Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hanging your bikes up in the garage.
  • scruff
    Free Member

4 bikes, gonna get some of the big cheap U hooks from Screwfix. Proper bikes ones cost alot and the money can be best spent elsewhere.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25264/Ironmongery/Hooks/Storage-Hooks/100Kg-Hooks-Black-210mm

Hang from roof, hooks 10 inches from wall using 2×4 timber screwed into Joists, with couple of blocks near lower wheel to stop swinging [?] Cant see how hooks would fix too well to wall without twisting.

Comments / suggestions welcome.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I have those hooks straight into the wall and there's no problem with twisting. The rim hangs off the outermost middle part of the hook so there is no twisting force applied in either direction. The nice thing about having them in the wall is that both tyres touch the wall so there's no swinging about. Prob a bit less pressure on the rim too.

allthepies
    Free Member

I use those same hooks screwed into a long piece of old skirting board which is just sitting loose across the garage roof joists. Has held three bikes for a few yrs.

tinsy
    Free Member

any agro getting the wheel in those with a bigish tyre on the rim?

I got hook sets from Lidl the other day, they took 2 screws into the side of a joist so the screws are in shear so cant pull out and the hook is a big L shape so its easy to get the wheel in, nothing needed at the bottom as gravity does its thing and they hang nice and straight.

Hook sets were a fiver and had about 7 various hooks in all good sizes.

uplink
    Free Member

It may be easier to buy two of those hooks & a 1.5" aluminium pole [B&Q do them for aerials – you may want to bend the hooks a bit to prevent any chance of the pole coming off
    Then simply hook the saddle over the pole – easier to get off too

You can't beat a pole for storing bikes on if you have the room

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hanging your bikes up in the garage.’ is closed to new replies.