Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • “Hang on, lads, I’ve got a great idea.”
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now we all know that they simply HAD to get the gold back. After all, Mr Bridger wouldn’t have been happy with a failure, now would he…..

My thinking is like this.
    Everyone goes to the front of the bus, as far forward as possible. Then, smash one of the windows and dangle the lightest chap out to the ground to pick up any rocks he can get hold of. Keep doing this as much as possible, then get everyone else to hang out of the front of the bus (Extra leverage) while the lightest chap gets as much rock as he can carry from nearby to keep loading. After his weight has been well covered by rocks, keep on adding as many as possible.

Then, get the light chap to get back in the bus and go down to the gold, bringing it back one bit at a time to the front of the bus, where the weight of it will gradually allow for balance.

Or, alternatively, just jump out and then go collect the gold later.

Your versions, please.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Are there any rocks within reach on the road? I’m not convinced…

😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Use the inertia of the bus, get one person to hang out the front window as far as possible, send the second to run back to the gold, grab a bar, run to front. Increasing mass at front of bus will help to balance bus and reduce oscillations.

Filthy
    Free Member

First they all need to get in the cab, then send the lightest person out to collect rocks or….

You would imagine they might be a bit of rope lying around the bus, they could lasso the gold and haul it to the front.

The obvious thing that annoys me though is the fact that instead of one person going to get the gold, they all try to shuffle down the bus, now if the rest of em had got far forward in the cab then one person could grab the gold and start throwing it up the bus.

Still its better than the crap american remake.

jimmy

Dont they all start making a move for the gold which starts to tip the bus? I reckon get everyone to the front and thats enough for one person to start collecting it. And after 5 bars the Caribinieri turn up, stand by while you finish the job help themselves to the gold, pretend like it didn’t happen and continue smoking / eyeing up women with their mirrored glasses and greasy hair. Carry on, niente to see qui.

Harry_the_Spider

IIRC there was a sequel written where they all jumped out and the gold went over the side and into the hands of the Mafia. The new film was all about them stealing it back.

For whatever reason they never made it.

But I could have dreamt it…

pistonbroke
    Free Member

That’s a bit spooky, was watching this last night whilst on turbo. Anyone up for a spot the mistake quiz in the Italian Job (original version only). I’ll start with a couple of obvious ones, fixing the differential whilst under the rear of a front wheel drive mini.Left and right hand drive Fiat car transporters.
    Brilliant film though!!

woffle
    Free Member

Wasn’t there recently a bunch of scientists or mathematicians who ‘solved’ this and gave a definitive answer to how to rescue gold and people…

alpin
    Free Member

@ woffle, yes. and CFH has pretty much recited the ‘approved’ outcome. think it was infact a competition to come up with the best solution. was a few months back. remember reading the article on the train…..

djglover
    Free Member

Deja vu?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I knew it had been covered, didn’t read it though!

Heard something on R4 with some chap suggesting they urinate on the gold as it would cause some sort of reaction!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think they should man up and ride the fecker down the hill 🙂

Really shouldnt search for urine and gold while at work. However gold is fairly inert – I think you’d need a LOT of urine to make any chemical change.

sharki
    Free Member

I’d rather try to be more clever about it….if i remember the bus was pivoting nicely, so we’d need to counter balance the front gradualy, getting everyone out of the bus, now with the bus balancing on the pivot point we can all start to push the front round until the rear wheels are back over the road…now the hard bit, we need to get the bus off it’s pivot…assuming it’s resting on a bit of the old verge we’d need to make sure it doen’t stay grounded, so the verge may need shamfering to causing the bus to drop off the pivot point at some stage during the rotation…the aim is to still be able to drive off the mountain and to not have to keep moving the gold around by hand, of course the prop maybe damaged so this all needs to be accounted for

coffeeking
    Free Member

Have you ever tried pushing a grounded car? Or a bus? You wont, without dozens of people.

Filthy
    Free Member

tow truck 💡

did they have mobiles in the 60’s? 😕

sharki
    Free Member

It wasn’t grounded at that point in the film, it was balancing at a point, if this point could be found with everyone out of the vehicle and given the extra leverage that a bus has over a car, i believe it to be possible, but agree would need a good few men to get it moving……

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thought they left it ticking over until the fuel was used up – the fuel tank being at the front. Then the bus would be more stable so the gold could be recovered

coffeeking
    Free Member

Interesting thought TJ – wasnt aware the tank was up front in a bus.

jonb
    Free Member

WAsn’t it in new scientist? Did involve smashing windows and letting the tyres down. Off to google…

aracer
    Free Member

I thought they left it ticking over until the fuel was used up – the fuel tank being at the front. Then the bus would be more stable so the gold could be recovered

If the tank was at the front, wouldn’t that have the opposite effect to the one they wanted?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aracer Is it the back of the bus that overhangs the edge? The fuel tank must be at the back then.

I seem to remember reading that that is the answer in an interview with Caine

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Should have asked the film crew to help

anokdale
    Free Member

Your only supposed to blow the bloody doors off – Brilliant

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You’ve lost ‘im ‘is no claims bonus

Best film ever

aracer
    Free Member

Aracer Is it the back of the bus that overhangs the edge?

There’s a piccy at the top of the thread to help you out 😉

richwales

they take off their shirts, tie them in a huge lassoo, throw it round the gold. pull the gold towards them which stabilises the bus. 2 jump off, hijack 2 cars, hook the cars to the bus, pull the bus off the cliff – home for tea!

shoefiti
    Free Member

Some IT guy said he solved it and won some cash or a trip to itali or something i saw in the paper recently – either way i’d send that prick of a driver to do anything dangerous to aid my escape – i mean really driving like that – whilst drinking in a bus with loads of gold (unsecured i might add) round mountain roads – what a tit!

Also has any noted the size of the gold stash – how the hell did they get that in the boot of 3 minis! plus they were coopers they have 2 fuel tanks so even less room – you couldn’t of fit enough gold in them to make a set of Ratners 9 carat earings for Pat frickin Butcher.

Gary_C

Give Gordon Brown a call…….
    He’ll make the gold disappear 😆

MrSparkle

I can’t help thinking that it’s all too late now…

aracer
    Free Member

For GB or the Italian Job?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘“Hang on, lads, I’ve got a great idea.”’ is closed to new replies.