• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hanging Pictures, is there a more certain path to divorce?
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

“The one on left is lower than the one on the right.”

Aaarrgghhh.

seadog101

I gave my wife the hammer and the picture hooks one time. It didn’t require much polyfilla to put right.

billysugger
    Free Member

“The one on left is lower than the one on the right.”

Got a similar problem.

Give her the hammer and stand well back.

brant
    Free Member

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

many, many instances of conflict in my house related to this. I now get MrsP to hold picture exactly where she wants it. I draw pencil line around top corner, then mount pic to fit. no more arguments….about that anyway

project
    Free Member

a lady i worked with, her husband and her when they got married had a heraldic shield given them, moved to a ne house with a wall lamp, so he decided to hangf it below the lamp for illumination, put nail in hung shield, switched on lamp, she said it was crooked reached out touched shield and electrocuted himself, threw him accross room.

Beware cables may run up or down wall or even diagonally, as a mate found also found out

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I must have an understanding partner. She doesn’t obsess over any geometric discrepancies between hanging photos. She does question why they all have to be of various xgfs in naked but tasteful (more or less) poses though. Women! 🙄

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Mine have been hung using a tape measure and a spirit level.

It’s still not accurate enough. Where’s my theodolite?

maccruiskeen

My dad had a superb debacle. He painted a set of 10 identical sized pictures to hang along one wall in his living room. Measured them, measured the wall, minused the width of the pics from the length of the wall, divided by 10. That gave his spacing.

Working from the left he starts hanging – drilling two holes and rawl plugging each one, spirit levelling the next. 3/4 of the way across he stands back and realises his line in falling off – checks the sprit level ….. and its not level.

Dammit. Takes them all down, adjusts the level and starts again, same measures between but a couple of inches higher to avoid the holes he’s just drilled (knowing he’s now going to have to take the pictures back off later to fill and repaint the wall).

Drill measure level fix Drill measure level fix Drill measure level fix Drill measure level fix

Gets almost to the end and realised he’s going to end on a picture tight into to the corner, with no space on the right. Dammit – 10 pictures means 11 spaces – not 10.

Takes them all down again. length of wall, minus 10 paintings divided by 11

Drill measure level fix Drill measure level fix Drill measure level fix Drill measure level fix

Gets to the end and theres a space on the right just as there should be…… but theres also one painting spare – he’d painted 11 pictures, not 10. 🙂

Took them all down again and finally hung all 11 on a wall that looked like it had been strafed by machine-gun fire.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hang the wife and then get hammered!!!

granny_ring

Just hang one picture, sorted. 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

granny_ring – Member
    Just hang one picture, sorted.
    POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

That would be no easier, as there would be something else to line it up from.

kayak23

adjustable picture hooks Innit…

No more divorce 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It is no coincidence that Victorians had both very low divorce rates and, the commonsense to use picture rails. Fine adjustments could easily be made in a moment.

Obviously the legal right to give your wife a damn good thrashing also undoubtedly helped, but I’m sure the picture rail reduced the need to preform this unpleasant but sometimes necessary duty.

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy takes over here. Thankfully shes an absolute perfectionista and coupled with a specific interest in detail, that and having her own Interior Design business means I get off all the household “improvements”.
    We had (when we first met) one great bust up over my front room layout, to this day I leave all that stuff up to her.

I say if in doubt, hand the reins over.

granny_ring

You have my sympathy, luckily our gaffs walls are all over the shop so I can get away with it.

br
    Free Member

Never use a level, do it by eye.

It doesn’t matter how ‘level’ it is, if it doesn’t look level…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hanging Pictures, is there a more certain path to divorce?’ is closed to new replies.