Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hanging your bike by the rims – egg shaped cross max?
  • purplechair
    Free Member

I've seen a few storage solutions using nylon coated hooks to hang your bike on by the rims – can any wheeelbuilders out there give a view on this please. My understanding is the wheels strength is in the tension of the spokes where the hub 'hangs' in tension from the wheel – does hanging the bike by the rim point loaded on a hook have a detremental effect on your wheels – I don't fancy egg shaped boops for riding on. The bikes are likely to hang for a period of time (winter bike over summer and the like)

druidh
    Free Member

My bikes all hang up like this and I've never seen the issue to which you refer.

If you're worried, why not "rotate" the wheel by a few degrees every couple of weeks?

nbt

I've done this for several years and never had any problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nahh. It won't happen. If you'd ever tried to destroy an old rim for a laff like I did once, you'd know how hard it is to even bend one! Weight of a bike is not even close to enough to bend a fully built wheel
    🙂

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Never heard of such a problem occuring. The load is small really compaired to loads experienced during riding, plus its a tensile load on the spokes, and outside of the rim. It may over time mean you have to give the one or two of teh spokes a tighten due to creep but thats all.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, they'll be fine, your hanging loads are tiny. Hang away. Only problems could come from fork oil hanging upside down, but its a small likelyhood of a small problem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK. I've just been to the garage where I have 2 used rims hanging up, hung one off my fishing scales and swung on it. I maxed the scales out at 40lbs without even visibly flexing the rim. And that's a bare rim remember, not a fully built wheel! 🙂

epicyclo

I set the hooks so the back wheel is just touching the ground.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Luckily I've just proved that's pointless…!

😉 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hanging your bike by the rims – egg shaped cross max?’ is closed to new replies.