Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hanging a bike horizontally on a wall?
  • mansonsoul
    Free Member

Hello everyone,

I want a rack for my mountain bike for the wall of my flat, so that when it is not being used it hangs out of the way. Because of the space, I am looking for one that hangs the bike horizontally, from under the top tube perhaps.

I’ve seen the cycloc one,http://www.cycloc.com/ but 60 quid for a plastic bucket with cutouts is taking the piss a bit.
    Also so this, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5427
    But it still seems a bit much for what it is.

Anyone seen any neat soloution for this, or some great big hooks or something?

Thankyou.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96114/Ironmongery/Hooks/Storage-Hooks/Retractable-Bracket-Black-320mm

£9 from screwfix? Not sure of the width – might need a bit of balancing or just get two.

Alterantively, these are £6.50 for two, will take 60Kg and you can slide some hose pipe or other soft rubber tube onto them as a bump.
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77659/Ironmongery/Hooks/Storage-Hooks/Storage-Hooks-Black-250mm-Pack-of-2

tinsy
    Free Member

Yes, big hooks availiable at B&Q, lidl currently has bike hoists in at the moment (at least last week they did) could put them against the wall too.. Will need to undo the stem steerer clamp bolts and twist the bars inline with the wheel to get it snug against a wall..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grumm
    Free Member

Lidl had one of those winch things in recently. I might be getting rid of an aldi bike rack similar to the crc link soon if you’re interested.

AlasdairMc

Will need to undo the stem steerer clamp bolts and twist the bars inline with the wheel to get it snug against a wall..

Or remove the front wheel?

sharki
    Free Member

3 ‘hooks, fa the bars and saddle nose.
    Some nice pully sytems out there, but i’d put it in the way so you’d need to keep movong it, that way you’ll use it more.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Didn’t you do woodwork at school?

Go and try it – you might surprise yourself

tinsy
    Free Member

Ha ha, yep thats an easier method Alasdair!

sturmey
    Free Member

My brother used to have a dado rail in his kitchen that was ideal for storing his tandem. Sit your bike wheels on the top edge of the dado rail and secure the top tube by means of a hook in the wall and a loop of para cord or the likes from the hook round the top tube and back on to the hook. Obviously the bike is not parallel to the wall just slightly leaning out at the top.

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s a nice solution sturmey

AB
    Free Member

Got the Velomann one from this link – it’s great, but only fits 2 MTBS.

Tracey

Use these in our garage from Decathlon £9.99, very sturdy, will take two bikes

Tracey

I_did_dab
    Free Member

You’ll be needing a mountain ledge then…hangs from the pedal and cantilevers to the wall.
    mountain ledge clicky
    I have two unused in my garage – let me know if you’re interested…

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,

I_did_dab, can’t quite see who that works, does it not put a lot of levering forces through the fixings and the crank?

igm

Two hooks for a quid or so from Tescos, take the front wheel off and spin the bars, hang the front wheel from the pedal that rests against the wall. The hooks grab the saddle and the bars. Minimalist but it works and absolutely maximises space.

younggeoff

problem with the mountain ledge is you need something for one of the wheels to sit on to stop it tipping forwards or bakwards 🙁

Daniel
    Free Member

Ikea. They do a galvanised vertical telescopic pole, and bike hangers which fit on the pole. Works out about £12 (I think). I’ve two (for storing four bikes) and have had no problems. Its caller’broder’and is in amongst the storage section in the catalogue.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have hung them upside down from the ceiling before – need high ceilings (and tall-ness) I suppose

I_did_dab
    Free Member

It does work if you have a flat wall long enough to support both wheels as well. Use long screws! An architect or engineer will be along soon to explain the balance of forces – but my A-level physics says the weight is mostly vertical hanging from the crank and spread by the crank pulling on the bracket and the wheels pushing on the wall. Unless you’re mounting a downhill beast they work just fine.

MartinGT
    Free Member

If your wall is horizontal I would be worried?

Surly the space saving idea you would want it vertically? I.e flat against the wall :S

Olly
    Free Member

Lidl currently have a cable hoist thingy at the mo

mefty
    Free Member

Used to use Tusk hooks in a communal hall Tusk – worked pretty well and have a place to lock to

bensales
    Free Member

I just use a pair of B&Q shelf brackets with some pipe insulation on them to protect the paintwork.

Cheap and works.

theflatboy
    Free Member

how about one of these, attached to the ceiling instead:

stumpy01

I’ve got a couple of large ‘hooks’ from somewhere like B&Q to stick my bike on the wall in the shed. They are about a foot long with a bit of a kick up at the end I guess to stop anything sliding off. They are covered in soft blue plastic so the frame doesn’t get scratched (alhtough it’s totally knackered anyway). I have got one that goes just behind the headtube and the other sits where the chainstay part of the swingarm joins the shock link. The wheels fit on the remaining length of hook if I so wish to hang them too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hanging a bike horizontally on a wall?’ is closed to new replies.