Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • hands up if you're in germany (or austria)
  • alpin
    Free Member

Grais di,

there have been quite a few posts of late that seem to stem from those in the ehmaliger drittereich.

so, who are you? where are you? what you doing? and why you here?

me, northern Bavaria. English teacher and MTB Guide. Girlfriend.

MSP

Darmstadt, suckling from the public sector nipple, general slacker.

andytherocketeer

/me puts hand up. also in darmstadt.

Elbows

I'm in Augsburg – Schwaben/Bayern – apparently the least friendly city in south Germany! however, one hour to the Alps :mrgreen:, 1 1/2 into the Allgau, so also good for road riding 😳
    Alpin – where are you? perhaps we could meet up for some 'isotonic' Erdinger?

edsbike
    Free Member

Moving to Lenggries (hour south of Munich) in 3 weeks – can't wait, although not quite sure what to expect yet.

Ed

stumpy01

alpin, whereabouts are you? I lived in Northern Bavaria for 6 months in Helmbrechts, near Hof while I was at uni (quite a few yrs ago). It's about an hour north of Nurnberg.
    Regular haunts were Bayreuth, Kulmbach, Bamberg, Naila (shady night club called DC-1) and we used to go out in Plauen (old East Germany) every now & again with some work colleagues.

Bavaria's a great place and my old Apollo bike did many miles around the area!

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Griaß eich

me too…
    Innsbruck, working at the university, got offered a job here.

higthepig
    Free Member

I'm in the south Nederlands , today I can spit and it will land in Germany, if I try tomorrow it may land in Belgium!

Agree about Bavaria though, top place, spent a lot of time riding around Garmish etc.

andytherocketeer

used to live in Zuid Holland prior to here (Leiden). if I spat though, the wind would blow it back in my face. doesn't matter where you ride there, it's always in to the wind, and the only DH is on the other side of a verkeersdrempel.

guattang
    Free Member

Lived in Munich for about 5 years now, no plans to leave …

MisterP
    Free Member

Am based in Salzburg at the mo.

spoilt for choice for riding really. Am loving the fact that winter is cold and fun, and summer is warm and fun! no miserable part of the year!
    Now just need for find some people to ride with – not good when you cannot speak the lingo…am trying tho…

Selled
    Free Member

Servus…

I am in Kramsach between Innsbruck & Kufstein…. Working in an electronics company here and generally enjoying the mountains with my family.

Sven

Other way around here, I am German but living in Calderdale (of all places) at the moment, have lived in Frankfurt, Darmstadt and Goettingen back then. Moved to the UK due to girlfriend – now wife, with spells in California in between…

> Grais di
    > Griaß eich
    Even I can't understand this…

Sven

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Even I can't understand this…

My colleagues here have done their best to teach me the Tirolean dialect – unfortunately they were more successful than my German teacher so I now often have issues talking to colleagues from northern Germany. I got very excited when someone in Ikea thought I was from south Tirol but everyone else reckons it's a terrible insult to my language abilities!

alpin
    Free Member

mahlzeit…..

Sven

Okay okay, I figured what you two meant!
    'Mahlzeit' is a personal favorite of mine amongst the curiosities of the German language.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Groß Gott

andytherocketeer

Oberpfaffenhofen

got colleagues that work there

Sandwich

Buzz did you mean Grüss Gott? Grandparents used to live outside Graz.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah sorry I did.

Andy: at DLR, Ruag, the base?

ash

not in Germany or Austria, but… härzlichi grüess uus dr Schwiiz !

andytherocketeer

Buzzlightyear: DLR

Selled
    Free Member

and what a strain living here is.. just got back from a quick 1000hm before breakfast and then relaxing with the family on the first day of the long holiday weekend!!!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Moin!I am living in Leipzig over in the eastern part of Germany. Have been for the past ten years (gulp!).

jimthesaint

hands up if you're in germany

I've suddenly got this mental image of a load of people in Germany with their right hand in the air. I think a famous Austrian asked a similar question in 1933

hands up if you're in nuremberg

zaskar
    Free Member

LMAO!

LOL~jim the saint!

😆

Oh how I want to post an image…

Germany has some beautiful scenary, enjoy you lucky things!

andytherocketeer

on the first day of the long holiday weekend!!!

and best of all there's 2 more to come by early June 🙂
    Nice compensation for bank holiday Saturday on May01
    We had 5 day Easter again this yr too 🙂

codebauer
    Free Member

I've been in Munich for a few years now…

@edsbike: What are you doing in Lenggries? Pretty small place…

@guattang
    : Is that your blue Inbred I see outside the flotation tank place?

