depending on circumstances.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

use a range of tyres on various trails

Would love to. At £50 a pop it’s not gonna happen any time soon!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Get them from Germany – they work out about £30 or so a pop for the Evo ones with a proper compound.

Personally, I’m a big fan of the Hans Dampf although I now run a Magic Mary on the front. They seemed to wear pretty well, but did get a bit squirmy as the nobs started to tear a bit. I neve lost any but you could see the tears. I’m not mega hard on tyres but have never had issues with punctures.

smatkins1
    Free Member

As above avoid the cheaper performance ones unless you’re just looking for a cheap tyre that says Schwable on it.

Pace star rear and softer trail star on the front is commonly recommended and is what I’ve been running recently… but the knobbles tear off quite easily on the trail star ones.

So I’d be inclined to suggest sticking to pace star front and back unless you’re looking for more front end grip

mindmap3
    Free Member

use a range of tyres on various trails

I’m the same – I tend to find a tyre set up that works in most conditions and stick with it. I’m too tight to risk spending money on tyres that I may not like. I’m also to lazy to swap them over lots (uplift days are the exception).

creamegg
    Free Member

Only £27 for the Trailstar or Vert Star in Super Gravity carcass from ze Germans recently

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hans Dampf compunds?’ is closed to new replies.