Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hannibal's war elephants (bike sponsorship content)
  • camo16
    Free Member

Hannibal, as we all know, took loads of war elephants on his epic journey from Spain across Pyrenees and Alps. He did it because: (a) it was clever, (b) he was a surrealistic genius and (3) mountain bikes hadn’t been invented.

But suppose Hannibal had the modern range of MTBs at his command…what brand would he go for? Obviously, his fleet would have to be strong, light (but not light enough that you couldn’t lob a couple of spears on the back) and silent (can’t let the Romans know you’re coming).

My first thought was Commencal – Pyrenees pedigree personified. On the other hand, Hannibal obviously couldn’t risk his top tube cracking during the Battle of Trebia…

So, perhaps a fleet of Lapierre Zestys or Orange Fives…

Oh sweet Jesus I’m so bored. 😳

camo16
    Free Member

Oh well, can someone at least recommend me a lawn mower?

druidh
    Free Member

The modern equivalent would surely be a Surly Pugsley?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbnZNJptWEQ[/video]

IdleJon

You are forgetting the essential trivia fact – the elephants that Hannibal took were apparently North African ones which are now extinct, but were smaller and more amenable than ‘modern’ African elephants.

So maybe he’d do it on a BMX from the smaller POV, or more probably proper original Raleigh Choppers, combining smallness, extinctness, and somewhere to store a spear or two. (Under the saddle!)

thomthumb
    Free Member

rode in southern spain in 08. he came through here apparently

roman road – puncture by thom1984, on Flickr

unfortunatley no riding photos but i was on an inbred.

EDIT: checked that and don’t think he was anywhere near.

grum
    Free Member

This was reputedly the pass where he crossed the Pyrenees between France and Spain

Pyrenees Road Trip-14 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

I walked it – it would involve a fair bit of carrying but some cracking technical singletrack descending into Bagneres De Luchon. 🙂

I reckon you’d want full suss, but as lightweight as possible – carbon Trek Remedy?

IdleJon

I walked it – it would involve a fair bit of carrying but some cracking technical singletrack descending into Bagneres De Luchon.

Do elephants like singletrack? (The type of trail not the mag?)

Edukator
    Free Member

Hannibal followed the Med coast (edit: past the Pyrenees), Grum.

Second edit:as WIki confirms

grum
    Free Member

Do elephants like singletrack?

Yeah, they just need a bike with really huge wheels.

Yup, that makes a lot more sense. I did read it somewhere though, but it sounded like a very wooly claim.

IdleJon

grum – Member

Yup, that makes a lot more sense. I did read it somewhere though, but it sounded like a very wooly claim.

It does make more sense but the reason he is supposed to have gone over the Alps was to avoid the hostile tribes who lived on the coast…..

camo16
    Free Member

It does make more sense but the reason he is supposed to have gone over the Alps was to avoid the hostile tribes who lived on the coast…..

Good point and one, I feel, that sadly discounts the usage of a BMX or Raleigh Chopper as Hannibal’s ride of choice.

I like the carbon Trek Remedy idea. Light, durable, dependable – but it’s hard to know where he could store his spears…

IdleJon

camo16 – Member

Good point and one, I feel, that sadly discounts the usage of a BMX or Raleigh Chopper as Hannibal’s ride of choice.

Just to return to this (if anyone is still reading this 🙄 😀 ) the Romans would have expected the Carthaginians to arrive by the most obvious route – the one along the Med. So iirc that was the reason he headed inland in the first place. My post about hostile tribes was probably a vague recollection of where the Romans were…

Also, iirc, there were rumours a while back that elephant skeletons had been dug up in the Alps at one time, but I can’t remember if these were confirmed or not.

Drac

Do elephants like singletrack?

Yeah they subscribe.

Drac

Oh and he also used them to fight off Nazis.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCLGia4ycPM[/video]

nuke

Apparently elephants are scared of two things: pigs and fire. So the Romans poured oil on some pigs, set them alight and drove them towards the elephants which promptly bolted from the burning squealing piggies.

…as per Horrid History this morning 😀

camo16
    Free Member

Oh and he also used them to fight off Nazis.

Yeah, but a posse of chavs riding Apollo Slants would have done the job just as well…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

flying elephants would be the way to go imho

of course, the obvious weakness here is..

camo16
    Free Member

What’s the fuel economy like on one of those – the elephant, not the pig?

** realises flying elephants might enable attendance at Phil’s super-sexual Swinley event after all – and sniggers **

Edukator
    Free Member

He fought off the local tribes on the way up the coast past the Pyrenees but met Roman units at Avignon. The coast is neither the shortest nor the easiest route from Avignon to Turin. Trade routes over the Alps were already in use in the bronze/iron age, notably the Durance.

No-one knows the exact route Hannibal took over the Alps but the northern ones suggested by some seem daft. IMO he followed either the Isère or Durance. I’ve ridden both and the Durance is the obvious one for a man that had plenty of Gauls with local knowledge in his army by the time he got to Avignon. The fact he was prepared to fight his way across the Rhone at Avignon shows a preference for the Durance IMO.

My main source is a very good TV documentary on Hannibal along with biking/driving the routes and some Googling.

camo16
    Free Member

My main source is a very good TV documentary on Hannibal along with biking/driving the routes and some Googling.

What bike did you ride and could it hold a few spears?

Edukator
    Free Member

A roadie #hangs head in shame# with a frame pump.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hannibal's war elephants (bike sponsorship content)’ is closed to new replies.