Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hanging kitchen wall units on dot and dab wall
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Well, technically in the utility room which is breeze block with a dot and dab plasterboard over the top. Just need a couple of useful wall units over the top of the washer and dryer. Two 1000mm units will fit nicely in the space.

Relatively handy in terms of DIY but never put wall units up before.

Presume the standard route is putting some batons screwed firmly through into the brickwork and then screw units onto said batons?

IA

Ikea units you mount a metal rail to the wall (nice big screws/anchors/to suit bricks/whathaveyou), get that level and flat, then the units hang off that.

I’d recommend that, as it’s nice and easy to level/flatten them as you’re not manhandling a heavy thing about to get it all lined up etc, you can shim it easily to account for uneven walls and put in as many fixings as is appropriate, not limited to the corners of the units etc.

Head to the kitchen section of their website and there are how-to videos showing how it works.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll take a look at that rail – it was a couple of Wickes units I was looking at cheapo (plus they’re local and Ikea, whilst local, is well, Ikea!).

Cheers.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I asked the builder on our last house that was dot and dab about such things.

He said to drill through the plaster into the breeze, then push your plug through so that it is sat flush with the surface of the breeze (ie. inside the wall) – you might need to snip the top of your plug off if its got a collar on it, then use a screw around 1″ longer to account for the gap between the wall surface and breeze surface.

Works really well.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

As others said, drill, plug and screw into the block behind – plenty of long plugs for this. Done it for some time. Spread the load as much as possible as always, but if you have a decent length plug it’s easy.

Would go for a long plug that bridges, as you may snap the plasterboard as it gets pulled towards the wall by the force of screwing the cab on

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hanging kitchen wall units on dot and dab wall’ is closed to new replies.