Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hans Dampf – 2 for 60Euro – Good Deal?
  • SandCrab

Hi,

Winter has finally arrived in the Netherlands and i am looking to swap out the Crossmarks on my full sus before i die. I had a look on bike discount.de and found this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html?mfid=78

Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar/TrailStar Set at 60 Euros (+ 5 for delivery). Having read the reviews on the web and in this months mag, it seems like a cracking deal.

Am i missing somthing? Is it a cheaper compound version or something similar?

Or should i stop being a tart’s hand bag and just buy them?!

Cheers

Chris

patriotpro
    Free Member

That’s proper cheap – They are the ‘dearer’ versions.
    So stop being a tart’s handbag, etc….

chakaping
    Free Member

Slight hijack – how do the carcasses compare to Maxxis std 1ply/EXO for toughness?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I bought this deal (Pacestar) for my XC/AM trip to Liguria. Delivery was prompt. The puncture protection seems to work, they also seem to roll quite well and brake well. Fast cornering is not entirely to my taste (a bit too like Kenda Nevegals IMO), but I can live with it. They are coming off to put my single-ply Maxxis combo back on for UK riding. I’ll keep them by, for Spain next year.

chojin
    Free Member

Buzz-lightyear: what maxxis combo do you use?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

On the FS bike, I normally use a 2.35 High Roller single ply Maxxpro at 30 psi up front, and a 2.35 Ardent single ply Maxxpro at 35 psi out back.

The Ardent is not all that suitable for local muddy trails but then I tend to ride my HT.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

how do the carcasses compare to Maxxis std 1ply/EXO for toughness

Did a bit of tyre swapping this weekend, and these were on my my try list.

Borrowed off a mate who couldn’t get on with them, said he had never had so many puctures as he has with these. He didn’t rate them overly in general either. He’s gone back to a Baron F&R instead. Slower rolling but much, much grippier & no punctures.

GaryLake
    Free Member

They have Schwalbe’s snake skin and they are far from paper thin feeling. The top guys doing the UK gravity enduro that have been running them have said they’re looking pretty cut up (but crucially still alive) after a whole season so I’d say for mortals, they’re tough enough I reckon…

iain1775
    Free Member

Ordered these last Tuesday arrived Thursday rode yesterday excellent tyres all round and very easy to set up tubeless
    Half the UK price, proper bargain

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers hobnob.

Need something tough-ish but fast rolling for a short travel bike, probably running tubeless on UST rims.

MK2s great but a bit flimsy and the UST doesn’t come with the nice compound.

Minions not available in folding ST or 3c 2.35in size now.

Hans Dampfs don;t sound so promising now.

Specialized Butcher Control looks promising, but nobody has got them yet to ask.

Hmmm.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t want to give the impression of slagging the Damp Hands, they worked well on the rocky stuff over there. But my usual “sling the bike sideways” style of cornering that works with HRs backfired. Once I adopted a more subtle approach they were OK.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Butcher controls look like they might be worth a punt to me.

I have a set of Eskar/Purg for local use that doesn’t require much tread or a huge amount of puncture protection (we don’t have rocks!) & they are great.

I use a set of EXO Minions (2.5) for stuff involving rocks and these Gravity Enduro’s, as I struggle to find an all round tyre that’s better.

chakaping
    Free Member

I use a set of EXO Minions (2.5) for stuff involving rocks and these Gravity Enduro’s, as I struggle to find an all round tyre that’s better.

Yes, I have them on my 160mm bike.

MK2s are perfect for my local un-rocky stuff (and not bad in the Lakes/Wales either until you puncture) – maybe I’ll try them tubeless but at 600g they don’t inspire confidence. If only Conti made them with their tread pattern/black chili compound – and the Maxxis Exo carcass.

Very tempted to try the Spesh Butcher, but have a nagging doubt I’d end up wishing I’d stuck with Maxxis.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hans Dampfs don;t sound so promising now.

The GE series was won on Hans Dampfs… yes probably the rider not the tyre etc but if they can’t be terrible!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Stuck a set of these exact ones on recently, they’re very decent and have survived a couple of uplift days as I’m too lazy to swap them over for my usual baron DH tires. Roll well enough for general trail riding too.

rhysw
    Free Member

These tyres are awesum. I use them on my Spec Enduro to ride our local Dh style tracks here in South Wales and I can’t fault them. Our rides include some steep climbs a swell and I find the tyre rolls fine and its really good at cornering on wet roots/mud etc.
    I got mine from bike-discount for 60€ posted and I’ll be buying more when there knackered

warpcow
    Free Member

They seem to be flavour of the month among everyone local to me. Not heard anything bad about them. I personally use Wicked Wills just now (will probably go to HD when they wear out), with the same Snakeskin, Trailstar, etc, and they been excellent. Where I ride I can go through a standard tyre sidewall in a couple of months but the Schwalbes aren’t showing much sign of wear since I put them on last winter. It’s nice to have a tyre where the tread goes first instead of the sidewall.

Not sure how the Pacestar is on HDs, but on WWs it’s like soap on wet rock and roots. So much so that I wouldn’t consider using it on the rear.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I normally stick to ust specific tyres. What are these like tubeless?

h4muf
    Free Member

My set came this morning,one went up first time on my flows.Can’t inflate the other one on my 719 with a track pump.All tubeless.

44 mile ride later and the best tyres i have ever used. That much confidence in them it’s unreal!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Are they that good? I’m currently running captains which can be a bit sketchy in the mud, and contemplating these at that price but not sure!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Are they that good? I’m currently running captains which can be a bit sketchy in the mud, and contemplating these at that price but not sure!

chris_db
    Free Member

I have HDs on both my Nerve AM and Blue Pig – running tubeless. Brilliant tyres, do most things well. The 60 euro price tag is a steal, in fact I have ordered a pair just to keep in the cupboard…!

100mphplus
    Free Member

The advert says that you get 1 x Trailstar (for Fr) and 1 x pacestar (for back) compound, is this correct all those who have purchased?

jonke
    Free Member

thats what i received – 1 TS and 1 PS.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hans Dampf – 2 for 60Euro – Good Deal?’ is closed to new replies.