Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hans Dampf
  • joeelston
    Free Member

Hello.

I have recently a set of Flow Ex rims secondhand which came with a Hans Damp Trailstar front and Nobby Nic 2.35 pacestar evo rear.

The Hans Dampf is amazing grip but seems just a bit too much hard work on the climbs.

My riding is mainly the 7 stanes esp Glentress. But also local bridleways etc.

Would a pacestar Hans Dampf speed things up on the front?

Is the tyre combo possibly overkill for my riding/time of year?

Ta

alpin
    Free Member

trailstar front, pacemaker rear, surely?

softer rubber up front where the grip is needed.

winch
    Free Member

What makes you think its the Hans on the front making it hard work? Usually the rear is the cause of most of the rolling resistance, since it carries the majority of the weight.

For me I think the HD makes a great front tyre, yep it’s a bit draggy but on the front not that noticeable. Can’t comment on your rear NN tho.

joeelston
    Free Member

Wondering if anyone had tried the two different types of Hans Dampf on the front and could actually notice a difference. The Schwalbe website rates them equally, however I take that with a pinch of salt.

joeelston
    Free Member

Fair point Winch.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

More likely to be the rims – they are fairly heavy duty……

joeelston
    Free Member

They are surprisingly light. Maybe the Bfe frame, pike coil forks and reverb don’t help!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Don’t find mine too draggy but thinking of re-evaluating my use of them.

I don’t like changing tyres and was hoping the HDs would be a do-it-all tyre, trouble is it felt a little out-gunned in the Alps, while it didn’t puncture all the rocks the size of baby-heads rolling around out there meant I felt could use something with a bigger carcass. Yet on UK trail centres the HD is arguably overkill..

So perhaps a set of dual ply maxxis for the Alps and something smaller/lighter/faster for the UK?

matther01
    Free Member

Ran both compounds on the front but different bikes…so not sure how valid my statement will be.

The pacestar wasnt as good on wet roots and traction in corners IMO

joeelston
    Free Member

I have a Racing Ralph somewhere in the garage so I’m going to stick that on the rear for Glentress tomorrow and see what happens. I haven’t yet rode in the wet on this bike. Thanks for the replies.

mactheknife

I have run both Pacestar and Trailstar on the front of my 5 spot with a Smorgasbord on the rear.

I found absolutely no noticeable difference to and rolling resistance when i changed them over.
    But the trailstar has amazing grip, not that the pacestar was a slouch.

I run mine at 30psi and use them from everything from bimbles round the woods to big mountain days.

i love them TBH.

boxfish
    Free Member

Have just put a pair of Trailstars on my hardtail. Off to Wales for 4 days on Friday. Weather permitting, I’ll be testing the HDs on Snowdon. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hans Dampf’ is closed to new replies.