Happy Church day!!

br
    Free Member

I got very excited when someone in Ikea thought I was from south Tirol but everyone else reckons it's a terrible insult to my language abilities!

While working over there someone once asked me if I was from East Germany…, yes my accent was really that bad.

alpin
    Free Member

I've seen an orange Inbred locked up outsite Karstadt Oberpollinger, Munich, a few times now. does it belong to one of you?

edsbike, Lenggries. nice spot. was there a few weeks ago after riding from Schliersee – Tegernsee – Lenggries. don't kill yourself in the bike park…..

@ stumpy01, i'm in Coburg, not that far from Bamberg. but once the GF is done with her diploma i/we're off; hopefully down south, but it depends on where she gets offered a job.

@ Selled, yes they've a lot of bankholidays, but unless you've got a proper job with regular hours (me, zum beispiel) then it just means you've got no milk, bread or eggs.

@ Roter Stern, i've got a mate in Leipzig. keep wanting to make a trip up there and take a look around. heard lots of good things.

stumpy01

@ alpin – Coburg is almost directly west of Helmbrechts (which is just off the A9).

I only went to the airport at Leipzig!

Dresden's worth a weekend visit. I was there for a week's training course & it just so happened that when I was there, they had a massive music festival where you bought a wrist band & it got you into bars and clubs across the whole city. Was great.

I loved the way that they'd use any building to hold a fest. In Helmbrechts there was a Feuerwehr fest where they just chucked the fire engines into the yard & everyone partied in the fire station.

I also loved the fact that the rest of Germany considered Bavaria & the Bavarians to be the worst that Germany had to offer, whereas in fact I found they were the friendliest people & it was most fun place to live. A girl I was seeing over there was very proud when I started using dialect in everyday conversation!

andytherocketeer

Own up… who owns the Cotic Roadrat, the yellow Cotic Soul, the OnOne something (Scandal?), the Ribble road bike (not seen that for a while), at work ?

(My Soul is black and never gets left in the work bike sheds)

RoterStern
    Free Member

Yeah I always find the Bavarians really friendly when ever I am in Bavaria, yet all my friends here in Leipzig utterly hate them. For example during the Champion's League clash of Man U and Munich quite a sizeable proportion of the crowd in the bar were cheering on Man U.

@ Alpin. Leipzig is a fun city if you are a tourist. It's got a big uni and so lots of students. On the MTB front hills are few and far between but there is a forest that dissects the city so you are never far from some off roading all be it of the flat variety.

edsbike
    Free Member

codebauer and alpin:

I've got a job with an English holiday company for the summer – I'll be maintaining a fleet of bikes for 3 months, and ferrying luggage and bikes around, will be going as far as Geneva and Salzburg.

Coming out on the 8th June, til mid September. Looking forward to it – should have plenty of time to ride in the afternoons and the riding around there looks pretty good as far as I can tell, but any advice anyone could give would be great.

Ed

codebauer
    Free Member

I'm not an expert on that area, but the routes I've done around there are good. The Moser bike guides seem to have lots of routes, you should check them out first.

If you have problems with the German you can try and translate them on Google! I read about someone scanning->OCRing->GoogleTranslating the descriptions! But there is also a map, usually with a thousand alternatives ;o)

andytherocketeer

scanning->OCRing->GoogleTranslating

seems a bit OTT. I just got ADFC / Meki map map from here and explored, and used German guidebook for Slovenia. Even though my language skills are dire, it's not too difficult to work out what's meant.

Now Luxembourgish…. that's a different matter. Note to self: don't go to a .lu forum expecting to understand it, even with a knowledge of German, French and Dutch.

MSP

andy, if your at esoc, then the yellow soul and the on-one are mine. Although the on-one has been swapped out for a pipedream sirius this week

edsbike
    Free Member

Will check out the Moser guides, which one do you have codebauer, I'm not familiar with the area at all?

Got a Garmin so hoping to download some routes onto that too. Will have plenty of time to explore though 🙂

vikingboy
    Free Member

Frankfurt – moved here 6 weeks ago from Berkshire.

MSP

Look at http://www.gps-tour.info/de/touren.html if you want to download some routes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘hands up if you're in germany (or austria)’ is closed to new replies.