Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Handshaking etiquette
  • 2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of instances that made me think…

Was introduced to two medical reps at work, man & woman. Introduced to woman first, i said hello, no shake offered, then introduced to man, he put his hand out. Made me think, do I go back & shake womans hand, or has the moment passed?

Another at a job interview. 3 people on panel. 1 manager i knew but had not seen in a week or two, the other manager i had not met before, the third, my manager who i had been speaking to a few minutes before interview.
    I go in & shake hands with the one i’d not met, & the one i’d not seen in a while, but to shake the one i’d just been speaking to seems weird?

I’m not that big on handshaking anyway, maybe working in healthcare where hand hygiene is so important has put me off.

It’s quite funny, the socially awkward moments where people aren’t sure what to do.

So what’s the consenses? To shake or not to shake?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Depends who you are introduced to.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thumb on the third knuckle of your right hand? You’re being recruited…

djglover
    Free Member

Brief but firm, like the best ****s

schrickvr6
    Free Member
    loddrik
    Free Member

I tend to shake hands with the weakest of handshakes. It’s my way of saying that it’s all bllx and I don’t buy into it.

Blower
    Free Member

spit on hand first then firm Yorkshire hand shake 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

That piston heads thread is a classic.

Cougar

It’s the funniest thing I’ve ever read in the last half an hour. Good spot.

DrJ

Shake everyone’s hand. Then no-one seems left out.

When I worked in France we spent at least half the day shaking peoples’ hands, even the ones we’d shaken hands with only 5 minutes before.

tang
    Free Member

Only shake the hand of a lady if it is offered.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve been on club rides where everyone shakes everyone else’s hands before they all set off. Its not a bad idea really, been on quite a few club rides where you will only talk to a few people, and barely see the majority.

Also had a mate go and ride in florida for a few weeks with a club there, and he said they did a fist bumping session after every ride.

Also from badminton, you always shake hands after a game. Left handed people always have really cold right hands (obviously) and I’ve met a few people who shake with their left hand but upside down (wtf?). But the worst are the people who have really sweaty hands after a game and just don’t wipe their hand on their shorts (how hard is it???).

allthepies
    Free Member

(how hard is it???).

If they wiped their hand on their shorts then they’d find out ?

GrahamS

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVVjpVZP8I[/video]

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shake hands with men, firm right-hand grasp, left hand on his right bicep. For women, grasp the both upper arms lightly and kiss both cheeks firmly.

Let no-one escape. 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

Give them all a Brezhnev kiss.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hUWqZyxZUA[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

I tend to shake hands with the weakest of handshakes. It’s my way of saying that it’s all bllx and I don’t buy into it.

I had an aquaintance who did that.. it felt like shaking hands with an ill.. fishlike entity.. which is how people came to think of him eventually.. I wonder if he knows or cares..?

addy6402

I’ll offer a handshake to whoever I meet for business. Firm shake for the blokes. A limp handshake just makes me think they are a wet lettuce – usually true…

lodious
    Free Member

There are people who take the firm handshake thing a bit to far and use it as an opportunity for what’s basically a physical assault under the guise of a greeting. I know two people who do this, and it really pees me off. Horrible macho nastiness.

NZCol

Our tight knit crew of chaps do a fair bit of man love and hugging. I like it.

andrewh
    Free Member

What do men do standing up, women do sitting down and dogs do on three legs?

Shake hands.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Shake. NO! don’t shake, errrrrr, yes Shake. no. Yes! Look them in the eye then stab them in the face with something from the stationary cupboard. to get your point across. I suggest a red bic biro. Then an ink eraser?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yawn

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Handshaking etiquette’ is closed to new replies.