Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hanging basket / physics / aeroplane elevator question.
  • bearnecessities

I’d like some baskets with flowers at necessities towers, at the front.

It gets sodding windy. Previous baskets fixed to rear of house, have suffered viola decapitation due to extreme wind.

If I get hanging baskets, rather than fixed, will the energy absorbing nature of the swinging of the basket, reduce the force exerted on flowers……?

I can’t decide..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pampas grass out front.

takisawa2

Pampas Grass & Stone Cladding.
    Win.

scaredypants

Pampas grass out front.

I thought Brazilians were in now

thecaptain
    Free Member

I guess you could hope that the ability to sway might reduce the peak forces a bit, but I wouldn’t bank on it. Probably better to think of shelter or using tougher plants. Dianthus work well for me (also pretty windy).

duffle
    Free Member

Paint your house pink that way when people pass by the sharp intake of breath should subdue the breeze coming across the Moor 😉

garage-dweller

Replace flowers with concrete and become a true suburban gardener?

I’m not sure a swinging basket will help. More robust foliage needed i reckon.

hols2
    Free Member

will the energy absorbing nature of the swinging of the basket, reduce the force exerted on flowers

No.

richmars

Worse. The basket will swing with the wind (less wind), then swing back, so the flowers will see the air speed of the basket swinging (into the wind) plus the wind speed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

More robust foliage

😯

midlifecrashes

Do you need a hanging basket that’s MOAR Aero or MOAR Enduro?

nedrapier

And if it’s sodding windy, and near a house, it’s probably going to be sodding gusty, which might mean you’re sweeping up compost and violas from the patio.

matt_outandabout

Wall mounted cold frame?
    Banksy-esque mural of flowers?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hanging basket / physics / aeroplane elevator question.’ is closed to new replies.