Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hanging bikes by their front wheel…
  • jamesy01
    Free Member

Just Lined the garage wall and put up some bike hangers.
    Any reason why I shouldn’t alternate the wheel by which they are hung?
    I’m thinking front, rear, front, rear to save bars getting tangled in cables/hoses!

nosedive
    Free Member

They stand up easier if you rest the back wheel on the floor and hold the bike up by the front. You can get them pretty close together if you put the bars on a slight twist

scotroutes

It’s fine to do as you suggested. I have done the same for years with no problems. Put them high enough and you’ll still have room for boxes of stuff on the floor below them.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its a bit of a sod lifting a bike to hang from its back wheel, as you don’t have the handle bars to lift the bike with as you would with the front wheel.

Mind, I did exactly that for a few years when space was tight.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Thats how I do mine-no problems at all-Just don’t stack them so close that you can’t get the one out that you want to ride!

maccruiskeen

vary the height of the hangers so that you can get them all front-wheel up for easiness and still get them close together

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

AQR lackey band the brake levers when hanging to avoid brake issues.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If you put the hooks at the right level the bikes, IMO, should have their rear wheel on the floor and their fore their weight with the hook simply holding the bike vertically.

scotroutes

No need with Shimano

and then you lose floorspace

captain-slow
    Free Member

always been worried about wheel being pulled out of shape so hang bikes by handlebars…

aracer
    Free Member

Do you live on Mercury?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Captain Slow:
    The wheel is going to have 11-15kg hanging on it max. What is your 70kg+ body weight leaning on the front wheel going to do it? (OK your body weight is split across two wheels, but you see what I mean).

Used to hang bikes of all sorts and weights by the front wheel at Halfords. Never had any problems other than scratches if we put too many bikes in the racks.

captain-slow
    Free Member

no, I live on kebabs 😉

captain-slow
    Free Member

Seriously, I understand the weight of the bike is a fraction of the weight of the rider, but the time the weight is applied for multiplies the effect. I might ride for 150 hours in a year, but my bike could be hung up for 7,500 hours

Anybody remember those physics o level things where they hung a small weight on a piece of wire for ten years and it stretched enormously – just never fancied that happening to my spokes

qwerty
    Free Member

If you install an anti gravity device your wheels won’t be affected by their 10 year hang.

cynic-al
    Free Member

but the time the weight is applied for multiplies the effect

No it doesn’t.

scotroutes

But the odds are that it would be a different spoke after each ride, so it would even out…..

sweaman2
    Free Member

Captain_slow. Google yield stress.

If you stay below the yield stress nothing will happen.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hanging bikes by their front wheel…’ is closed to new replies.